Beauty & Wellness

anyone in medical field here know if there is any difference between brand name vs generic drug

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2017 4:50 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes

anyone in medical field here know if there is any difference between brand name vs generic drug

pls when you post also say how you know what you know and if your in the field.

i have asked lots of doctors this and they always say yes, and some say no. wtf?
15 replies
Nov 28, 2013
974 posts
276 upvotes
London, ON
here is an article about it in the USA

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesfory ... 167991.htm

probably applies here as well.

Though i have heard and read that sometimes generics don't have the full active ingredient or like 80% etc.
on the canadian side of things
https://www.cadth.ca/generic-drugs/simi ... eric-drugs

I've heard stories mostly with people taking anti depressants that generics did not work as well as the brand name, and people felt different etc., and were not getting the same feeling.
Many reports on that online as well.

In reality they are supposed to be a clone "active" ingredient but.. there is always a but..
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3213 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
The filler material is often different, and there are people who have a different reaction based on that. This is why your doctor, who examines you, and learns your medical history, should be the one to determine if you get a generic vs. a brand name. Not some guy at your insurance company who couldn't pick you out of a lineup.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2495 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga
Generics are supposed to be bioequivalent to the name brand. And generics manufacturers need to include such data when they file their submissions to get approval to sell their drug.

But, the excipients are almost always not the same. So while the levels of active pharmaceutical ingredient are the same between the name brand and generic product, there may be very subtle differences once administered to a person.

I've personally never had any issues when taking a generic but that may not apply to everyone.
Jul 5, 2004
22204 posts
2099 upvotes
Topher wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:46 am
The filler material is often different, and there are people who have a different reaction based on that. This is why your doctor, who examines you, and learns your medical history, should be the one to determine if you get a generic vs. a brand name. Not some guy at your insurance company who couldn't pick you out of a lineup.
Your doctor doesn't determine it, you do. When you fill the prescription, the pharmacist is supposed to provide you with the cheapest option, which is the generic one, but you have the right to ask for the brand name. You'll pay more, but you can get the brand name if you want it.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Generally, the generic meds have more (or different) non-medicinal ingredients - many of which some people are allergic to (I am one of them). Also, I agree that the active med while it is supposed to be the same in both the name brand and generic version of a particular drug it always isn't - with the generic drug being weaker.

Unfortunately, many former brand name drugs are now being produced as generics only. Not all meds fall into this category but it is becoming increasingly common.

If you have a medical plan you should check to determine if the plan covers name brand as well as generics - if both are offered.

Some plans will only cover the cost of generic drugs - despite a note from the doctor. In such a case the patient will pay the difference.

The ODB will only cover generic drugs - patients pay the difference.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1822 posts
220 upvotes
In another world
I usually go for generic brands for over the counter medication.
For prescription meds, I really don't know what the pharmacists provide. They usually have these larger bottles and take out the precise number of pills according to the prescription.
Oct 6, 2015
790 posts
398 upvotes
I know a pharmacist who has filled over a million prescriptions in his lifetime. Other than a few well known exceptions with thyroid pills and I believe certain epilepsy medications, he has not encountered a single legitimate instance where a patient has experienced any differences in their treatment using generic versus brand-name medications attributable to the medication itself. Fillers, sure, there were a few rare cases of sensitivity. But the typical patient who claimed problems was either a drug dealer (brand-name narcotic medications have dramatically higher 'street' value than generics), or a hypochondriac prone to watching too much "Dr. Oz" or reading similar materials.

In fact, here's a dirty little secret -- they're often made on the same production lines at the same manufacturers these days. Sometimes they don't even bother to hide this fact -- ie: a recent prescription of mine was "Sandoz (generic) Fluormetholone", but actually had "Alcon" (brand-name) physically stamped into the plastic bottle.
with the generic drug being weaker.
There is no evidence whatsoever in the literature of this being the case. And believe me, every brand-name drug manufacturer would be "all over" such a study if that actually were the case, in their promotional materials. If anything the generic industry probably has higher quality standards than the brand-name manufacturers because they know the (lobbyist-influenced) regulators would shut them down immediately if they deviated from the licensing or scientific data for their generic medication products.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes
thank you to the answers. can someone tell me the safe online pharmacies to buy from ?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
OP - do not believe everything you read on the Internet. There is one response to your query that I know for a fact is incorrect.

Re on-line pharmacies - I do not know any - I will only buy from a brick and mortar store.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1402 posts
398 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I've run into maybe 1 case in over 1000s. That one person that needed the brand name had a doctors note stating the generic was causing an allergic reaction. Most of the time it is a placebo effect.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
115 posts
12 upvotes
DDHLeigh wrote:
May 20th, 2017 2:51 pm
I've run into maybe 1 case in over 1000s. That one person that needed the brand name had a doctors note stating the generic was causing an allergic reaction. Most of the time it is a placebo effect.
do u guys know any online pharmacies please ?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1402 posts
398 upvotes
VANCOUVER
anvil01 wrote:
May 21st, 2017 3:44 pm
do u guys know any online pharmacies please ?
Sorry I do not. You should be careful about ordering online. Go check out some articles. I do not know what you want to buy, but be aware that some things are not approved for sale in Canada. For example DHEA. If you are concerned about dispense fees and markups by the local pharmacies, I would suggest grabbing your meds from Costco.
Jan 12, 2017
208 posts
235 upvotes
ON
anvil01 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:36 pm
thank you to the answers. can someone tell me the safe online pharmacies to buy from ?
You can buy from Costco, where prices are usually cheaper.
You don't have to be a member to use Costco's pharmacy.
make sure there is No Wynne in Ontario by June 2018
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10004 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Depends on your drug plan as mentioned. Generally speaking if your plan doesnt say which brands it's the generic because it's cheaper for the insurer and if ODB, the guvment pays less to the pharmacist in reimbursement = guvment saves money. Brand names are supposedly better but you pay the difference and has to be noted on docs scripts as "no substitutes". If not the default is the pharma will dispense the generic. Some drugs have no generics (newer drugs) becuz they have patents on them. So insurance plans and ODB must cover those. Once the patents run out they become generic as any pharma manufacturer can make them. The insurers and ODB will change conditions likewise to insuring only the generic.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING