Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
Tags:
Nov 28, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
fmark wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm not sure whether it will work or not, but I thought to replace/sideload Canadian version of 'Prime Video' app and hopefully it will work.
Could someone with Canadian FireTV Stick please extract and share their PrimeVideos.apk file?
Thanks!
Please let me know if you do this and it works! I think it is very promising and it may fix my problem as well.
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
KristieM423628 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:16 pm
This is in reply to lexar above:
When the firestick first turns on, it asks for you to login to your Amazon account. I repeatedly tried to log into my amazon.ca account and it never let me. In frustration I finally just logged into my amazon.com account, which doesn't have prime, just so I could see how the firestick worked. After I used my amazon.com login, it popped up saying congratulations for registering your firestick. Then it asked if I wanted to use it with a different Amazon account. I said yes and then logged in using my amazon.ca email and password. It recognizes I am a prime member, but only shows me amazon.com prime previews, and when I click anything to play it, it says I am in the wrong region. So videos are not working yet. However, when I play music, it works. I still am trying to figure out how to get it to load amazon.ca prime previews instead of amazon.com previews.
Ok then!

That I have had for a while. My firetv works fine (photos and music) but does not work for prime video which seems to be region locked to the US.

I don't believe that will work until Amazon issues a patch to allow postal codes.
Apr 3, 2006
129 posts
28 upvotes
Delta
KristieM423628 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:41 pm
Please let me know if you do this and it works! I think it is very promising and it may fix my problem as well.
Ok... Last couple of days I was playing with my US FTV2 stick switching accounts between Canada and USA, reset to factory defaults, deregistered and registered. In the end I set country to the USA (for Alexa).
Today I installed app called AppStarter. Enabled "Show System apps" in the settings and there appeared Amazon Prime Video app(do not confuse with Video app). When I launched it - I got Canadian Prime videos working! For some reason the app does not appear on the main FireTV launcher screen, so you need some other launcher to start the app. I kinda like the AppStarter. :)

This is good enough solution for me at this point as I still have Alexa feature working and I can watch Canadian Prime videos through the app.
Just in case, I've extracted the PrimeVideo.apk file if someone wants to give it a try.
Apr 1, 2006
102 posts
3 upvotes
fmark wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:05 pm
Ok... Last couple of days I was playing with my US FTV2 stick switching accounts between Canada and USA, reset to factory defaults, deregistered and registered. In the end I set country to the USA (for Alexa).
Today I installed app called AppStarter. Enabled "Show System apps" in the settings and there appeared Amazon Prime Video app(do not confuse with Video app). When I launched it - I got Canadian Prime videos working! For some reason the app does not appear on the main FireTV launcher screen, so you need some other launcher to start the app. I kinda like the AppStarter. :)

This is good enough solution for me at this point as I still have Alexa feature working and I can watch Canadian Prime videos through the app.
Just in case, I've extracted the PrimeVideo.apk file if someone wants to give it a try.
First I installed the appstarter, followed your steps, and no sign of the Amazon Prime Video app. There were 2 different apps called Amazon video, which did nothing when I clicked on them. So, I installed your APK, an lo and behold, it updated one of those Amazon video apps, and loads a different style launcher that plays the Canadian prime. Decent work around for now. Thanks!
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
fmark wrote:

Awesome, that worked!!! great find.

Any idea how I can set the Amazon Video app as part of my apps without having to go through appstarter every time?
Apr 3, 2006
129 posts
28 upvotes
Delta
lexar123 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:00 pm
Awesome, that worked!!! great find.

Any idea how I can set the Amazon Video app as part of my apps without having to go through appstarter every time?
Great! Glad it worked. Unfortunately I don't know how to add it to the apps. I'm using AppStarter and it's working fine for now.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1907 posts
697 upvotes
YouTube is leaving the Fire TV.
YouTube will be pulled from the Echo Show today. Customers who own an Fire TV will start seeing a notification today warning them that the service will be unavailable as of January 1st, 2018.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Apr 26, 2006
138 posts
38 upvotes
Has anyone gone through the same steps as fmack on their ftv box (not stick) and get it to work?

I keep getting error 9353 after the prime video splash screen. I've also tried changing the us/Canada setting, deregister/re-register to no avail.... I haven't tried factory reset though and was hoping to avoid that....
Mar 25, 2008
31 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
I just got my firestick from canada. I have an account with both .com and .ca. I want to download some apps from .com but can’t it wont let me. If i switch country to usa in setting and would it let me switch back to Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1100 posts
256 upvotes
sjb2003 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:00 pm
I just got my firestick from canada. I have an account with both .com and .ca. I want to download some apps from .com but can’t it wont let me. If i switch country to usa in setting and would it let me switch back to Canada.
Try it and find out if you can't switch back just do a factory reset. As for the apps just sideload them or install aptoide and install from there..

Your text to link here...
Oct 17, 2007
860 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
fmark wrote:

do you have to set country to US in order to get appstarter? I can't find it in the app store on my Amazon Fire TV (not the stick). THanks.

EDIT

so using the app App2Fire from the playstore, i sideloaded Appstarter and also installed the prime video apk you kindly uploaded. however I don't see it under apps in AppStarter :S wonder if it makes a difference that i am trying this method with firetv not firetv stick..

EDIT

so i used ESfile explorer, went into the download folder and installed the prime.apk from there. now i can see the amazon prime video app in appstarter., but getting error code 9353 : (
Oct 17, 2007
860 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
cptsquirt wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:39 pm
First I installed the appstarter, followed your steps, and no sign of the Amazon Prime Video app. There were 2 different apps called Amazon video, which did nothing when I clicked on them. So, I installed your APK, an lo and behold, it updated one of those Amazon video apps, and loads a different style launcher that plays the Canadian prime. Decent work around for now. Thanks!
are you using the stick or the FTV box?
Apr 3, 2006
129 posts
28 upvotes
Delta
kit25 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 9:14 am
do you have to set country to US in order to get appstarter? I can't find it in the app store on my Amazon Fire TV (not the stick). THanks.

EDIT

so using the app App2Fire from the playstore, i sideloaded Appstarter and also installed the prime video apk you kindly uploaded. however I don't see it under apps in AppStarter :S wonder if it makes a difference that i am trying this method with firetv not firetv stick..

EDIT

so i used ESfile explorer, went into the download folder and installed the prime.apk from there. now i can see the amazon prime video app in appstarter., but getting error code 9353 : (
Sorry, I don't know whether the .apk extracted from a FTV Stick would work on a regular Fire TV.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7651 posts
423 upvotes
Scarborough
It doesn't work.
fmark wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 3:51 pm
Sorry, I don't know whether the .apk extracted from a FTV Stick would work on a regular Fire TV.
Oct 15, 2008
515 posts
122 upvotes
London
I was thinking about getting the fire stick when I’m in the US but from reading this it appears that sometimes it works and sometimes not right? Probably easier to get the Canadian version even though no alexa remote