Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond
Amazon set to stream new Jeremy Clarkson show in Canada
Company won't confirm whether 1st streaming show in Canada means Prime service coming too

Amazon's streaming video service is about to launch in Canada, if the former host of Top Gear is to be believed.
Jeremy Clarkson seemingly let the cat out of the bag in a tweet promoting his new show on Thursday, telling his followers that his new Amazon-produced show The Grand Tour will be available in Canada next month, because Amazon has "gone global."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/amazon- ... -1.3855721

I don't know whether it's a mistake or not (as we all know, Jeremy Clarkson is not the type to make ill-considered pronouncements :rolleyes: ), but if not then presumably Amazon would offer the Fire TV units in Canada too?
Dec 7, 2016
3 posts
I just bought one while in the UK... I'm I Canada and it works great. Use ultrasurf as a VPN Blocker. Tried a dozen channels and all work so far
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7987 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver
Question lol, it's been a long time since installing Kodi on a firestick. I found it tricky. I installed from my Mac.

Is there a simpler way to install it? Maybe from the firestick?

I got the new stick yesterday.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7156 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
trellaine201 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 4:38 pm
Question lol, it's been a long time since installing Kodi on a firestick. I found it tricky. I installed from my Mac.

Thanks
don't have a mac I used fire utility and side loaded firestarter pretty easy and you can install update that way in menu. Or this way should work too
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sideload ... ownloader/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7987 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. Will take a look. As well there is no blocking of installing Kodi on a firestick? From Canada?
Dec 7, 2016
3 posts
Yep I bought one in the UK and I'm using it now in Canada
Dec 7, 2016
3 posts
Download es file explorer and google how to add kodi via it... it's a simple 5 minute process...
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1070 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote:

Thanks
You could get Downloader from the Amazon.com store or es file manager. With downloader you just download to your Fire TV stick and then install. With ES FileManager you could use DropBox or a local smb or ftp server.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1395 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote:

Thanks
This the process I go through.

- Add ES Explorer from your American Amazon account to your account. Make sure you have an address filled out otherwise you won't be able to do it
- Sync your apps on the FireTV Stick
- Install ES Explorer
- Run FTP Server, it will provide you with I.P address
- Download Kodi on your computer for android
- Transfer Kodi to your FireTV via FTP
- Install Kodi.apk via ES Explorer
Nov 12, 2016
21 posts
14 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 5:59 pm
Thanks. Will take a look. As well there is no blocking of installing Kodi on a firestick? From Canada?
I have a FIreTV and FireStick.
Using Kodi on both (in Canada).
No blocking what so ever.
I just find using adb via WiFi the easiest way to install apks.
Koodo | Fido | Public Mobile Customer
Dec 12, 2007
4 posts
trying to watch grand tour on it in Canada.......error message to call customer service......If I log into my account, the firestick shows up on the device profile.....what I am doing wrong?
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7156 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
realg123 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 12:16 pm
This the process I go through.

- Add ES Explorer from your American Amazon account to your account. Make sure you have an address filled out otherwise you won't be able to do it
- Sync your apps on the FireTV Stick
- Install ES Explorer
- Run FTP Server, it will provide you with I.P address
- Download Kodi on your computer for android
- Transfer Kodi to your FireTV via FTP
- Install Kodi.apk via ES Explorer
make it even simpler
first time users have to do these 3 steps anyways
1) create an amazon.com account. You can make it identical to the amazon.ca same address etc it works but do t from your computer or tablet first.
2)set up the amazon fire tv to your account and connect to net with either wifi or ethernet. This is the first thing everyone has to do.Best to set up at amazon.com site for now for firetv since it just started prime here.
3)As always with any android device before yo do anything go to settings/developer options/enable adb debugging and apps from unknown. Now you can run sidladed apps from non markets.

Installation of sideloaded apps
4) log into you amazon account and buy the free app downloader from the market send it to your firetv device.
5)If it doesn't show up goto settings and sync apps with account. Use the new downloader app from the available market. Put in the exact url for the app eg http://web address of app you want to download.apk

Just write down the direct link for what app you want to load

add the direct lnk url and it auto down loads and installs it to your firetv. Your done

I recommend instead of downloading spmc download firestarter.apk instead. That way you can easily install it and update it later in menu.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1070 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
yu130960 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:18 am
Anyone sign up from Prime Canada and see if it works on existing Fire TV?
It apparently does not work. Even the Roku won't work.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1395 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 1:00 pm
make it even simpler
first time users have to do these 3 steps anyways
1) create an amazon.com account. You can make it identical to the amazon.ca same address etc it works but do t from your computer or tablet first.
2)set up the amazon fire tv to your account and connect to net with either wifi or ethernet. This is the first thing everyone has to do.Best to set up at amazon.com site for now for firetv since it just started prime here.
3)As always with any android device before yo do anything go to settings/developer options/enable adb debugging and apps from unknown. Now you can run sidladed apps from non markets.

Installation of sideloaded apps
4) log into you amazon account and buy the free app downloader from the market send it to your firetv device.
5)If it doesn't show up goto settings and sync apps with account. Use the new downloader app from the available market. Put in the exact url for the app eg http://web address of app you want to download.apk

Just write down the direct link for what app you want to load

add the direct lnk url and it auto down loads and installs it to your firetv. Your done

I recommend instead of downloading spmc download firestarter.apk instead. That way you can easily install it and update it later in menu.
Thanks Lead, Do you know if its possible to install play store on the fire tv?