Art and Photography

Anyone here use a threaded shutter release cable?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2017 3:54 pm
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6664 posts
1795 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The mechanical releases are typically a standard thread back from the old film days. I would suspect that yours should be the same.

NOTE> These are mechanical devices so build/fit and finish do matter as I've seen some cheapo ones come part when used (the black plastic typically separates from the chrome parts).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
craftsman wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 2:35 pm
The mechanical releases are typically a standard thread back from the old film days. I would suspect that yours should be the same.

NOTE> These are mechanical devices so build/fit and finish do matter as I've seen some cheapo ones come part when used (the black plastic typically separates from the chrome parts).
You got any suggestions on a high quality release to buy?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6664 posts
1795 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 3:10 am
You got any suggestions on a high quality release to buy?
Realistically, the vast majority are crappy these days as none of the major manufacturers make them. Generally, they are only available as 'house brand' or close to house brand items for the camera shops. The only hope you have for a good one is to see if one of the camera OEMs that makes a camera that uses a mechanical release actually sells one under their own name. I'm actually surprised that the camera OEMs went back to the mechanical release as it's more expensive for them to make it.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3226 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure about the Sony, but for the Fuji, why not use the app? Or is there a lag issue or something with that?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1878 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one long time ago from amazon (cheapest one) for my Fujifilm X100/T. Works great.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
xxgg wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:51 pm
I bought one long time ago from amazon (cheapest one) for my Fujifilm X100/T. Works great.
Which one?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1878 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry it was from ebay. Been too many years, I can't go back to search for it. Besides... that item won't be listed anymore anyways.

As far as I know, they are all same thread. Just get one.

I also have one called triggerTrap cable. This one is a 3.5mm jack on both ends, plugs into the camera and to smartphone with headphone jack (sorry, new phone don't have that anymore).

Anyways... don't worry and just get the you linked. You'll enjoy the old fashion way.