Request-A-Deal

Anyone know good places to buy a TV in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2014 5:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 2, 2005
116 posts
Toronto

Anyone know good places to buy a TV in Toronto?

My TV just busted and I'm looking for places that are not Best Buy or Future Shop to buy a new one. Can anyone recommend and good stores in Toronto to go & check out some TVs? Thanks!
10 replies
Jun 14, 2006
527 posts
23 upvotes
GTA
carnage6 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2007 11:22 pm
My TV just busted and I'm looking for places that are not Best Buy or Future Shop to buy a new one. Can anyone recommend and good stores in Toronto to go & check out some TVs? Thanks!
G&G Electronics

:arrow: http://www.ggelectronics.com/

P.S: Wrong section
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3443 posts
148 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Agreed, wrong section, but I highly recommend TeleCity Electronics.

http://www.telecityelectronics.ca/home/index.php

They have 3 locations in the GTA: Scarborough, Yonge in downtown Toronto, and Brampton.

Great prices and fairly good service. We've bought a number of electronics from them.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2036 posts
24 upvotes
+1 for telecity, had a pleasant first time experience there but you kind of have to know what you want have and have a price in mind ur willing to pay.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2330 posts
87 upvotes
GTA
Depends on the brand and style of TV IMO. G&G is great, but not for all brands. I have no experience with Telecity but I've only ever heard positive things. Keep in mind you can and should haggle at big box stores like FS and BB for big ticket items, and they have rock solid return policies which may or may not be of interest to you. I used to work at an electronics retailer and managed to get a plasma from FS for below cost at my store!
May 5, 2006
177 posts
2 upvotes
If you look at everyday pricing, I think G&G Electronics has pretty competitive pricing. Plus, they're usually willing to negotiate.

If you're going to do a cash deal, you can probably get a good price from G&G. If you can wait until spring, they have their annual "Cop Sale", which usually has some pretty nice deals. Ask for Dave, he'll probably honour the pricing even if you aren't a cop.

Sometimes, G&G has "damaged carton" sales. Essentially, the tv's are brand new and in perfect condition, but the boxes are damaged, so they are discounted. I did a deal for my sister-in-law, and she got a 65" Wega from them at an amazing price!

I used to get great deals from Centre Hi-Fi, which is a smallish, family-run store in Whitby. The family who owns the store is Asian, but I used to deal with their main sales guy who was a Caucasian dude named Barry. He was hilarious! He would argue with the owners about pricing in front of me. They would always mutter, "No, no... too cheap...too cheap." But they would eventually give in. I don't know if this was a schtick, but I always got a great deal from them. Unfortunately, Barry went AWOL - never to return.

Please note, sometimes Future Shop or Best Buy has some crazy deals, which G&G and Centre Hi-Fi can't touch. If you browse online, sometimes you'll see that they marked down a tv by like $500 or $600. It won't even be advertised on a flyer.

If you look to finance, Future Shop and Best Buy has this deal where you can finance any TV over $1000 for 36 equal payments with zero interest. There is the standard admin. fee (I think it's between $100 to $140, I can't remember), but I was able to get Future Shop to waive it when I bought my plasma.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
shop around then go to G&G they have amazing high end items, knowledgeable staff and they have the lowest prices in the city (and they do pm's)...
[OP]
Jan 2, 2005
116 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the advice. I went to G&G and the TV I wanted was out of stock but their price was $500 lower than retail price so I went to FS and had them price match the G&G price so now my new TV will be here on Friday. Thanks for the info guys.
BTW, I know it is the wrong forum but I couldn't find one that was a good spot for this question. :)

PG
Dec 25, 2012
1 posts
Toronto
The_Professor wrote:
Sep 11th, 2007 8:48 am
Depends on the brand and style of TV IMO. G&G is great, but not for all brands. I have no experience with Telecity but I've only ever heard positive things. Keep in mind you can and should haggle at big box stores like FS and BB for big ticket items, and they have rock solid return policies which may or may not be of interest to you. I used to work at an electronics retailer and managed to get a plasma from FS for below cost at my store!

so what can you suggest for a two months tv broken screen purchased at bb is there any hope for me 50"
Nov 24, 2011
3 posts
Toronto
BD006 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2007 7:56 pm
Agreed, wrong section, but I highly recommend TeleCity Electronics.

http://www.telecityelectronics.ca/home/index.php

They have 3 locations in the GTA: Scarborough, Yonge in downtown Toronto, and Brampton.

Great prices and fairly good service. We've bought a number of electronics from them.
They do not show pricing on their site!
× < >