Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1117 posts
275 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pathfinder35 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:53 pm
You can only cast an iphone to a apple airplay device such as Apple tv, not android device which fire tv is...
I can cast to a Chromecast with an iPhone and iPad without any issues.
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
Your prime account will not work. You can side load kodi and that will work though. Hopefully one day the CRTC and other Canadian regulators and Amazon will open up the Canadian market one day. Then these boxes will work for subscribed users. And hopefully Alexa and devices like the Fire Tv and Echo will be usable at there full potential in Canada
Sep 28, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Hey all I'm new on RFD Forum. I know this thread old and probably not used much but I just spoke with a customer service representative with amazon. He\She said that there is a New Fire Tv posted (im guessing in there internal system) for amazon.ca but there unsure when the release date will be. So looks like Amazon Fire TV breaking into the Canadian market soon YYYAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
Dec 12, 2006
132 posts
190 upvotes
There is a casting app on the firestick now. Just hit cast on the Android Prime Video app on your phone and and it should work. I have a U.S. Amazon account too so I'm wondering if I get the U.S. Prime account instead of a Canadian one I can actually watch U.S. content on the Firestick I bought in Florida.
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
Casting seem to only work to an Apple TV. I don't get a chromecast button and it does not work with FireTV.
Need to be miraclecast enabled..
May 11, 2013
63 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
i found it not worth it, unless you have a vpn. Otherwise i couldnt get prime video to work, spotify app was horribly outdated. Only netflix worked.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1168 posts
220 upvotes
I need something that will do Netflix that takes an ethernet connection, for my tenant. Any suggestions?
Oct 22, 2017
1 posts
Hi hoping to get help. I have 2nd generation amazon firestick that I bought through Amazon and shipped to USA when I was visiting a friend who lives there. I used my amazon.com account with my friend's home address to have it shipped. Loaded downloader app to get Kodi and addon to watch tv series. It worked fine in USA. brought it back to Canada and it works but I have found downloader app doesn't work now and certain tv series won't show up. Suggestions? thanks
Nov 28, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
I just purchased a firestick in the USA while visiting family on Black Friday and am pretty bummed it won't let me log onto my Canadian prime account in Canada. It seems the USA device is somehow locked to USA Amazon accounts. Does anyone know if I can get around this someway? I hear lots of tips about using a .com account in Canada on these sticks, but I am already a prime member in Canada and would like to use the device for Amazon video and music.
Nov 28, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
In case this was frustrating anyone else who wants to set up their USA Alexa firestick up with your Canadian prime Amazon account, I finally got it to work! First I had to register the device with my USA amazon.com account, and then it asked me if I wanted to use it with a different Amazon account. When I said yes I was able to log into my amazon.ca account and get it to work. The trick is to first register on a .com account and THEN add the .ca account afterwards.
Apr 3, 2006
129 posts
28 upvotes
Delta
Hi! I need some help please. I've got US FireTV Stick (with Alexa remote) and I have both US and Canadian Prime accounts(both student). I'm using a single email address for both accounts.
I'd like to watch Canadian Prime videos on the stick without switching my country to Canada(in Content and Devices). The reason I set country to USA is because of the Alexa feature.

I'm not sure whether it will work or not, but I thought to replace/sideload Canadian version of 'Prime Video' app and hopefully it will work.
Could someone with Canadian FireTV Stick please extract and share their PrimeVideos.apk file?
Thanks!
Aug 8, 2008
262 posts
61 upvotes
KristieM423628 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:19 pm
In case this was frustrating anyone else who wants to set up their USA Alexa firestick up with your Canadian prime Amazon account, I finally got it to work! First I had to register the device with my USA amazon.com account, and then it asked me if I wanted to use it with a different Amazon account. When I said yes I was able to log into my amazon.ca account and get it to work. The trick is to first register on a .com account and THEN add the .ca account afterwards.
Can you explain in detail?

I have both US and Canadian account but prime is only Canada. On both amazon.com and amazon.ca my device account is set to Canada.
How would I "register" the device to .com vs .ca? From the device you click register with your username and there is no option to which domain.
Apr 1, 2006
102 posts
3 upvotes
KristieM423628 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:19 pm
I've switched my US firestick to my Canadian Amazon account, but now I've lost Alexa, and it won't connect to my prime video or music.. Possibly because my US and Canadian accounts use the same login email.
Nov 28, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
This is in reply to lexar above:
When the firestick first turns on, it asks for you to login to your Amazon account. I repeatedly tried to log into my amazon.ca account and it never let me. In frustration I finally just logged into my amazon.com account, which doesn't have prime, just so I could see how the firestick worked. After I used my amazon.com login, it popped up saying congratulations for registering your firestick. Then it asked if I wanted to use it with a different Amazon account. I said yes and then logged in using my amazon.ca email and password. It recognizes I am a prime member, but only shows me amazon.com prime previews, and when I click anything to play it, it says I am in the wrong region. So videos are not working yet. However, when I play music, it works. I still am trying to figure out how to get it to load amazon.ca prime previews instead of amazon.com previews.
Last edited by KristieM423628 on Dec 2nd, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
cptsquirt wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:44 am
I've switched my US firestick to my Canadian Amazon account, but now I've lost Alexa, and it won't connect to my prime video or music.. Possibly because my US and Canadian accounts use the same login email.
I think that is most likely part if your problem, but not all. I have two separate emails and logins and I can get farther than you (see above comment), but it still won't play the videos. Alexa and music do work however.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)