Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 2:15 pm
Tags:
Dec 7, 2016
3 posts
Yep I bought one in the UK and I'm using it now in Canada
Dec 7, 2016
3 posts
Download es file explorer and google how to add kodi via it... it's a simple 5 minute process...
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Question lol, it's been a long time since installing Kodi on a firestick. I found it tricky. I installed from my Mac.

Is there a simpler way to install it? Maybe from the firestick?

I got the new stick yesterday.

Thanks
You could get Downloader from the Amazon.com store or es file manager. With downloader you just download to your Fire TV stick and then install. With ES FileManager you could use DropBox or a local smb or ftp server.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2270 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Question lol, it's been a long time since installing Kodi on a firestick. I found it tricky. I installed from my Mac.

Is there a simpler way to install it? Maybe from the firestick?

I got the new stick yesterday.

Thanks
This the process I go through.

- Add ES Explorer from your American Amazon account to your account. Make sure you have an address filled out otherwise you won't be able to do it
- Sync your apps on the FireTV Stick
- Install ES Explorer
- Run FTP Server, it will provide you with I.P address
- Download Kodi on your computer for android
- Transfer Kodi to your FireTV via FTP
- Install Kodi.apk via ES Explorer
Nov 12, 2016
21 posts
14 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Thanks. Will take a look. As well there is no blocking of installing Kodi on a firestick? From Canada?
I have a FIreTV and FireStick.
Using Kodi on both (in Canada).
No blocking what so ever.
I just find using adb via WiFi the easiest way to install apks.
Koodo | Fido | Public Mobile Customer
Dec 12, 2007
4 posts
trying to watch grand tour on it in Canada.......error message to call customer service......If I log into my account, the firestick shows up on the device profile.....what I am doing wrong?
thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
realg123 wrote: This the process I go through.

- Add ES Explorer from your American Amazon account to your account. Make sure you have an address filled out otherwise you won't be able to do it
- Sync your apps on the FireTV Stick
- Install ES Explorer
- Run FTP Server, it will provide you with I.P address
- Download Kodi on your computer for android
- Transfer Kodi to your FireTV via FTP
- Install Kodi.apk via ES Explorer
make it even simpler
first time users have to do these 3 steps anyways
1) create an amazon.com account. You can make it identical to the amazon.ca same address etc it works but do t from your computer or tablet first.
2)set up the amazon fire tv to your account and connect to net with either wifi or ethernet. This is the first thing everyone has to do.Best to set up at amazon.com site for now for firetv since it just started prime here.
3)As always with any android device before yo do anything go to settings/developer options/enable adb debugging and apps from unknown. Now you can run sidladed apps from non markets.

Installation of sideloaded apps
4) log into you amazon account and buy the free app downloader from the market send it to your firetv device.
5)If it doesn't show up goto settings and sync apps with account. Use the new downloader app from the available market. Put in the exact url for the app eg http://web address of app you want to download.apk

Just write down the direct link for what app you want to load

add the direct lnk url and it auto down loads and installs it to your firetv. Your done

I recommend instead of downloading spmc download firestarter.apk instead. That way you can easily install it and update it later in menu.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
yu130960 wrote: Anyone sign up from Prime Canada and see if it works on existing Fire TV?
It apparently does not work. Even the Roku won't work.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2270 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: make it even simpler
first time users have to do these 3 steps anyways
1) create an amazon.com account. You can make it identical to the amazon.ca same address etc it works but do t from your computer or tablet first.
2)set up the amazon fire tv to your account and connect to net with either wifi or ethernet. This is the first thing everyone has to do.Best to set up at amazon.com site for now for firetv since it just started prime here.
3)As always with any android device before yo do anything go to settings/developer options/enable adb debugging and apps from unknown. Now you can run sidladed apps from non markets.

Installation of sideloaded apps
4) log into you amazon account and buy the free app downloader from the market send it to your firetv device.
5)If it doesn't show up goto settings and sync apps with account. Use the new downloader app from the available market. Put in the exact url for the app eg http://web address of app you want to download.apk

Just write down the direct link for what app you want to load

add the direct lnk url and it auto down loads and installs it to your firetv. Your done

I recommend instead of downloading spmc download firestarter.apk instead. That way you can easily install it and update it later in menu.
Thanks Lead, Do you know if its possible to install play store on the fire tv?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
yeah you goto be rooted with xposed frame work for the market but I don't bother for the tv. The best tv based apps are already available for the device and swiped based apps are horrid to use on the tv with even a decent air mice anyway. Pick the tool for the job and use your tablet. Its faster and easier. That novelty grows old quick and being rooted honestly has made things more complcated for updating firmware. Kinda wish I didn't bother but did anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
I just set up my Fire tv box for first time, signed in with my amazon.ca account and I can't watch any videos? I assume its a region thing.
Feb 15, 2011
2 posts
I also can't watch Prime videos on my FireTV, hopefully they enable it soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
6225 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
just got a fire stick and nothign works not even the app store.. this is even with a US dns on it....
XBL: escapade
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
Darko wrote: just got a fire stick and nothign works not even the app store.. this is even with a US dns on it....
did you sign up and register it with an amazon.com account first. Not your .ca because there is no firetv devices in canada yet. Use your same email password is fine to have accou ts with both. On amazon.com when browsing apps your device is visible to the right side. On amazon.ca its not an option to see your firetv devices.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Where can you buy a Fire stick in Canada at a somewhat reasonable price?
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
^^^Thanks. If i chose to pay duty at time of delivery, any idea how much that would come out to? I feel like it would be cheaper than if I were to pay it up front. Plus paid in CAD vs USD.

Just remembered that I will be near a border town over the weekend. May just pop into a Best Buy in the US and pick one up instead. just need to make sure I get the 2nd gen one.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
I have the error, "server not available for search", if I try to search anything. I signed up with my Amazon.com account. I am connected to my network. Do I need a US address linked to that account? Can anyone give step by step directions how to get a second generation Fire tv to work in Canada. I've read so many blogs, opinions, etc. and not everyone is saying the same thing. It's getting confusing. I downloaded abdlink to my computer to transfer over Kodi, but could not connect. Others have said I can search Kodi from the Fire TV and download it directly. What's the best way? What's the easiest way?
Dec 10, 2006
218 posts
190 upvotes
bigsquid wrote: I have the error, "server not available for search", if I try to search anything. I signed up with my Amazon.com account. I am connected to my network. Do I need a US address linked to that account? Can anyone give step by step directions how to get a second generation Fire tv to work in Canada. I've read so many blogs, opinions, etc. and not everyone is saying the same thing. It's getting confusing. I downloaded abdlink to my computer to transfer over Kodi, but could not connect. Others have said I can search Kodi from the Fire TV and download it directly. What's the best way? What's the easiest way?
I don't know if it is the best way, but it was easy to get Kodi on the Fire TV Stick using instructions I pieced together from a few sites including helping posters here in RFD. Here are simple step-by-step instructions: http://troypoint.com/how-to-install-kodi-on-fire-tv/
I used method #5 from this link as method#1 did not work. But first I had to get ES Exlporer and there is no App Store available on the fire stick I guess since its in Canada. So I found another site with instructions on how to get ES Explorer which was simple - I had to go to amazon.com, log in, search for ES Exlporer and direct it to install directly on device (it only showed the Fire Stick since that is the only device I have registered). No problem. I have already added a bunch of Add-Ons via Kodi and I am very happy. I have an MXQ Android box that's about a year old that was purchased for about $50 a year ago. The Fire Stick is MUCH better. I don't have to wait while it boots up, the remote actually works properly, audio is reliable across inputs, I don't have to reboot all the time. Just a better user experience and considering that it was only $40 CDN on BF, I'm thrilled.

Now I wish there was a way to get Alexa to work properly in Canada and have Apps and Games and TV available. I've tried researching that and the DNS and VPN solutions seem easy enough but I haven't made that leap yet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)