Pets

Anyone notice a change in Acana dry food?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 8:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver

Anyone notice a change in Acana dry food?

Anybody here that buys Acana dry food for there dog? They recently updated there packaging and I can notice a definite difference in the food as well. It's a bit if a different consistency now and my dig doesn't get excited to eat right away like he did before.

Anyone else notice this?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Nope, but I find with Acana that it will often have a different colour, consistency and odour from bag to bag. It's not exactly the same each time.
Feb 3, 2011
231 posts
27 upvotes
Thornhill
Acana plant had a fire in September 2012 (40% was destroyed) so I think they moved production to another factory.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Our dog loves it just as much as ever.
Dec 29, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
They didn't move production after the fire, they just stopped making some kinds. They are up and going again but it will probably be awhile before they are caught up. As for being different, it could be just the bag, they do fully guarantee it, so if your dog won't eat it takeIt back and get another bag.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
They lost 1 of 2 dryers, so perhaps making it in the Orijen one now?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't notice any changes but the colour since it varies slightly from bag to bag. I change the flavour every couple of bags so I don't know if the changes you notice is something I would even pick up on.
Dec 17, 2003
441 posts
74 upvotes
Kingston
They recently made changes to the food, there is a facebook group that has a bit more info, but I have seen quite a few people complaining their dogs will not eat it any more.
A reply from the company regarding changes to the food

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your questions.

Whenever we make changes to ACANA we are trying to get closer to our mandate of creating Biologically Appropriate Pet foods from Fresh, Regional Ingredients.

We have decreased the potato content in our diets, and introduced lentils and field beans as low glycemic alternatives. These new ingredients help to moderate the glycemic numbers of the Regional diets.

Our commitment to using fresh, regional ingredients has led to the introduction of fresh fruit and vegetables year round from the Fraser and Okanagan Valleys. Ingredients such as parsnips, butternut squash, and Bartlett Pears have improved the product performance in our diets by providing additional fibre. Pea fiber has gone down the ingredient list (17th) in the new Ranchlands and the old Ranchlands pea fiber was listed 14th on the ingredient panel. All of the apples and pears used in our formulas are cored prior to use and there are no seeds.

Canola oil was only added to the ACANA Pacifica diet. Canola was developed using traditional plant breeding techniques right here in Canada and is rich in health-protective vitamin E and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Essential polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as Linoleic Acid (an omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid) play an important role in skin and coat health, organ function and decreasing inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis. It is important when formulating diets to ensure the omega 6 to omega 3 fatty are within the nutritionally ideal range. Our cold-pressed, GMO-free Canola oil adds an omega 6 component, traditionally only seen in grains and poultry, without compromising the nutritional integrity of our fish based formulations.

I hope that I have been helpful and please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions that you may have."