Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone live in Barrie?

Looking at purchasing a house there (more bang for the buck etc) I would be moving from scarborough so I'm sure it will be a huge change, but other than it being in the snow belt I've seen really positive reviews about it...anyone who lives there care to confirm for me? Also how bad will my commute be as I work in Thornhill.
Idle hands are the devils playthings
3 replies
Banned
Nov 10, 2013
82 posts
25 upvotes
If you are planning to move in Barrie and your work place is in Thornhill, please note that you have to drive an hour on daily basis (one side) if you will take a route which comes from 407 and 407 is usually slow.
Like the rest of southern Ontario, Barrie has a humid continental climate, with warm, humid summers and cold winters.
In late spring and summer months, the Barrie area is known for heavy thunderstorm activity, due to its location within a convergence of breezes originating from Georgian Bay, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie.
In the winter months, the proximity to the Great Lakes moderates winter temperatures but also results in significant snowfall in the general area. Barrie is on the southern edge of Ontario's Snowbelt region, where lake-effect snow, primarily from Georgian Bay, falls throughout the winter. An average of 238 centimetres (95 inches) of snow falls annually, with at least 50% due to the lake effect. Since the snowfall gradient is tight, snowfall totals tend to be significantly higher just north of the city as compared with the south end.

HeavenLeigh wrote: Looking at purchasing a house there (more bang for the buck etc) I would be moving from scarborough so I'm sure it will be a huge change, but other than it being in the snow belt I've seen really positive reviews about it...anyone who lives there care to confirm for me? Also how bad will my commute be as I work in Thornhill.
Jun 27, 2005
398 posts
30 upvotes
Barrie
I'm a real estate broker here in Barrie. We moved up 15 years ago and really like it here. Lots of snow though....lots lol...Jobs are scarce here and pay not a lot...I commuted to Toronto for 3 years and the commute is long, at least an hour to the airport. Have really enjoyed our years here though..... Houses are quite abit cheaper here and do not appreciate as much as the gta. We had a good year in 2013 as house prices rose 7% versus 3% in previous years....pm me if I can help further
Aug 31, 2008
721 posts
1203 upvotes
North of T.O.
I and family have lived in Barrie since 1988. I am very happy, here. Yes, snow, of course, living around Georgian Bay. Commute would be the thing to consider, I am fortunate that my commute is just 30-35 minutes south west of Barrie.

Very busy here in Barrie as most traffic goes up and down our main street, Bayfield Street. You will have most of what you need here. We could still use some decent ethnic restaurants here, but I am guessing not enough of a demand beyond, Canadian Chinese, LOL.

Come, enjoy what Barrie has to offer. Friendly place, safe place, good shopping, nice downtown. A City Council that cares headed by a great Mayor, Jeff Lehman. South of Barrie is busy, busy, busy, not very good planning on City's part.

If I was to move again, I would look for a place just on the outskirts of Barrie, and come into Barrie for my needs.

realestateguy wrote: I'm a real estate broker here in Barrie. We moved up 15 years ago and really like it here. Lots of snow though....lots lol...Jobs are scarce here and pay not a lot...I commuted to Toronto for 3 years and the commute is long, at least an hour to the airport. Have really enjoyed our years here though..... Houses are quite abit cheaper here and do not appreciate as much as the gta. We had a good year in 2013 as house prices rose 7% versus 3% in previous years....pm me if I can help further

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)