• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
pootza wrote: Well I guess you just gotta prove me wrong then. If it's in the code please show it to me.
If an inspector doesn't write you up ... everything is right. If they write you up ... then there's something wrong.
Plumbing Inspectors don’t write you up, you either pass or you don’t.
Anyway, I’ll be sure to post a pic of the appendix for you as to properly inform you on the code that you referenced.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
pootza wrote: Well I guess you just gotta prove me wrong then. If it's in the code please show it to me.
If an inspector doesn't write you up ... everything is right. If they write you up ... then there's something wrong.
There you are sir. Also included is the code definition of clear water waste to leave nothing to interpretation.

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jun 23, 2019
663 posts
524 upvotes
Hey guys, I noticed one of the toilets in the house has an issue where the water level in the bowl drops after about 20 minutes. The toilet is about a year old, I haven't had any issues with it except after this weekend when I noticed the bowl wont hold water. After flushing the water level is correct in the bowl, but slowly drops until it just sits at the very bottom of the bowl. I do not see any external leaks, the only thing I can think of is the P-Trap in the bowl is partially clogged causing water to go past it?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
I’m installing a new gas water heater (tank) , to replace an old one that expired after 19 years. What should I use as a leakproof thread sealant on the metal water connections that are on top of the tank? There are the usual 3/4” NPT male threads on the connections for the cold water in and hot water out.

I used Masters Orange T-Tape (looks like Teflon plumbing tape) but there are minor leaks seen at the threads of the hot and cold connections, at the bottom of the pipe connections that have been screwed on. So it looks like water is leaking out at the thread area, and the T-Tape has not worked right. The leak rate is only about 1 drop per minute, but of course any leak is bad news. I’m guessing I should have used some type of white paste sealant on the threads. Or maybe the threads should have been cleaned better before using the T-Tape. On my next attempt, I’m going to wash the threads with soapy water and then use alcohol to get the threads clean and oil-free, before using any sealant.

***UPDATE 1***
I will use Oatey pipe sealant on the male threads, and maybe as a prior step will apply Teflon pipe tape.

***UPDATE 2***
I actually used Megaloc sealant (Oatey product) without any tape, and when pressurized the connections held for only 2 or 3 minutes and then they again started to leak at the thread area. I called the water heater factory and they advised that using sealant paste like Megaloc is a good procedure, also advised that the joint must be wrenched tight with a lot of force, also advised it’s best to use NPT pipe fittings that are labelled as CSA approved as some non-approved fittings are out of spec and may not provide enough thread contact resulting in a leak. I used fittings from Home Depot and will check their specifications, also will check other stores.

***UPDATE 3***
Tank now installed with no leaks. Leaking hot/cold joint fitting threads were caused by insufficient tightening. They should be tightened between 1.5 and 3 turns past the finger-tightened point. I tightened a brass joint to 2.5 turns and a copper joint to 2 turns (copper is not very strong so 1.5 might be safer). I had to use a 16” crescent wrench. I used 4 turns of white Teflon tape and Oatey “Great White” sealant.
Sep 10, 2006
167 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you so much for all the answers. Really learnt something.
No.6 wrote: Sorry @pootza just have a follow-up question.
I checked the floor drain in my basement - On top of the trap primer connection line, I am also seeing my hot water tank, furnace / AC, humidifier drain pipes connected to it.
In this case, can I say its safe to seal the trap primer connection, because all other drain pipes will fill the floor drain with water from time to time?
Thanks again!
Nov 26, 2002
624 posts
48 upvotes
I need someone to fix couple of leaking toilets into the bowls in downtown Toronto. Please kindly pm me.
Oct 1, 2017
24 posts
4 upvotes
Hi,

I have a pretty weird situation! I have shower panel in basement. It worked fine for a year! However, after sometime! It started mixing hot and cold water! It mixes it in the entire house, Even if I am not using the shower!

Somebody suggested it’s the shower and we should replace the cartridge! I got an original 90$ cartridge from Rona. However same issue! Should I buy a new shower? The shower panels are pretty expensive like 700-800$

I am wondering if the issue could be something else? Maybe the cold water pressure is too high and it mixes with the hot water line ?
Jun 23, 2019
663 posts
524 upvotes
Hey guys, I recently moved into a new to me house. The previous owner installed a shower panel (?) and it's leaking. I looked all over and I cannot find the logo on the front so I don't know what brand it is. How can I find the manufacturer of the unit to find replacement parts? Also what is the cost to have this removed and converted to a normal shower head and mixing valve. It looks something like this:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Long story short: Riobel bath faucet, model Kubik US02C. https://riobelpro.ca/en/product/card/QA02

First symptom was like hammer shots on the hot water line, and thereafter no more pressure coming from the hot water, just a little water. Hot water flows normally from the small side shower, telling me that the issue is not in the hot water line. I replaced the cartridge for the main faucet (the top handle) , and still experience the same issue... Anyone have an idea?
Nov 13, 2019
394 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
hi, this one toilet bowl in our house doesn't always fill to the same level after a flush, what could be the problem?

i don't see/hear any leaks or anything

thanks
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
Is low water cut off a plumbing code requirement for boiler in BC?

My Vitoden 100 boiler has an internal flow switch/sensor. Do I still need a low water cut off?
Aug 22, 2010
6 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Everyone. Have two issues with my bathtub at the moment - dents and stuck corroded drain. More concerned about the dents and if I need to replace the entire tub or if it can be fully repaired. Two of the dents are deep and penetrated through the acrylic tub exposing what I think is the sub-floor. Was originally thinking to patch the dents using a repair kit but worried that water may still get through and result in a huge problem later on. The tub is 8 years old. Two dents (from my toddler playing with his cars in the tub…not his fault) have probably been there a few months as I thought they were only scratches until further inspection. Hopefully the extent of the dents are visible from the pictures.

Would greatly appreciate advice on how to proceed - either replacing the tub or if it can be fully repaired. I live in the GTA.
Images
  • CFA1875E-DFAD-405E-8C0D-1D6D337FFCD9.jpeg
  • 4F9A1E5A-D767-4DEA-B7DA-D941C712286C.jpeg
  • B4366D1B-9FD8-4D30-8B40-A8BBB5D45FDD.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
DoorCrasher wrote: Long story short: Riobel bath faucet, model Kubik US02C. https://riobelpro.ca/en/product/card/QA02

First symptom was like hammer shots on the hot water line, and thereafter no more pressure coming from the hot water, just a little water. Hot water flows normally from the small side shower, telling me that the issue is not in the hot water line. I replaced the cartridge for the main faucet (the top handle) , and still experience the same issue... Anyone have an idea?
Anyone have an idea?
Jan 2, 2011
533 posts
398 upvotes
Hi will be changing an alcove tub to a freestanding in a bathroom reno.

Will I need to move the drain hole in the ground or do most of these tubs have flexible connections?

Should I attempt to install it myself or call a pro? I installed a regular rub in the past.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1592 posts
960 upvotes
GTA
Optimus Deal wrote: Hi Everyone. Have two issues with my bathtub at the moment - dents and stuck corroded drain. More concerned about the dents and if I need to replace the entire tub or if it can be fully repaired. Two of the dents are deep and penetrated through the acrylic tub exposing what I think is the sub-floor. Was originally thinking to patch the dents using a repair kit but worried that water may still get through and result in a huge problem later on. The tub is 8 years old. Two dents (from my toddler playing with his cars in the tub…not his fault) have probably been there a few months as I thought they were only scratches until further inspection. Hopefully the extent of the dents are visible from the pictures.

Would greatly appreciate advice on how to proceed - either replacing the tub or if it can be fully repaired. I live in the GTA.
Those tubs are normally repairable (professionally), but your damage is in a bad spot, so not sure. Needle nose pliers sometimes works, although I would not install new drain with them unless you wrap them with electrical tape. Proper tool is $10.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky- ... UXR843EXPB
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1592 posts
960 upvotes
GTA
learsid wrote: Hi will be changing an alcove tub to a freestanding in a bathroom reno.

Will I need to move the drain hole in the ground or do most of these tubs have flexible connections?

Should I attempt to install it myself or call a pro? I installed a regular rub in the past.

Thanks!
More than likely you will have to move it. Technically you should get a permit, but if you are confident. Something like this might be able to sneak in there, but you need to be mindful of tub size and drain position.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/maax-s ... 1001226217
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Looking for shower cartridge Delta RP19804.

Any real differences based on real life experience with actual Delta part vs OEM compatible?

Looking at these:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-c ... 1000837832
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JSU ... DMHW&psc=1
https://www.build.ca/part/ULND21-Delta- ... 400-Series
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plum ... 2911p.html [Have $10 promo offer]

Next issue is to be able to remove set screw from handle else need to cut and get new handle. My bad as few years was able to remove set screw but now even cleaning gunk not successful in budging set screw.

I do have the Delta repair kit but unlikely useful as most likely will have to cut handle which will damage cartridge :(
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
georvu wrote: Looking for shower cartridge Delta RP19804.
Call Delta and get a free cartridge and handle under warranty.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
pootza wrote: Call Delta and get a free cartridge and handle under warranty.
Tried but no dice.

Few years back they sent new shower spouts but got a no for the cartridges and handles back then and now.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)