None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:03 pm
This is very interesting. City inspector never called out anything during inspections. I will call the City tomorrow.
Inspectors miss things all the time. Nothing new.
Quite often they aren’t trade specific. It’s impossible to know all code for 1 trade let alone more than
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jan 12, 2014
6 posts
Toronto
My main floor laundry sink how water faucet won't turn off. We turned off the main water supply to the house. There are no shut off valves for any of our faucets. Do I need to replace the entire faucet/spout assembly? How do you get access to the back of the laundry tub to disconnect everything? Its a small room and the washing machine is right beside the laundry sink with no room.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
seb3334 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:31 pm
My main floor laundry sink how water faucet won't turn off. We turned off the main water supply to the house. There are no shut off valves for any of our faucets. Do I need to replace the entire faucet/spout assembly? How do you get access to the back of the laundry tub to disconnect everything? Its a small room and the washing machine is right beside the laundry sink with no room.
Depending on the style of faucet it could be as simple as replacing the seat washer, the seat, or if it’s a ceramic disc, the whole cartridge
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Dec 14, 2007
519 posts
61 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:17 pm
Inspectors miss things all the time. Often they are blanket inspectors that will inspect more than 1 trade. It’s impossible to know every code in 1 trade let alone more than
In Calgary, they have specific inspectors for each trade. The ones I have seen are electrical, plumbing and gas, building (framing and safety), HVAC and design compliance. All different people. I have yet to see one inspecting another trade.
I agree they miss things but I would've thought they'd check for the mixing valve if it's required. It's such an easy item to check. The inspector called out on some small things that surprised me though.

Like you said, it's hard enough to know every code in 1 trade. Why would they have blanket inspectors inspect all trades? That's just disasters waiting to happen.

Is this mixing valve requirement in the Ontario Building Code? I have access to Alberta Building Code and no such requirement there. I don't have the National Plumbing Code though. Will definitely call to see if it's required.
Dec 14, 2007
519 posts
61 upvotes
Bellotts wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:11 pm
What will the city say about this?

"Ooops" ?

Any recourse?
I won't be questioning why they did or did not miss. Just whether a mixing valve is required at a hot water tank outlet. What can you expect from the City? They are not even liable for any mistakes they make.
If it is indeed required, the plumber will be putting one in at his cost. That will be the recourse.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:51 pm
In Calgary, they have specific inspectors for each trade. The ones I have seen are electrical, plumbing and gas, building (framing and safety), HVAC and design compliance. All different people. I have yet to see one inspecting another trade.
I agree they miss things but I would've thought they'd check for the mixing valve if it's required. It's such an easy item to check. The inspector called out on some small things that surprised me though.

Like you said, it's hard enough to know every code in 1 trade. Why would they have blanket inspectors inspect all trades? That's just disasters waiting to happen.

Is this mixing valve requirement in the Ontario Building Code? I have access to Alberta Building Code and no such requirement there. I don't have the National Plumbing Code though. Will definitely call to see if it's required.

Taken from the national code. It is not required.
Obviously it’s been a while since I’ve looked at the national book.

In Ontario like I said it’s required for everything except a dishwasher and clothes washer so it’s cheapest and most efficient to put it on the water heater this limiting the house supply

In GTA we do have some inspectors that inspect more than 1 trade
Dec 14, 2007
519 posts
61 upvotes
Red_Army,
Thanks for hosting a thread like this. It really helps us learn together. Appreciate your timely responses too.
Dec 26, 2006
161 posts
88 upvotes
Hi Red_Army, the cold water inlet for my sparco mixing valve is hot. Should the valve have backflow prevention? As a result, when I turn on the cold water tap, I get warm water for about 10 seconds then the water becomes cold. Do I have a faulty mixing valve? I've attached a diagram below:

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
vtec_chump wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 12:04 am
Hi Red_Army, the cold water inlet for my sparco mixing valve is hot. Should the valve have backflow prevention? As a result, when I turn on the cold water tap, I get warm water for about 10 seconds then the water becomes cold. Do I have a faulty mixing valve? I've attached a diagram below:

Yes, there are check valves built into the mixing valve
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1030 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 6:42 pm
Technically a condensate line from a furnace is not a suitable means of trap priming, as per plumbing code because there are times of the year where you may not have the furnace or ac on.
Your laundry faucet is suitable according to code
Follow up. Is there a code reference for this? National or Ontario specific?

Cheers
Dec 27, 2007
975 posts
304 upvotes
Oshawa
7.4.5.5.(1) Provision shall be made for maintaining the trap seal of a floor drain or a hub drain by the use of a trap seal primer, by using the drain as a receptacle for an indirectly connected drinking fountain, or by equally effective means.

The text in bold is open to the interpretation of the inspector but Red_Army is right, I don't know of any that would allow a condensate line off a furnace.

Bellotts wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 7:03 am
Follow up. Is there a code reference for this? National or Ontario specific?

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2768 posts
249 upvotes
jonnyb wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 10:33 am
7.4.5.5.(1) Provision shall be made for maintaining the trap seal of a floor drain or a hub drain by the use of a trap seal primer, by using the drain as a receptacle for an indirectly connected drinking fountain, or by equally effective means.

The text in bold is open to the interpretation of the inspector but Red_Army is right, I don't know of any that would allow a condensate line off a furnace.
In appendix A-67 it shows what is accepted
A) laundry tub faucet
B) flush valve
C) supply line mechanical primer
D) multiple primer header
E) clear water waste
F) indirect clear water waste

I’ve had inspectors pass a few different ways of priming , most recently by means of indirect drainage from an ice machine for example

I’ve also tied them off of shower head supply’s which have passed
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1030 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax
jonnyb wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 10:33 am

Awesome thanks for that.

I did notice a horizontal pipe in the drain but not sure if it's blocked from the laundry tub or it's connected to something else.

It's a new build home.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1030 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 6:25 pm
In appendix A-67 it shows what is accepted
A) laundry tub faucet
B) flush valve
C) supply line mechanical primer
D) multiple primer header
E) clear water waste
F) indirect clear water waste

I’ve had inspectors pass a few different ways of priming , most recently by means of indirect drainage from an ice machine for example

I’ve also tied them off of shower head supply’s which have passed
Beauty thanks man. I posted above about my current setup
Dec 26, 2006
161 posts
88 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 6:48 am
Yes, there are check valves built into the mixing valve
Thanks.
Is this valve required by code in Ontario? The hot water tank already has an adjustment knob so I'm thinking of just deleting the mixing valve.