Computers & Electronics

anyone know why my monitor keeps switching to 4:3 ratio and non-wide screen ratio?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2010 2:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO

anyone know why my monitor keeps switching to 4:3 ratio and non-wide screen ratio?

lately... MY monitor has been doing something weird.
It keeps switching from wide to non-wide ratio. Then it stays non-wide and everything looks.... squished.

Anyone know why it does this or how to fix it? I couldn't find anything on google... I could only find answers to people trying to fix monitors that turn off by themselves!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: lately... MY monitor has been doing something weird.
It keeps switching from wide to non-wide ratio. Then it stays non-wide and everything looks.... squished.

Anyone know why it does this or how to fix it? I couldn't find anything on google... I could only find answers to people trying to fix monitors that turn off by themselves!

Going to need a little bit more info.

What monitor are you using? What video card are you using? How is it hooked up to the computer? Are you using VGA or DVI?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
kennyhohoho wrote: Going to need a little bit more info.

What monitor are you using? What video card are you using? How is it hooked up to the computer? Are you using VGA or DVI?

It is a old old video card... ATI radeon 9000 or something like that... the 128mb one if that helps.

Hooked up with a VGA plug. It just keeps switching back and forth... sometimes it stays @ wide.. sometimes it stays non-wide.

I'm using Windows XP.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2006
1472 posts
71 upvotes
Markham/GTA
UrbanPoet wrote: It is a old old video card... ATI radeon 9000 or something like that... the 128mb one if that helps.

Hooked up with a VGA plug. It just keeps switching back and forth... sometimes it stays @ wide.. sometimes it stays non-wide.

I'm using Windows XP.

Try swapping with a different VGA cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: It is a old old video card... ATI radeon 9000 or something like that... the 128mb one if that helps.

I'm using Windows XP.

Does it switch from wide to non-wide randomly, or only when you launch applications, like games, etc.?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: It switches randomly without any changes in applications.

It sounds like an unstable connection, like the video card is losing it's connection to the monitor and resetting the resolution when the connection is found again, and that's why it's reverting back to 4:3, which could be the default setting.

I would try a different VGA cable and see if that helps. If not, it could be the actual VGA connector on either the monitor or the video card being wonky.

Have you tried using that monitor on a different computer, or that computer with a different monitor?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)