Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7156 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
yeah you goto be rooted with xposed frame work for the market but I don't bother for the tv. The best tv based apps are already available for the device and swiped based apps are horrid to use on the tv with even a decent air mice anyway. Pick the tool for the job and use your tablet. Its faster and easier. That novelty grows old quick and being rooted honestly has made things more complcated for updating firmware. Kinda wish I didn't bother but did anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3881 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I just set up my Fire tv box for first time, signed in with my amazon.ca account and I can't watch any videos? I assume its a region thing.
Feb 15, 2011
2 posts
I also can't watch Prime videos on my FireTV, hopefully they enable it soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
5784 posts
586 upvotes
just got a fire stick and nothign works not even the app store.. this is even with a US dns on it....
Add me on PSN!

PSN: jayditto
XBL: escapade
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7156 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
Darko wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 6:59 pm
just got a fire stick and nothign works not even the app store.. this is even with a US dns on it....
did you sign up and register it with an amazon.com account first. Not your .ca because there is no firetv devices in canada yet. Use your same email password is fine to have accou ts with both. On amazon.com when browsing apps your device is visible to the right side. On amazon.ca its not an option to see your firetv devices.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1090 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
Where can you buy a Fire stick in Canada at a somewhat reasonable price?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1090 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
^^^Thanks. If i chose to pay duty at time of delivery, any idea how much that would come out to? I feel like it would be cheaper than if I were to pay it up front. Plus paid in CAD vs USD.

Just remembered that I will be near a border town over the weekend. May just pop into a Best Buy in the US and pick one up instead. just need to make sure I get the 2nd gen one.
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
I have the error, "server not available for search", if I try to search anything. I signed up with my Amazon.com account. I am connected to my network. Do I need a US address linked to that account? Can anyone give step by step directions how to get a second generation Fire tv to work in Canada. I've read so many blogs, opinions, etc. and not everyone is saying the same thing. It's getting confusing. I downloaded abdlink to my computer to transfer over Kodi, but could not connect. Others have said I can search Kodi from the Fire TV and download it directly. What's the best way? What's the easiest way?
Dec 10, 2006
158 posts
21 upvotes
bigsquid wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 1:06 am
I have the error, "server not available for search", if I try to search anything. I signed up with my Amazon.com account. I am connected to my network. Do I need a US address linked to that account? Can anyone give step by step directions how to get a second generation Fire tv to work in Canada. I've read so many blogs, opinions, etc. and not everyone is saying the same thing. It's getting confusing. I downloaded abdlink to my computer to transfer over Kodi, but could not connect. Others have said I can search Kodi from the Fire TV and download it directly. What's the best way? What's the easiest way?
I don't know if it is the best way, but it was easy to get Kodi on the Fire TV Stick using instructions I pieced together from a few sites including helping posters here in RFD. Here are simple step-by-step instructions: http://troypoint.com/how-to-install-kodi-on-fire-tv/
I used method #5 from this link as method#1 did not work. But first I had to get ES Exlporer and there is no App Store available on the fire stick I guess since its in Canada. So I found another site with instructions on how to get ES Explorer which was simple - I had to go to amazon.com, log in, search for ES Exlporer and direct it to install directly on device (it only showed the Fire Stick since that is the only device I have registered). No problem. I have already added a bunch of Add-Ons via Kodi and I am very happy. I have an MXQ Android box that's about a year old that was purchased for about $50 a year ago. The Fire Stick is MUCH better. I don't have to wait while it boots up, the remote actually works properly, audio is reliable across inputs, I don't have to reboot all the time. Just a better user experience and considering that it was only $40 CDN on BF, I'm thrilled.

Now I wish there was a way to get Alexa to work properly in Canada and have Apps and Games and TV available. I've tried researching that and the DNS and VPN solutions seem easy enough but I haven't made that leap yet.
Dec 10, 2006
158 posts
21 upvotes
squonk wrote:
Apr 16th, 2015 4:24 pm
Set my new Fire TV up today. Prior to Fire, I've been using randomly obtained DNS codes from the web on several devices (iPad, PC, ATV, PS3). What I discovered is I could not find codes that worked for both Netflix and Amazon Prime (ymmv). I started an unblock us free trial (configured the DNS in the router) and, bingo, both work on my Fire TV. I won't mind paying the $5 a month. Also have Kodi running smoothly. Using the Amazon Fire TV remote app on my iPhone 6 and 5s. All is good.
Can you let me know how you were able to get the Amazon Fire TV Remote app on your iphone in Canada? It won't let me because it says I have to change store to US and then it won't allow me to download it from the U.S. IOS app store.
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
I eventually obtained ES Explorer from the Amazon App Store. Other discussions were showing it done through the "search"....which will not work in Canada. In regards to VPN, the best solution I have found is to run a second VPN router. Keep your other devices at optimum speed and get "local" internet, and use the VPN router for your out of country tv and/or torrent downloading. Personally I have put my Amazon Fire on Kijiji. Although the "free" tv is a great thing......I live in a rural area with bad internet speeds and ALL shows/movies etc. We're sub par video and audio quality.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5136 posts
9007 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
noelliam wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 1:39 pm
Can you let me know how you were able to get the Amazon Fire TV Remote app on your iphone in Canada? It won't let me because it says I have to change store to US and then it won't allow me to download it from the U.S. IOS app store.
Get a US Itunes account without CC - follow these steps - http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how ... edit-card/ and then download the app with that account
Jul 30, 2013
181 posts
28 upvotes
Ajax
anyone know if the newer amazon stick is compatible with the usa dns? i need hulu
Mar 23, 2009
1 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Will be getting the Amazon FIre TV to use in Canada as well, does it let you connect up to your Amazon Cloud Canadian account or only US amazon prime/cloud accounts? Thanks for your help!