None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes

Anyone need Plumbing help or advice

post here or PM me :)
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
1955 replies
Mar 3, 2005
244 posts
OK - I'll start. How do I install my dishwasher? the electrical is roughed in, i need to drill a hole from the kitchen floor down to the basement. i need help with the drainage/water intake part.... is there a step-by-step resource?

:)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
atm2000 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2007 9:42 pm
OK - I'll start. How do I install my dishwasher? the electrical is roughed in, i need to drill a hole from the kitchen floor down to the basement. i need help with the drainage/water intake part.... is there a step-by-step resource?

:)
i would explain everything myself but this link shows you pics
pm me if you need any explanation
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/kitc ... l/new1.htm
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2279 posts
16 upvotes
My shower drain is clogged.... its a 4 year old house. I hired someone ($80) to unclog it last year. I tried to use a snake but it did not work too well for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
In a pex homerun installation with a 1/2" copper manifold and valves that go to each fixture, would I notice a difference in going from the "regular valves" to "ball valves" or would the flow / pressure difference be negligible?

(not planning on doing it now but I might eventually do it if it's much better)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
Azxster wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2007 12:50 am
My shower drain is clogged.... its a 4 year old house. I hired someone ($80) to unclog it last year. I tried to use a snake but it did not work too well for me.
im guessing by only being charged 80$, this wasnt a licensed plumber you hired..sounds like a jack of all trades, master of none kinda guy...no wonder its still clogged

PM me, what he tried to fix the clog, and also what you tried, and what kind of snake you or he used
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14369 posts
1309 upvotes
Oshawa
Azxster wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2007 12:50 am
You may have a great wad of hair and soap stuck in the trap. Can you see anything in there with a flashlight? Have you tried liquid plumber?
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
May 23, 2004
676 posts
17 upvotes
Ok...here's one...

Older house; brand new acrylic bathtub. The tub is on top of a new subfloor, but there's a tiny bit of flex when you stand in the tub near the drain because of the original floor underneath.

When we installed the drain, we used the rubber washer from the kit to seal where the drain meets the outside of the tub. Only recently did I find out that we should have used plumber's putty because of the rough acrylic surface...

Anyway, the drain leaked if the tub was full (stopper in) and someone stood in it (no leak when showering though).

I unscrewed the drain from above and put silicone around the bottom seal as best I could. It seems to have stopped the leaking for now, but how long will this solution last?

I know the 'proper' fix is to rip out the drain from underneath, strengthen the floor, then reassemble the drain, but will my MacGyver solution work?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
NeilMcduck wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 5:46 pm
Ok...here's one...

Older house; brand new acrylic bathtub. The tub is on top of a new subfloor, but there's a tiny bit of flex when you stand in the tub near the drain because of the original floor underneath.

When we installed the drain, we used the rubber washer from the kit to seal where the drain meets the outside of the tub. Only recently did I find out that we should have used plumber's putty because of the rough acrylic surface...

Anyway, the drain leaked if the tub was full (stopper in) and someone stood in it (no leak when showering though).

I unscrewed the drain from above and put silicone around the bottom seal as best I could. It seems to have stopped the leaking for now, but how long will this solution last?

I know the 'proper' fix is to rip out the drain from underneath, strengthen the floor, then reassemble the drain, but will my MacGyver solution work?

Thanks!
yes you are correct...all that you mentioned should have been done

as for your fix..you should have silliconed the rubber gasket, when you originally installed it, but your solution should be ok...but be prepared to have to replace the silicone quite often

also consider all the water in the tub is quite a bit of weight and might cause the tub to move slightly.(which is why it only leaks when it is full). So, with the tub full of water try tightening the drain basket some more, this should solve the leak
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 4:36 pm
are not all pex shutoff valves "ball" valves ?
No! Well not on my manifold!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3369 posts
140 upvotes
when flushing our upstairs bathroom and I'm standing in our downstairs bathroom it sounds like the walls are going to explode. Very loud noise of the rush of water through the pipe. Sound is different than the banging water pipes.
Join my free Dynasty Fantasy Baseball League (2017 season, draft starts this Fall). PM me for details
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Oct 27th, 2007 10:22 am
when flushing our upstairs bathroom and I'm standing in our downstairs bathroom it sounds like the walls are going to explode. Very loud noise of the rush of water through the pipe. Sound is different than the banging water pipes.
did you recently replace your fill valve??...if not do so
Perhaps the shutoff for the toilet is not open enough.

The noise is probably coming from the valve that turns on when you flush the commode it is called a (Ballcock). To test this take the lid off of the commode tank and flush it, if the noise starts lift the float of the valve and see if the noise stops or changes. Your valve could have many different types of floats. Older toilets have a ball on the end of a brass rod, newer toilets have a flaoting cup attached with a short rod and wire. But what ever the make up of your valve lift the float to make the water stop entering the tank. If the noise stops there is a great possibility that the valve is the problem. Another possibility is the turn off that is behind the commode. If when you lifted the float rod and it didn't change the noise then turn the handle of the cut-off that comes out of the wall. Turn it complately off if you have to but just see if this some how changes the noise. If it does that means that the rubber washer in the valve may be loose and is setting up a vibration as the water rushes. You can change the valve or you can put a new rubber washer on the end of the stem.....Good luck
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
I live in a 4 year old house and a few months ago the toilet started running all the time. I fiddled around inside the tank and everything seemed ok but when I pressed down on the rubber flapper the running stopped. I replaced the flapper with a more heavy duty one, the original one had gone all wavy along the outer edge and was no longer providing a good seal. The new flapper works a lot better but the toilet is still running a little inbetween flushes. Any suggestions?
Jul 26, 2007
72 posts
Toronto
know what, the same thing happened to me: i had a leaky toilet between flushes, and i realized it was the the seal on the flapper at the bottom of the tank. put in a new flapper (one with a cup-timer and rigid) and it worked like a charm - except apparently the problem seemed to come back! couldn't figure it out - until i realized the new chain was too long and sometimes catching under the flapper. check it out - the problem just might be simpler than you think!
× < >