Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 2:15 pm
Tags:
Apr 3, 2006
228 posts
93 upvotes
Delta
lexar123 wrote: Awesome, that worked!!! great find.

Any idea how I can set the Amazon Video app as part of my apps without having to go through appstarter every time?
Great! Glad it worked. Unfortunately I don't know how to add it to the apps. I'm using AppStarter and it's working fine for now.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
YouTube is leaving the Fire TV.
YouTube will be pulled from the Echo Show today. Customers who own an Fire TV will start seeing a notification today warning them that the service will be unavailable as of January 1st, 2018.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Apr 26, 2006
235 posts
210 upvotes
Has anyone gone through the same steps as fmack on their ftv box (not stick) and get it to work?

I keep getting error 9353 after the prime video splash screen. I've also tried changing the us/Canada setting, deregister/re-register to no avail.... I haven't tried factory reset though and was hoping to avoid that....
Mar 25, 2008
38 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
I just got my firestick from canada. I have an account with both .com and .ca. I want to download some apps from .com but can’t it wont let me. If i switch country to usa in setting and would it let me switch back to Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1705 posts
1031 upvotes
MB
sjb2003 wrote: I just got my firestick from canada. I have an account with both .com and .ca. I want to download some apps from .com but can’t it wont let me. If i switch country to usa in setting and would it let me switch back to Canada.
Try it and find out if you can't switch back just do a factory reset. As for the apps just sideload them or install aptoide and install from there..

Your text to link here...
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1110 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
fmark wrote: Ok... Last couple of days I was playing with my US FTV2 stick switching accounts between Canada and USA, reset to factory defaults, deregistered and registered. In the end I set country to the USA (for Alexa).
Today I installed app called AppStarter. Enabled "Show System apps" in the settings and there appeared Amazon Prime Video app(do not confuse with Video app). When I launched it - I got Canadian Prime videos working! For some reason the app does not appear on the main FireTV launcher screen, so you need some other launcher to start the app. I kinda like the AppStarter. :)

This is good enough solution for me at this point as I still have Alexa feature working and I can watch Canadian Prime videos through the app.
Just in case, I've extracted the PrimeVideo.apk file if someone wants to give it a try.
do you have to set country to US in order to get appstarter? I can't find it in the app store on my Amazon Fire TV (not the stick). THanks.

EDIT

so using the app App2Fire from the playstore, i sideloaded Appstarter and also installed the prime video apk you kindly uploaded. however I don't see it under apps in AppStarter :S wonder if it makes a difference that i am trying this method with firetv not firetv stick..

EDIT

so i used ESfile explorer, went into the download folder and installed the prime.apk from there. now i can see the amazon prime video app in appstarter., but getting error code 9353 : (
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1110 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
cptsquirt wrote: First I installed the appstarter, followed your steps, and no sign of the Amazon Prime Video app. There were 2 different apps called Amazon video, which did nothing when I clicked on them. So, I installed your APK, an lo and behold, it updated one of those Amazon video apps, and loads a different style launcher that plays the Canadian prime. Decent work around for now. Thanks!
are you using the stick or the FTV box?
Apr 3, 2006
228 posts
93 upvotes
Delta
kit25 wrote: do you have to set country to US in order to get appstarter? I can't find it in the app store on my Amazon Fire TV (not the stick). THanks.

EDIT

so using the app App2Fire from the playstore, i sideloaded Appstarter and also installed the prime video apk you kindly uploaded. however I don't see it under apps in AppStarter :S wonder if it makes a difference that i am trying this method with firetv not firetv stick..

EDIT

so i used ESfile explorer, went into the download folder and installed the prime.apk from there. now i can see the amazon prime video app in appstarter., but getting error code 9353 : (
Sorry, I don't know whether the .apk extracted from a FTV Stick would work on a regular Fire TV.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
It doesn't work.
fmark wrote: Sorry, I don't know whether the .apk extracted from a FTV Stick would work on a regular Fire TV.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
I was thinking about getting the fire stick when I’m in the US but from reading this it appears that sometimes it works and sometimes not right? Probably easier to get the Canadian version even though no alexa remote
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
fmark wrote: Ok... Last couple of days I was playing with my US FTV2 stick switching accounts between Canada and USA, reset to factory defaults, deregistered and registered. In the end I set country to the USA (for Alexa).
Today I installed app called AppStarter. Enabled "Show System apps" in the settings and there appeared Amazon Prime Video app(do not confuse with Video app). When I launched it - I got Canadian Prime videos working! For some reason the app does not appear on the main FireTV launcher screen, so you need some other launcher to start the app. I kinda like the AppStarter. :)

This is good enough solution for me at this point as I still have Alexa feature working and I can watch Canadian Prime videos through the app.
Just in case, I've extracted the PrimeVideo.apk file if someone wants to give it a try.
Is this still working for you ? Seems like there was an update on the 14th and since then it doesn't work for me. If it is, can you maybe extract the latest APK if it has changed.
Apr 3, 2006
228 posts
93 upvotes
Delta
warhawk wrote: Is this still working for you ? Seems like there was an update on the 14th and since then it doesn't work for me. If it is, can you maybe extract the latest APK if it has changed.
Nope, stopped working for me as well.
I'll share new .apk if I find one.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
KristieM423628 wrote: I think that is most likely part if your problem, but not all. I have two separate emails and logins and I can get farther than you (see above comment), but it still won't play the videos. Alexa and music do work however.
How are you able to have two separate emails and logins ? Many years ago I used the same e-mail for both, and now when I change it on one of the sites it automatically changes it on the other one too :(
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
fmark wrote: Nope, stopped working for me as well.
I'll share new .apk if I find one.
Oddly it started working for me again. I had reset the fire stick and when i clicked Amazon Prime Video all i would get is a quick black splash screen, but last night it was all working again.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2003
1068 posts
215 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know why, but both of my US fire stick TVs are working with Prime now. Hadn't used the second one for a few days, and when we turned it on on Saturday, the Prime Video app showed up. Maybe there's some bouncing back and forth between my .com and .ca accounts as I have the same email for both. I did notice that the fire sticks show up in my devices on both accounts. Anyways, I'm happy to have Netflix, Kodi and Prime Video working. Now for Alexa to work
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Good news for Youtube users, Amazon just released Firefox and Silk sp?? browers go directly to Youtube. The browser app looks exactly the old native app which is no longer working this morning.
Apr 27, 2011
528 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto

Possible to check if it has updated version. I tried to side load the apk file you posted but my firetv stick doesn't allow me. Wondering if I already have newer version installed which prevent me to update it back.
Dec 18, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
I bought a Fire Stick from Amazon.com and had it shipped to CBI in the States where I picked it up. It worked great for Kodi and terrarium but no Amazon Prime videos. Then they started offering prime videos and with the help of tech support I got past error 5505 and got the videos. So I gave that one to a friend and went back to Niagara Falls and this time bought one at Target. Same Gen 2 but no Prime even with tech support help. Also bought a Fire TV and again no Prime for that one. So I think that the Gen 2 stick with Alexa from the states will sometimes work for Prime and sometimes not
Dec 18, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Hey fmark,

Great info but if I download he PrimeVideo.apk on my laptop, how do I get it onto my Fire TV? Or can I download directly onto the Fire TV somehow? FYI I found I can use the Wii game console to get Prime Videos but I'd prefer the Fire TV

Thanks,
Tom
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6564 posts
10853 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC

Thanks - this worked for me! I also bought a US FTV2 stick....from Target USA...
Last edited by pathfinder35 on Jan 6th, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.