Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2017 12:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3408 posts
73 upvotes

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

Just curious if anyone has gotten it to work with something like unblockus? I signed up with amazon prime US no problems so I could get access to all there free streaming content and it works great on my Roku's and was going to pick up a Fire TV if they will work properly in Canada? Thanks for any info.
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
150 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1945 posts
336 upvotes
You could always just ask Unblock-us. If not you could always use a VPN.

You know Amazon Prime isn't free though... It's $100 (USD) a year after a one month trial.

If you're a Hulu user a VPN might not be a good option though.

Unless you want it for XBMC I'd wait a while and let others deal with the headaches.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6358 posts
191 upvotes
I've been using unblockus for over a year and have had zero problems with it. Works for everything, so far.
Sep 15, 2012
308 posts
25 upvotes
NB
Anyone have an idea when this thing is coming to Canada?
I could care less for the prime stuff, I just want it mainly for XBMC.

I know there is other solutions but this is a pretty straight plug and play once configured considering it comes with a remote etc kind of like the Apple TVs ($$$$$)
Sep 8, 2008
584 posts
111 upvotes
amazon just dropped the price down to $85. Still US only.
iPonik wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:14 am
Anyone have an idea when this thing is coming to Canada?
I could care less for the prime stuff, I just want it mainly for XBMC.

I know there is other solutions but this is a pretty straight plug and play once configured considering it comes with a remote etc kind of like the Apple TVs ($$$$$)
Jul 4, 2009
833 posts
36 upvotes
Mississauga area
I just bought the Amazon Fire TV last Thursday at Best Buy (in the US).
I use smartdnsproxy to be able to watch US Netflix, Hulu+ and Prime. My friend has an Amazon Prime account and I use his log in to watch (since he doesn't use it).
Everything works great, way better than when I was using PS3.

My next step is to set up XBMC, just been lazy to set it up.
Mar 31, 2007
364 posts
6 upvotes
Milton
I have this working with XBMC, unblock US and stream both Hulu and netflix (launch the apps inside XBMC and from the main menu). Was about 20 minutes total from unboxing to being fully working with XBMC. Just look for the pre build GUi tools such as adbfire and you can load XBMC easily. It's replaced both my Boxee and Apple TV. Just make sure you load Gotham 13.2 beta 3 or higher as it addresses some playback issues.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9232 posts
3332 upvotes
Ottawa
sjgill wrote:
Aug 19th, 2014 6:26 am
I have this working with XBMC, unblock US and stream both Hulu and netflix (launch the apps inside XBMC and from the main menu). Was about 20 minutes total from unboxing to being fully working with XBMC. Just look for the pre build GUi tools such as adbfire and you can load XBMC easily. It's replaced both my Boxee and Apple TV. Just make sure you load Gotham 13.2 beta 3 or higher as it addresses some playback issues.
Are you on WiFi or Ethernet? How's the WiFi is you're using that?
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7653 posts
423 upvotes
Scarborough
Just updated to the latest Gotham 13.2 via adb install - r xxx.apk it is all good. As a XBMC box, Fire TV is better than MiniX box in the update department. XBMC only works well with MiniX version of XBMC.
Oct 31, 2007
3204 posts
343 upvotes
Menace wrote:
Aug 19th, 2014 10:26 am
Just updated to the latest Gotham 13.2 via adb install - r xxx.apk it is all good. As a XBMC box, Fire TV is better than MiniX box in the update department. XBMC only works well with MiniX version of XBMC.
Just got one on eBay for $120 shipped which is fine by me. I only use Netflix (with unblockus) and XBMC and both work great. Easy setup, solid remote, and its nice and fast. I have used XBMC on ATV2's, OUYA and cheap china android sticks and the Fire is my box of choice due to its clean interface, speed and remote. Only thing stopping me getting another to replace the slow ATV2 is lack of AirPlay but that's not exactly the Fire's fault.
Jun 1, 2011
286 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
Ive heard upon initial setup you need to register it with an amazon account. Is it recommended to use a amazon.COM (US) account rather than a Canadian account?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7653 posts
423 upvotes
Scarborough
No, I use a Canadian account.
kymira wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 7:55 pm
Ive heard upon initial setup you need to register it with an amazon account. Is it recommended to use a amazon.COM (US) account rather than a Canadian account?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
2155 posts
672 upvotes
TORONTO
There is something a lot better out there. I got one of those MAG 250 boxes. It is essentially TV that comes through the internet. It is loaded with tons of multicultural channels as well as XBMC (if you wish to use it), skype, youtube, web browser, etc.

The provider that i got if from seems to differentiate himself in one key way: he offers Canadian and American channels as well (definitely everything i would want to watch plus tons of premium movie channels). To top it all, it has a big video on demand section loaded with 1000s of movies. The quality is superb!

The price was $200 for the box + 3 months of service and then $20/month afterwards. Each time you refer a friend, you get a free month added onto your account. I have a list of channels offered and if anyone is interested feel free to PM me.
Jan 19, 2006
195 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
How are you guys getting prime to work on the FireTV? I just picked one up and..

I'm using smartDNSProxy
I have my prime account set to a US address, etc.
Prime works fine on my PC in a browser (using DNS proxy of course)

However...it doesn't work on the FireTV. Just doesn't play the content. Can't seem to figure out why though given it works on the PC on the same network as the fireTV.

I did get XBMC loaded no problem though and WOW, what a great experience...The GUI is so fast. But I'd really like to get the prime content going too.

Thx
Sep 14, 2014
125 posts
23 upvotes
Barrie, ON
guppy98 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2014 10:17 pm
How are you guys getting prime to work on the FireTV? I just picked one up and..

I'm using smartDNSProxy
I have my prime account set to a US address, etc.
Prime works fine on my PC in a browser (using DNS proxy of course)

However...it doesn't work on the FireTV. Just doesn't play the content. Can't seem to figure out why though given it works on the PC on the same network as the fireTV.

I did get XBMC loaded no problem though and WOW, what a great experience...The GUI is so fast. But I'd really like to get the prime content going too.

Thx
Any resolutions? I've been going nutty here trying to get the Roku to play the US channels, but I can't use my VPN on it (Hotspot shield). Was really hoping that fire tv might do it. Anyone else using HSS successfully?