None
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14798 posts
5109 upvotes
eko416 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:57 am
Hi,

I am experiencing a sewer type smell around my front loading washer in the basement. I was not able to directly pinpoint the smell or always repeat the condition that causes the smell and ended up calling a plumber to take a look and he noted that the issue was not the drainage in the house.

I don't smell anything when I try to identify the smell around the front opening of the washer and the waste water that is being released from the machine is running clear with no smell. I have also used the hot water/vinegar/baking soda cycle in the machine but the smell occasionally persists.

Has anyone experience something similar?
Often smells originate from the seal around the door having mold/mildew on it. Your instruction manual should tell you how to clean this.

Now just today I cleaned out my drain pump filter and discovered some of the most foul sewer smells I have ever had. When I put the filter on the ground thick black water came out of it. Perhaps this could be a source of the smell for you? The filter itself would trap things too. I would have thought the water would stop the smell from coming up (like a typical trap) but perhaps it does not. Either way I know you are supposed to clean it out regularly so might be worth a shot.
Jul 16, 2013
34 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Zamboni wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:40 am
Was the braided line twisted during install? Seen DIY do that, the whole braided line twisting instead of the coupling nut turning freely. That can create a restriction on the line and weaken the line so it bursts in the future.
What is leaking "on occasion"?
Yes, they were twisted and kinked actually. We learned after having a plumber come take a look. The leak came from the shut off valve. It needed replacing as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7550 posts
1477 upvotes
Looks like the trap seal in the laundry room attached to the faucet is leaking. Do most new faucets nowadays come with a line where the trap seal hose can be used with as the ones I have seen just say hot and cold water supply.
Mar 22, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Good morning all,

Because I have had such good luck with this thread, I thought I would post another plumbing query. My sink is leaking at the spot of some piece of hardware I don't recognize. I tried tightening with a vice grips, to no avail.

I took a little video of the problem here:

I would appreciate any advice from any of you, especially OP, on what this problem is and how I might fix it.

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1439 posts
94 upvotes
richmondhill
quick question..handle to flush the toilet broke..went to home depot...and tried to match existing,,and sometimes the flapper is not closing completely with new handle,,,any recommendation on toilet handle as will return old handle
thanks
Dec 25, 2012
301 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Recommendation for replacing saddle calve that goes to whole home humidifier?

Shark bite good enough?
JS
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3290 posts
678 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
dcjcdc wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 8:37 pm
quick question..handle to flush the toilet broke..went to home depot...and tried to match existing,,and sometimes the flapper is not closing completely with new handle,,,any recommendation on toilet handle as will return old handle
thanks
Some adjustments might help; like chain length and sometimes have different places on flapper to connect. Also the flapper is sometimes adjustable [0-10]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3290 posts
678 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
danpostma wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 9:48 am
Good morning all,

Because I have had such good luck with this thread, I thought I would post another plumbing query. My sink is leaking at the spot of some piece of hardware I don't recognize. I tried tightening with a vice grips, to no avail.

I took a little video of the problem here:

I would appreciate any advice from any of you, especially OP, on what this problem is and how I might fix it.

Thank you!
Check that screwed on flush and is there a washer in the connector area?
Sep 9, 2013
523 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
Whats the best bang for my buck Waste Disposal for my kitchen sink? Thanks
May 1, 2011
843 posts
264 upvotes
Near GTA
IMG_0207.JPG
What can I do with the attached plumbing? Have gurgling noises, drain slow and smells from not having a vent and breathing through the p trap.

Double kitchen sink (building extension off 100yr old house) - no vent except basement drain stack. Branches off to bathroom on left

Edit: guess I have the silver thing?

To help the drain, I'll add more slope under bathroom sink

Must I add vents to properly fix the drainage? Where do I tie it in for the kitchen/bath
Jul 12, 2015
237 posts
38 upvotes
How difficult is it to move a drain pipe half an inch if you are taking out the bathtub and replacing it with a bigger one? Access to plumbing can be made through the ceiling below.
Last edited by AlexiRos on Feb 11th, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8389 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
We will be renovating out bathroom in the near future & we currently have old copper at least 40 if not older copper in that area. (house was built in 1912 area) I'm considering replacing the 1/2 inch copper in the bathroom with 1/2inch PEX pipes so I can get better water flow hopefully (less 90 degree turns) Any reason why I should stick with copper?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4006 posts
385 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Hi,

I have a very small leak in a plastic drain pipe running from the kitchen sink to the lower level laundry room where the pipe joins with others to go to the drain.

The leak is at a fitting just underneath the laundry room ceiling where it is very difficult to cut the pipe and replace a piece to make easily a proper repair.

I was planning to do a temporary repair to at least stop that small leak and I remember there was a method using a special rubber type collar that would go over the pipe and be be held with a pipe clamp to stop that type of leak.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Or what is the best way to do a good temporary fix for a small leak at the joint of a plastic drain pipe - that section of the pipe btw is vertical.
Dec 8, 2008
92 posts
35 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hi,
I live in a 20 storey condo building (9th floor). They are replacing all the galvanized piping to copper. Big job, very disruptive.

They have changed the 2 risers in our unit. Each had a toilet. Toilets worked normally before but now both act like intermittent geysers (getting the floor wet) or taking 3 flushes to get a tissue down.
I asked the plumbers and they say it is our toilets and it sounds like air is getting in.
Before I call in an independent plumber is there anything I should be aware of>

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5744 posts
181 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2007 3:46 pm
post here or PM me :)

also, questions about pricing will not be answered
I find this issue kind of odd. My powder room sink (builder installed 13 yrs ago) is giving off a foul smell, similar to stale smell when water is hanging around. The smell in the past few months is coming from the overflow area. If I tape it up, the smell disappears. I now a bit about construction and I've never come across this problem before. The overflow is not blocked..

What are your suggestions.
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.