• Jul 19th, 2016 7:06 am
Tags:
None
Nov 20, 2006
134 posts
Toronto, Ontario
mart242 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 7:19 pm
Separate, but running it for a driveway is really costly (and not energy efficient!). Just park the cars in the garage and pay someone to shovel, it will be cheaper!
I am thinking of a situation where your suggestion would not really apply: sunken garage, with hard slope towards the garage. You can't really afford any patches of ice there; no matter how much you shovel.
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 7:34 pm
There is no need for a separate water heater with a hydronic system
With radiant heating a separate ventilation system is required
That's interesting. You have any sites with pictures of installation? I'd like to see how it's done.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
nik003 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 7:52 pm
I am thinking of a situation where your suggestion would not really apply: sunken garage, with hard slope towards the garage. You can't really afford any patches of ice there; no matter how much you shovel.
We had that in Montreal back in the days (most houses were like this). The only solution was a "Tempo" http://www.abristempo.com/en/index.asp Ugly as $##! but no other choice..
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
What are your thoughts on instant water heaters?.. any brands to avoid, and any place to get good heaters for cheap?
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4563 posts
489 upvotes
Have you retrofitted one of those fancy shower panels into a single control shower stall? Costco has a Pulse Kihei shower panel that looks nice. However, the installation requires that separate hold and cold be run into it since it has it's own diverter and cannot use the existing diverter that I have. How hard is it to cut away this diverter (as suggested by the installation manual), add threads and plumb it in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
nik003 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 7:52 pm

That's interesting. You have any sites with pictures of installation? I'd like to see how it's done.
this is the best i can find
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_ ... 29151.html
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2007 2:20 am
Have you retrofitted one of those fancy shower panels into a single control shower stall? Costco has a Pulse Kihei shower panel that looks nice. However, the installation requires that separate hold and cold be run into it since it has it's own diverter and cannot use the existing diverter that I have. How hard is it to cut away this diverter (as suggested by the installation manual), add threads and plumb it in?
it is very hard considering the bathroom would already be tiled...its easy as pie if you have access in behing the shower wall
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
Tjalfe wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 8:00 pm
What are your thoughts on instant water heaters?.. any brands to avoid, and any place to get good heaters for cheap?
instant water heaters are great...they save energy, money and space
as for brands, rheem, bosch, ge, american heater,whirlpool,ao smith, are all very good
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
Do you know if it is OK to install an instant, or tankless water heater on an interior wall, which is 12 feet from the outside?..

I have an existing chimney, which my mid efficiency furnace and current water heater uses, can they still share, if using a tankless?.. if venting to the outside, is 12feet horizontal + a bit of vertical too far for the vent?

Is there much more to the installation than bolting the unit to the wall, run water pipes, vent, gas and power and turn on?
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
Tjalfe wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2007 1:44 pm
Do you know if it is OK to install an instant, or tankless water heater on an interior wall, which is 12 feet from the outside?..

I have an existing chimney, which my mid efficiency furnace and current water heater uses, can they still share, if using a tankless?.. if venting to the outside, is 12feet horizontal + a bit of vertical too far for the vent?

Is there much more to the installation than bolting the unit to the wall, run water pipes, vent, gas and power and turn on?
yes you can vent it through the existing chimney, and you can install it on an interior wall...

as for installing , it really varies depending on which kind you are using wheter it be electric, or gas....Because of the power draw, multiple circuits and/or heavier wire will be necessary for installation of electric units

as for installing, you have to install a pressure releif valve so that the unit doesent overheat
Dec 6, 2003
49 posts
1 upvote
I just bought a house and when I went to bed the first night I noticed the sound of running water. I went around the house to see where it was coming from, but can't find it. I went in the basement and looked around but couldn't find anything to shut off to make the noise go away. I live in a townhome if that helps, but what could possibly make it sound like water is running all the time???
Dec 6, 2003
49 posts
1 upvote
Checked the toilets and they don't seem to be running. This is my first home and I'm unsure if this is normal behavior. It doesn't seem to be in my eyes. It sounds like if you're in the basement that someone is washing dishes upstairs and has the water running.
Feb 18, 2006
867 posts
13 upvotes
Well I'm not a plumber but water should not be constantly running if you aren't using it. If you can't find water pooling up somewhere then it can't be a leaky pipe. What about a slow dripping faucet? Are you sure it's the sound of water? What do you use for heat? If it's the old style steam heaters then I'll have to kill you! LOL cause then of course it's the water running through the pipe heaters to keep you warm. Also you can check the humidifier connected to the forced-air furnace if you have one, maybe the water is leaking from that. Please let me know what it is when you find out, I'm curious now.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2310 posts
177 upvotes
I have dripping faucet in the shower in our bathroom. We replaced old one 5 years ago. Do I have to replace whole faucet or I can replace some parts inside ?? How would plumber replace it, if tiles around it??

Thank you,
Mar 5, 2006
161 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
What's the normal rate a plumber should charge for something like installing a water softener? Thanks!
× < >