None
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14306 posts
4736 upvotes
eko416 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:57 am
Hi,

I am experiencing a sewer type smell around my front loading washer in the basement. I was not able to directly pinpoint the smell or always repeat the condition that causes the smell and ended up calling a plumber to take a look and he noted that the issue was not the drainage in the house.

I don't smell anything when I try to identify the smell around the front opening of the washer and the waste water that is being released from the machine is running clear with no smell. I have also used the hot water/vinegar/baking soda cycle in the machine but the smell occasionally persists.

Has anyone experience something similar?
Often smells originate from the seal around the door having mold/mildew on it. Your instruction manual should tell you how to clean this.

Now just today I cleaned out my drain pump filter and discovered some of the most foul sewer smells I have ever had. When I put the filter on the ground thick black water came out of it. Perhaps this could be a source of the smell for you? The filter itself would trap things too. I would have thought the water would stop the smell from coming up (like a typical trap) but perhaps it does not. Either way I know you are supposed to clean it out regularly so might be worth a shot.
Jul 16, 2013
33 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Zamboni wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:40 am
Was the braided line twisted during install? Seen DIY do that, the whole braided line twisting instead of the coupling nut turning freely. That can create a restriction on the line and weaken the line so it bursts in the future.
What is leaking "on occasion"?
Yes, they were twisted and kinked actually. We learned after having a plumber come take a look. The leak came from the shut off valve. It needed replacing as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7093 posts
1206 upvotes
Ajax
Looks like the trap seal in the laundry room attached to the faucet is leaking. Do most new faucets nowadays come with a line where the trap seal hose can be used with as the ones I have seen just say hot and cold water supply.