None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
BoatyMcBoatface wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:32 pm
Thanks to miscommunication and a general failure of common sense, I need to move the soil stack (A) away from the wall another 4"

Plumbing.jpg

I don't want to cut back any further than necessary, so is there any code that says I can't put an elbow (Probably a 22.5) on section B which will shift the bottom out to where it needs to be. My concern is anything relating to the number of elbows before it hits the main down stack?
Pipe A looks like a vertical leg for a wet vented toilet, not a soil stack. If so your maximum accumulated change of direction on the horizontal pipe b is 225 degrees.

If it is a soil stack there is no limit so long as it’s sloped properly and no horizontal 90s are used
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1611 posts
446 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm thinking of having a plumber install a circulation loop with timer for my hot water tank. Are they still popular in our region?

The faucet closest to my water heater is my kitchen which is about 7ft away. The next faucet is about 50ft away using the path of my hot water line so in a loop it will be 100ft. This is all in my basement run.
The hot water line is currently 1/2", will I benefit upgrading to 3/4"? The city water comes in with 3/4" copper.
Sep 20, 2015
179 posts
35 upvotes
The cows are everywh…
We bought our home a couple of years ago but have never used our dishwasher(Bosch Ascenta). We decided we are going to give it a try, and in hindsight I wish I tested it much much earlier however I grew up in a house hold which only hand washed.

Do you have any tips on what I should do before running it? Should I make sure certain parts are connected correctly?
Last thing I want is my kitchen getting flooded!
signature removed for being inappropriate
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2333 posts
250 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 8:18 pm
Double up the gasket, don’t bother with a flange extension
Just an update: doubled up on the wax, and the leak seems to have stopped. There is a lot of wax under that toilet right now.

Thanks for the help.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2175 posts
182 upvotes
Anyone know if there are new laws put in place in Ontario regarding water pressure in new homes? Can't shower and use the tap without the pressure and temp changing. Pressure I can understand but the temperature change is extremely bothersome.

My last home someone could be in the shower and another person could open the tap, you'd notice a small decrease in pressure in the shower but the temperature would stay the same. I'm being told that this is the new normal according to new laws put in place in Ontario 2 years ago.

It seems odd Ontario would lower the water pressure of new home that actually causes discomfort, all the fixtures have the water saver adapters so why do they need to decrease the pressure from the city?

Secondly anyway to reduce the water noise of a drain? With the water running it's extremely loud almost like the water is echoing in the drain as it falls. Reducing the flow helps but that's not going to work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:30 pm
Anyone know if there are new laws put in place in Ontario regarding water pressure in new homes? Can't shower and use the tap without the pressure and temp changing. Pressure I can understand but the temperature change is extremely bothersome.

My last home someone could be in the shower and another person could open the tap, you'd notice a small decrease in pressure in the shower but the temperature would stay the same. I'm being told that this is the new normal according to new laws put in place in Ontario 2 years ago.

It seems odd Ontario would lower the water pressure of new home that actually causes discomfort, all the fixtures have the water saver adapters so why do they need to decrease the pressure from the city?

Secondly anyway to reduce the water noise of a drain? With the water running it's extremely loud almost like the water is echoing in the drain as it falls.
There is no such law, sounds like an issue with the cartridge

Household pressure is set by the city, typically between 40-60 psi
What you may be experiencing is lack of volume. Chances are you only have 1/2” supplies
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2175 posts
182 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:51 pm
There is no such law, sounds like an issue with the cartridge

Household pressure is set by the city, typically between 40-60 psi
What you may be experiencing is lack of volume. Chances are you only have 1/2” supplies
Good to know, I looked at the main water line in the basement and it shows a value between 0.003 and 0.004 would that be the psi value or should I be looking at the meter outside?

I was pretty sure there was no new law and had a feeling i was being lied to.
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Hi, I see occasional minor sewer backup around basement floor drain.
I thought it was after heavy rains, but I am not 100% sure.
It's 10 yo home on a hill. I opened 2 clean outs located in the cold room under the porch and I see nothing unusual.
I wish I knew how the pipes are connected, including the weeping tile (French drain) connection to the storm sewer.
Is it possible that it's rain water..? Or is it more likely coming from the sanitary system..?
I have washing machine in the basement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:06 am
Good to know, I looked at the main water line in the basement and it shows a value between 0.003 and 0.004 would that be the psi value or should I be looking at the meter outside?

I was pretty sure there was no new law and had a feeling i was being lied to.
You need a gauge on a hose bib or laundry faucet to check it
gobseck wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:28 pm
Hi, I see occasional minor sewer backup around basement floor drain.
I thought it was after heavy rains, but I am not 100% sure.
It's 10 yo home on a hill. I opened 2 clean outs located in the cold room under the porch and I see nothing unusual.
I wish I knew how the pipes are connected, including the weeping tile (French drain) connection to the storm sewer.
Is it possible that it's rain water..? Or is it more likely coming from the sanitary system..?
I have washing machine in the basement.
100% your floor drains are going through your sanitary. Your storm line is completely separate
Jul 16, 2013
30 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi

I posted in a seprate thread but thought I'd ask here as well. I am thinking of having a laundry machine hookup installed in a closet. The closet however is slightly above the electrical panel that is located below in the basement. I would say the washer/dryer would not go dirctly above the electrical panel --- but maybe 2-3 feet away from the panel but on the upper level. Does this seem ok?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
velleso wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:03 pm
Hi

I posted in a seprate thread but thought I'd ask here as well. I am thinking of having a laundry machine hookup installed in a closet. The closet however is slightly above the electrical panel that is located below in the basement. I would say the washer/dryer would not go dirctly above the electrical panel --- but maybe 2-3 feet away from the panel but on the upper level. Does this seem ok?
Check the thread you started, you will see that I have already responded
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:28 pm

100% your floor drains are going through your sanitary. Your storm line is completely separate
I poured bucket of water directly into the floor drain and it went down well.
So it means, it's clogged somewhere between the floor drain and connection to the main outside?
What should I try first to clear it - manual snake or powered one (rented from HD)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
gobseck wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:40 pm
I poured bucket of water directly into the floor drain and it went down well.
So it means, it's clogged somewhere between the floor drain and connection to the main outside?
What should I try first to clear it - manual snake or powered one (rented from HD)?
Open up both your clean outs at the front wall and do the same thing. Then flush a toilet to confirm that they are going through sanitary. Either way whatever blockage you have is downstream of your floor drains. I wouldn’t bother snaking a drain if water does flow, you’re better off having it camera inspected
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 3:19 pm
Open up both your clean outs at the front wall and do the same thing. Then flush a toilet to confirm that they are going through sanitary. Either way whatever blockage you have is downstream of your floor drains. I wouldn’t bother snaking a drain if water does flow, you’re better off having it camera inspected
Thanks a lot. Why camera? roots? who can do it and how much would it cost?