• Jul 16th, 2018 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2839 posts
287 upvotes
yes it is, as previously stated, maximum temperature to any fixture is 49 celcius 120 farenheit. minimum temperature of water in HWT is 140 farenheit.
a mixing valve at the water heater is the cheapest way to achieve this
(in ontario)
vtec_chump wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:40 pm
Thanks.
Is this valve required by code in Ontario? The hot water tank already has an adjustment knob so I'm thinking of just deleting the mixing valve.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5221 posts
5110 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:41 pm
yes it is, as previously stated, maximum temperature to any fixture is 49 celcius 120 farenheit. minimum temperature of water in HWT is 140 farenheit.
a mixing valve at the water heater is the cheapest way to achieve this
(in ontario)
I assume on-demand HWH is exempt from the 140 requirement and can be set to 120 directly right?
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2839 posts
287 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 10:47 am
I assume on-demand HWH is exempt from the 140 requirement and can be set to 120 directly right?
Correct
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4776 posts
244 upvotes
Hi

Thanks so much for answering all theses questions for all these years.

I'm having low volume/low pressure problems in my house. If more than 2 fixtures are used it can cause one of them to basically be a dribble. I measured my flow rate with a bucket at the laundry tub in the basement and it takes about 9.33L per minute only. So I decided to check to see what diameter service line I'm getting or if I have a PRV (it appears I don't). Recently we renovated a washroom and it became more apparent when we put in a Grohe rainshower, it was limited to 2.5gal/m and I took out the flow restrictor and it seems to have helped but it still isn't great.

I think I've got a weird situation where it appears that a PEX pipe is running from the curb into my house. (see pictures) I measured the outside diameter and it's 0.625inches or 5/8inches. My friend whos quite handy said it looks like it's attached to a fitting then attached to the copper so it probably has reduced the inside diameter by quite a lot, but he's no plumber.

Is this a really unusual setup?

What kind of inside diameter do you think I'm actually getting with a fitting like that?

Do you think there is any point in trying to upgrade the service line to a larger size to solve my problem? I don't want to spend a ton of money only to find out it doesn't help my shower.

How likely is it that I have PEX running all the way to the sidewalk shut off valve or do you think someone ran copper up to beside the wall but just put pex through the foundation?
427x760_smart_fit.jpg
DSC_1409.JPG
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4005 posts
385 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 12:37 pm
a 3" flapper will not replace a 2". they are for different flush towers.
if your flush tower has the clip ears on the overflow tube then all you need is this one
http://www.masterplumber.ca/product/hor ... r-flapper/

Back to page 140...

I bought the Hornet flapper a few days after my last post and installed it - it's certainly much better quality than the fluidmaster (and it wasn't any more expensive), but it didn't fix the problem.
It seems that the pins on the overflow tube the ears of the flapper clip on are too high (or the ears on the flapper are too low) so when the flapper sits on the flush tube it sits at a slight angle and therefore doesn't seal completely.
The phantom flush, ie refilling, happens every 11 to 12 minutes, so not is it annoying but it also wastes a lot of water.

Any suggestions what I could check or try other than to replace the whole toilet?
Jul 17, 2010
157 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
HI Red_Army:

my toilet tank is somehow leaking and i can't see it from the water surface.
I can hear quite loud air noise and water dripping both in the washroom and basement.
i took a video

i would really appreciate it if you could give me a hint.

thank you very muchy.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4005 posts
385 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Kitchen faucet leaks - water comes out of this hole the arrow points to.
I assume the O-ring needs to be replaced, but what is the hole for?
It angles up and there is no set screw that I can see
Images
  • Kitchen faucet_2.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4005 posts
385 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Problem with the leaking kitchen faucet
To get at the O-ring the faucet needs to be partially disassembled/
I found a video covering that, but I can't get the top of the faucet off
I took the screw out at the top but the top part of the faucet that should come off - where the arrow points, won't budge.

Am I missing something?
Images
  • Kitchen faucet_1.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2839 posts
287 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 9:37 am
Hi

Thanks so much for answering all theses questions for all these years.

I'm having low volume/low pressure problems in my house. If more than 2 fixtures are used it can cause one of them to basically be a dribble. I measured my flow rate with a bucket at the laundry tub in the basement and it takes about 9.33L per minute only. So I decided to check to see what diameter service line I'm getting or if I have a PRV (it appears I don't). Recently we renovated a washroom and it became more apparent when we put in a Grohe rainshower, it was limited to 2.5gal/m and I took out the flow restrictor and it seems to have helped but it still isn't great.

I think I've got a weird situation where it appears that a PEX pipe is running from the curb into my house. (see pictures) I measured the outside diameter and it's 0.625inches or 5/8inches. My friend whos quite handy said it looks like it's attached to a fitting then attached to the copper so it probably has reduced the inside diameter by quite a lot, but he's no plumber.

Is this a really unusual setup?

What kind of inside diameter do you think I'm actually getting with a fitting like that?

Do you think there is any point in trying to upgrade the service line to a larger size to solve my problem? I don't want to spend a ton of money only to find out it doesn't help my shower.

How likely is it that I have PEX running all the way to the sidewalk shut off valve or do you think someone ran copper up to beside the wall but just put pex through the foundation?

427x760_smart_fit.jpgDSC_1409.JPG
The 3/4” pex is downstream of the meter.
Your water service going outside to the curb comes up through the ground where your main shutoff valve is (red handle)
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4776 posts
244 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 6:16 pm
The 3/4” pex is downstream of the meter.
Your water service going outside to the curb comes up through the ground where your main shutoff valve is (red handle)
Do you know where a backflow prevention valve is likely to be installed? Would a problem with it cause issues with water pressure?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2613 posts
964 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 2:57 pm
Do you know where a backflow prevention valve is likely to be installed? Would a problem with it cause issues with water pressure?
A backflow preventer is installed anywhere where a possible back siphonage could occur if the water pressure is shut off or a loss in pressure such as on an outside faucet where there is a chance that a garden hose lying on the ground in a puddle could accidentally siphon backwards through the valve contaminating the potable water supply. Also installed on the supply line feeding a hot water boiler system or such so that the water in the heating system can't come back and contaminate the potable water. These won't affect the pressure in the rest of the house as they are at the end on lines feeding an individual fixture.
You might be thinking of a pressure reducing valve which lowers the incoming water to a certain pressure.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2212 posts
103 upvotes
where can I buy a quality valve? not the AquaDynamic from HD and American Valve from Lowes.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1018 posts
359 upvotes
Oshawa
Noble, Next, Sherwood, Emco, Independent, Wolseley, Crane...no idea where you live but google any of the names listed. I'd hazard a guess there's a Noble near you.
NetAnt wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 4:11 pm
where can I buy a quality valve? not the AquaDynamic from HD and American Valve from Lowes.
Mar 30, 2016
30 posts
2 upvotes
Hello RFD why my toilet does this sound? I have 2 the same toilet in my house and only this one makes the sound. It American standerd and 1 years old.
View My Video
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1330 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Jazzminman wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:14 am
Hello RFD why my toilet does this sound? I have 2 the same toilet in my house and only this one makes the sound. It American standerd and 1 years old.
View My Video
I noticed the same thing with my toilet this week. Did you find a solution?