Anyone need Plumbing help or advice

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 1:11 am
Tags:
None
Dec 14, 2007
582 posts
90 upvotes
We have a mixing valve for the tub. It's not giving out hot enough water, no more than 30C, even at the hottest setting. Will reducing the flow rate, IE add a ball valve, of the cold water line help?

The mixing valve is a WATTS LFMMV
http://www.wattscanada.ca/pages/_produc ... p?pid=6842

Thanks in advance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:50 pm
We have a mixing valve for the tub. It's not giving out hot enough water, no more than 30C, even at the hottest setting. Will reducing the flow rate, IE add a ball valve, of the cold water line help?

The mixing valve is a WATTS LFMMV
http://www.wattscanada.ca/pages/_produc ... p?pid=6842

Thanks in advance.
Adjust the mixing valve. (The grey cap has a screw that need to be removed to do so)
If that doesn’t solve it then the screens are probably clogged
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Dec 14, 2007
582 posts
90 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:53 am
Adjust the mixing valve. (The grey cap has a screw that need to be removed to do so)
Already turned to the hottest side.
I will let the plumber know about the screens. He wants to by pass the valve which he mentioned is against code.
This is what we have now. Seems there should have been some shut off valves going into the mixing valves.

Thanks.
Images
  • EF7EC9FE-33EE-4986-86E3-B47A586CA969.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
What are the codes around trap primers?

I've got 2 floor drains in my basement. 1 drain has a trap primer from the laundry sink, and the other is being fed by the condensate line from furnace/ac however there look to be a pipe within that drain but nothing seems to be coming from it?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:53 am
What about adjusting mixing valve at hot water heater?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5260 posts
1061 upvotes
Whitby
Bellotts wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:25 pm
What about adjusting mixing valve at hot water heater?
+1
What's the hot water temp at other faucets?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
Bellotts wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:24 pm
What are the codes around trap primers?

I've got 2 floor drains in my basement. 1 drain has a trap primer from the laundry sink, and the other is being fed by the condensate line from furnace/ac however there look to be a pipe within that drain but nothing seems to be coming from it?
Technically a condensate line from a furnace is not a suitable means of trap priming, as per plumbing code because there are times of the year where you may not have the furnace or ac on.
Your laundry faucet is suitable according to code
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:08 am
Already turned to the hottest side.
I will let the plumber know about the screens. He wants to by pass the valve which he mentioned is against code.
This is what we have now. Seems there should have been some shut off valves going into the mixing valves.

Thanks.
I’m confused as to why you would have a secondary mixing valve just for the bathtub. If you have one on your water heater you don’t require a second one for your tub and can remove it entirely
Dec 14, 2007
582 posts
90 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:13 pm
+1
What's the hot water temp at other faucets?
The other faucets are near the set temperature of the hot water tank. I never measured it. It's hot.

As having a dedicated mixing valve for the tub, plumber claimed that it's code now and it's required because if I had a soaker tub and sat right near a jet I wouldn't burn myself by accident. Makes sense but I never verified his claim. This is Alberta and we took possession 3 months ago.
Dec 14, 2007
582 posts
90 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:44 pm
I’m confused as to why you would have a secondary mixing valve just for the bathtub. If you have one on your water heater you don’t require a second one for your tub and can remove it entirely
There's a temperature control on the hot water tank but i don't think there's a mixing valve. What's the point of having a mixing valve on a water tank?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:07 pm
There's a temperature control on the hot water tank but i don't think there's a mixing valve. What's the point of having a mixing valve on a water tank?
Because the maximum allowed temperature by code at any faucet is 120degrees Fahrenheit. The minimum temperature that your tank should be set at is 140 degrees to kill Legionella bacteria. If you don’t have a mixing valve that tempers the entire hot water supply throughout your house then you would require thermostatic or pressure balanced shower faucets, and separate mixing valves at every fixture except for dishwashers and clothes washers to meet code requirement

The fact that you only have one for your bathtub and not your kitchen faucet already displays that you’re in violation of code. Your “plumber” should know this and he seems to be making up his own rules/reasons.

The code he is referring to in regards to a mixing valve required for a specific fixture has to do with the fixture being accessible to a resident or patient in a group b division 2 or 3 occupancy or a resident of a group home for special care or residence for developmentally handicapped adults

This is Ontario code FYI. I’ll double check the national code to confirm. Either way your whole home would require a mixing valve, not just the bathtub
Dec 14, 2007
582 posts
90 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:15 pm
Because the maximum allowed temperature by code at any faucet is 120degrees Fahrenheit. The minimum temperature that your tank should be set at is 140 degrees to kill Legionella bacteria. If you don’t have a mixing valve that tempers the entire hot water supply throughout your house then you would require thermostatic or pressure balanced shower faucets, and separate mixing valves at every fixture except for dishwashers and clothes washers to meet code requirement

The fact that you only have one for your bathtub and not your kitchen faucet already displays that you’re in violation of code. Your “plumber” should know this and he seems to be making up his own rules/reasons.

The code he is referring to in regards to a mixing valve required for a specific fixture has to do with the fixture being accessible to a resident or patient in a group b division 2 or 3 occupancy or a resident of a group home for special care or residence for developmentally handicapped adults

This is Ontario code FYI. I’ll double check the national code to confirm. Either way your whole home would require a mixing valve, not just the bathtub
This is very interesting. City inspector never called out anything during inspections. I will call the City tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:42 pm
Technically a condensate line from a furnace is not a suitable means of trap priming, as per plumbing code because there are times of the year where you may not have the furnace or ac on.
Your laundry faucet is suitable according to code
Great to know. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:03 pm
This is very interesting. City inspector never called out anything during inspections. I will call the City tomorrow.
What will the city say about this?

"Ooops" ?

Any recourse?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:03 pm
Inspectors miss things all the time. Often they are blanket inspectors that will inspect more than 1 trade. It’s impossible to know every code in 1 trade let alone more than