Careers

Anyone know about severance package/EI info?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2011 11:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 1, 2011
6 posts
Toronto

Anyone know about severance package/EI info?

Hello. Sorry to bother you but I am in a bit of trouble now, and will probably be in a lot of trouble later.

I was under the impression that if you are on the company's payroll, you don't get EI so I didn't apply for EI (I was laid off) until after my 2 month non-working notice ended. The website is pretty vague on the matter. It says I should apply for EI as soon as you stop working. Does this mean when you're not physically working anymore or after the non-working notice. I got severance on the last day of the non-working notice.

I'm afraid now that I will not get my benefits because I was stupid not to apply sooner and if I don't get EI I'm literally screwed unless I happen to land a job by then :(
6 replies
Oct 4, 2011
21 posts
2 upvotes
COQUITLAM
At this point, all you can do is submit the EI application and see what happens. No point worrying about it.

Although usually people are advised to apply for EI the day after they are laid off because there is a two week waiting period anyhow, and people don't want to wait any more time than they have to.
Jan 9, 2011
374 posts
33 upvotes
I got laid off two weeks ago, effective immediately, I received a severance package the next day but applied for EI as soon as I got home.

Sorry to hear, I know how you feel, I'd still apply.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1220 posts
82 upvotes
it's usually working notice, even though you're not working, you're still on payroll. Basically, they are paying you to stay home. So, yes you are working, they just sent you home while they are paying you. Apparently you also have severance, so this means that even if you apply for EI, you won't get to receive it until your severance money is exhausted. It's OK to apply for EI now.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4261 posts
472 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Apply ASAP, walk into a service canada and get help if you can.

If your on payroll, you are getting paid still, problem is with severance is you must claim as income on reports. Even if you don;t receive money till 2 months later.......

Also, with EI, they have prt time work ei, found out about this a few years ago, basically if your full time and work drops you to 20 hours, you can do ei reports and any weeks you make less they pay difference of what you shoudl be receving on EI ( basically 55% of your 40 hour earnings )

Also, you must submit your ROE form, if you just received it then you should be ok as they paid you out severance in past 2 months so the ROE will likely show as 40 hour weeks worked in these 2 months, thus not technically laid off till last day paid. If you received ROE 2 months ago, you may get denied, but then your option is to apply for welfare and they will help you try and get you unemployment and get off welfare.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1773 posts
108 upvotes
Southern ontario
Hot Ice wrote:
Nov 4th, 2011 10:41 am
it's usually working notice, even though you're not working, you're still on payroll. Basically, they are paying you to stay home. So, yes you are working, they just sent you home while they are paying you. Apparently you also have severance, so this means that even if you apply for EI, you won't get to receive it until your severance money is exhausted. It's OK to apply for EI now.

i would wait till severance is close to running out and then apply for ei
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
So much misleading information here. See my response @ ask-me-anything-about-ei-employment-ins ... st13705824

[QUOTE]While it is true EI benefits are not paybale while you are receiving severance/pay in lieu of notice, it is best to apply for EI benefits right away. If you receive salary continuance (where as you continue to receive salary and all the company benefits, such as medical and dental insurance), apply when your salary continuance ends. The day that your stops receiving salary continuance is your last day of work.

In your case, apply now. As long as the last day paid (block 11 on the record of employment) is within 28 days of the application date, you are good to go.[/QUOTE]