None
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:34 pm
To pass code without practical access to a proper vent, the only way would be to install an AAV in the wall and extend it higher than the flood level rim of the sink, and have an air access grille
Me personally, I’d favour the drawing that you posted as opposed to an AAV. I’m not a fan of AAV’s
well the air grill isn't going to be option in the washroom wall either...

so it's either AAV under the cabinet...

or my drawing.

I prefer my drawing vs the AAV as well...

but in my example...if I was to start the vent at 26"....do I need to be up a minimum of 24" for the height of the vent?
also as @MrFrugal1 mentioned....I guess it is better to use a wye instead of the Tee?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1773 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:39 pm
well the air grill isn't going to be option in the washroom wall either...

so it's either AAV under the cabinet...

or my drawing.

I prefer my drawing vs the AAV as well...

but in my example...if I was to start the vent at 26"....do I need to be up a minimum of 24" for the height of the vent?
also as @MrFrugal1 mentioned....I guess it is better to use a wye instead of the Tee?
You would want to connect the vent back into the stack no lower than the flood level rim. As for the fitting used, you won’t benefit at all by using a wye instead of a tee or a tee wye. This would be a dry vent . In the case of a dry vent I would be install a tee wye “upside” down” and slope the 11/2” vent towards the fixture drain vent connection
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:44 pm
You would want to connect the vent back into the stack no lower than the flood level rim. As for the fitting used, you won’t benefit at all by using a wye instead of a tee or a tee wye. This would be a dry vent . In the case of a dry vent I would be install a tee wye “upside” down” and slope the 11/2” vent towards the fixture drain vent connection
if I install the tee wye upside down...I guess it is similar to the wye....in the sense that none of the 'crap' from above will get stuck in the vent from the kitchen drain....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1773 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 11:05 pm
if I install the tee wye upside down...I guess it is similar to the wye....in the sense that none of the 'crap' from above will get stuck in the vent from the kitchen drain....
Either way you’re sloping the pipe towards the fixture, but very minimal if any water/debris will make its way into the 11-2 “ on the vertical
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Feb 11, 2009
187 posts
49 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 9:26 pm
Same as pictured except kitchen sink requires a cleanout on the trap arm and just extend the AAV as high as possible in the cabinet
Yeah I will definitely put the aav as high as possible. As for the clean out, just want to confirm which fitting is the proper one? Is it with a sanitary tee, and plug it (screwed) with the cap with a square on it?

Or did you simply mean the p trap with the clean out at the bottom?

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1773 upvotes
steph3n wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 11:26 pm
Yeah I will definitely put the aav as high as possible. As for the clean out, just want to confirm which fitting is the proper one? Is it with a sanitary tee, and plug it (screwed) with the cap with a square on it?

Or did you simply mean the p trap with the clean out at the bottom?

Cheers
Line cleanout as you described, but I usually use a wye with a FTG cleanout instead
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 11:10 pm
Either way you’re sloping the pipe towards the fixture, but very minimal if any water/debris will make its way into the 11-2 “ on the vertical
appreciate it...

my wife spoke to somebody who said, if the distance of the trap arm (right after the p-trap) to the stack is less that 36" then it acts as a vent itself....and I would not need any other vent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1773 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 9:41 am
appreciate it...

my wife spoke to somebody who said, if the distance of the trap arm (right after the p-trap) to the stack is less that 36" then it acts as a vent itself....and I would not need any other vent.
Are they a master plumber? Doesn’t sound like it
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 7:34 pm
Are they a master plumber? Doesn’t sound like it
well...they have a plumbing business...but not sure if they are a plumber....that's why I"m asking...

by the way....is there any way to check a plumber is licensed or not?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4535 posts
1773 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 11:04 pm
well...they have a plumbing business...but not sure if they are a plumber....that's why I"m asking...

by the way....is there any way to check a plumber is licensed or not?
Yes, you can look up anyone’s name on the Ontario college of trades website and see their credentials. (Any registered trade not just plumbing)

In order to have a “plumbing business” you must have a masters license, unless you’re using someone else’s license number.
Based on what he told you about this 36” BS and not requiring a vent. I wouldn’t take his advice seriously as it’s completely false, and it definitely raises a red flag with me in regards to his credentials. Code is code, and what they described is completely unheard of within the Ontario, and National plumbing codes.

It would be amusing for me to see him try and provide a code book reference for his “suggestion” 🤣
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
just out of curiosity...say i'm working with what i have...the 3" soil stack...

what if my sink was going to be even closer....let's say the trap arm (the horizontal portion of pipe) was about 12"...how would venting work in that scenario?
Jan 19, 2016
49 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Hi,

I live in a condo and the water is strange.

When I open the tap and turn it to cold. It's cool for about 10 seconds, but then it goes to hot/warm for about a minute and a half, then back to cool. Its irritating. It occurs more often if I haven't used the water for awhile. This occurs on all my rooms (both kitchen and washroom). I was hoping to get some advice on what it could be.

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
Blacklist wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:15 am
Hi,

I live in a condo and the water is strange.

When I open the tap and turn it to cold. It's cool for about 10 seconds, but then it goes to hot/warm for about a minute and a half, then back to cool. Its irritating. It occurs more often if I haven't used the water for awhile. This occurs on all my rooms (both kitchen and washroom). I was hoping to get some advice on what it could be.

Thank you.
When i lived in a condo....i used to turn on teh cold...it was burning hot for so long...had to let it run for a long time just to fill the dog's bowl with cold water...

spoke to management and they had changed the setting of something (not sure of terminology...boiler/main???) because other units weren't getting enough hot water...
Aug 15, 2018
51 posts
48 upvotes
Question:
Is it safe to use sharkbite fittings to do my shower plumbing (behind the wall) or is there risk that it will leak in the future?
I am attracted to the ease of use of the sharkbite fittings (no need for any tools). I should mention I am trying to attach PEX pipes only (1/2 inch).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3510 posts
2189 upvotes
Ottawa
Ofirsc wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 12:22 pm
Question:
Is it safe to use sharkbite fittings to do my shower plumbing (behind the wall) or is there risk that it will leak in the future?
I am attracted to the ease of use of the sharkbite fittings (no need for any tools). I should mention I am trying to attach PEX pipes only (1/2 inch).
Last time i talked to my dad, sharkbite fittings behind drywall were considered acceptable according to building code. Obviously second hand information so take it as it is, but if it's acceptable as far as building code, you'll be fine.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”