Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Anyone own or applied for a Tim Hortons franchise?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 4:30 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2015
112 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver

Anyone own or applied for a Tim Hortons franchise?

or are you too balling to be on this forum if you owned one?

Anyways. How long ago did you apply? How was the process? Can you privately message me location and rough numbers? Are the current management issues THAT bad? If you're in my area I can treat you to a nice meal to bend your ear. Thanks in advance
6 replies
Aug 15, 2010
167 posts
20 upvotes
Nanaimo
No personal experience, but I had heard that Tim Horton's franchisees were suing the parent company in a class action law suit.

Here is the article.
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"
Mar 10, 2012
223 posts
239 upvotes
PEACHLAND
I don't know that anyone who owns one Tim Horton's franchise would be "too ballin'" to be on here. Be prepared for Tim Horton's to tell you where you're going to live, much like McDonald's. That's a dealbreaker for me, I'm going to open a business where I want to, not where the franchisor tells me I'm going to. Tim Horton's owns the land, building and all improvements. You lease everything from them (again much like McDonald's). This is my understanding anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
6016 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
dont u need like $800,000 and be accredited or some non-sense like that.

not worth it.. I can't see how a franchisee today, is making money off this.. Unless you are a franchisee opening a Tims in a busy city/town that doesn't have one... e.g. if you can get into the US market, you probably have a chance... but Canada is pretty saturated.

too bad STarbucks doesn't franchise... i would say starbucks is the only franchise to get into if possible righ tnow.
[OP]
May 21, 2015
112 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
$1.5 million is needed. In my area there are tim horton's 5 minutes away from each other and both are always busy.

I don't mind moving anywhere. I've lived in towns before (sub 10,000 population) and survived.

yup I'm aware of the class action lawsuit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
6016 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
typejr wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 12:11 am
$1.5 million is needed. In my area there are tim horton's 5 minutes away from each other and both are always busy.

I don't mind moving anywhere. I've lived in towns before (sub 10,000 population) and survived.

yup I'm aware of the class action lawsuit.
1.5 million, such a waste of time and money.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1899 posts
374 upvotes
My friend has 3 Tim's. He had to manage Tims for 3 years before he could buy 3 of them off his uncle.

He does make 100K per store / year. He has managers in each one so he just collects. Does not make a lot because he has to re-invest so much in each promotion, equipment, renovation..etc.