Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Anyone receive the "Bait-n-Switch" scam from DELL on the Eneloop ECH420 $15.99 deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2010 6:01 pm
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored

[Dell] Anyone receive the "Bait-n-Switch" scam from DELL on the Eneloop ECH420 $15.99 deal?

I placed an order for 4 of the Sanyo Eneloop ECH420 kits at $15.99 each
on Monday morning September 13th (the 7th day of the 11 Days of Deals).

Based on the regular price of $39.99 for each this appeared to be a smokin'
good deal for the new 2nd Gen Eneloop batteries and the new MQN09 charger.

http://www.eneloop.info/products/charge ... mqn09.html

This is the DELL page clearly displaying the ECH420 kit and 'highlights' the following:

- NEW MQN09 Charger
- Flip Open Battery Visor

As of September 22, 2010 12:38PDT I noticed that DELL.ca had changed their website
to reflect the fact that they were in fact selling the old stock. See the 'newly updated'
URL below. I however am one step ahead of these scammers and have the original
screen capture from the day I received the purchase with the old stock. I made this
screen capture just in case DELL.ca tried to change their webpage and claim that it never
listed the MQN09 charger. See the screen capture directly below the 'newly updated' DELL.ca URL.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=A4049269

This is the screen capture from September 14, 2010 of the Dell.ca webpage and you will note that it did say
"NEW MQN09 Charger" and "Flip Open Battery Visor". Also note that it does not mention that the batteries
are 1st or 2nd gen but in the updated DELL.ca page it now lists them as "Original EneloopAA x 4" and
"Original EneloopAAA x 2". Why do you suppose they did that?

Here's the screen capture of the original webpage BEFORE Dell.ca changed it.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47 ... 20page.jpg

This is what I received and you'll note the two green LEDs and no 'flip open battery visor'
and of course no cool blue LEDs that light up the place at night.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47 ... ECH420.jpg

Anyone else received the 1st gen ECH420 instead of the 2nd gen ECH420 with the new MQN09 charger
and 2nd gen 4x AA and 2x AAA Eneloops that can be charged up to 1500x?

Of course DELL's solution for this 'error' is for you to return the kits and they will issue you a refund. You
can always order the kits again (full price). I really want to hear from anyone that may have been hit
with this bait-n-switch scam to get rid of old stock.

Now DELL is blaming Sanyo Canada in Richmond for shipping out old stock. I would really think that if it
was only me then it would just be an error but I am already starting hear that others have been dealt the
same old stock.

If you do get burned by DELL with old stock and want to make sure they pay for this scam then DON'T
return the 'bait-n-switch' product first. Make them send you the right one first or you will never get the
right one at their sale price.

If you really want to make DELL pay then hold on to the scam product and let's get a list made up
everyone burned in this latest DELL scam and launch a class action suit to teach DELL that Canadians
should be treated fairly like their American customers. This B.S. would never happen in the U.S.
because the U.S. fraud laws have much larger teeth but as a class action suit we would have those same
teeth to make them pay. Maybe next time DELL will think differently about trying to rip off what it thinks
are easy 'Canadian' prey.
14 replies
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
A work friend also received the old stock ECH420 with the MQN06 charger and old 1st gen Eneloop batteries.

Anyone else received the old stock ECH420 from DELL's $15.99 Monday September 13th special?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Did they fix their problem?
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
hdave wrote: Did they fix their problem?

...unless returning them for a full refund solves the problem that they got caught doing a bait-n-switch. :mad:

What is it with Dell.ca? Our company in the U.S. uses Dell and when Dell in the U.S. screws up like this they
make good on their error by shipping replacements out ASAP and giving us a large credit which usually is the
cost of the order, now that's customer service.

In Canada, Dell.ca just pretty much tells you to go piss off when Dell gets caught screwing the pooch. Must
be some law in the U.S. that protects U.S. customers and that law does not exist in Canada so Dell.ca knows
this and treats its Canadian customers accordingly.
Jul 9, 2006
117 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Weird, I remember seeing those batteries in the dell deals and remember the picture looking the same as the one you received. Cause I bought the eneloops in a previous sale in june with the quick charger, so was comparing what they were selling this time and saw it came in green packaging and didn't come with the quick charger. The pic I saw during the dell sales didn't look like the charger with the flip screen, unless they changed it later, but I checked around 9am pst.
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
Rover wrote: Weird, I remember seeing those batteries in the dell deals and remember the picture looking the same as the one you received. Cause I bought the eneloops in a previous sale in june with the quick charger, so was comparing what they were selling this time and saw it came in green packaging and didn't come with the quick charger. The pic I saw during the dell sales didn't look like the charger with the flip screen, unless they changed it later, but I checked around 9am pst.

The ECH420 kit first came with a MQN06 overnight charger, the one with two green LEDs as shown
in the link of the items I received. That's the 1st version which has been replaced by the newer
ECH420 with the MQN09 (blue LED overnight charger). Look at the shape of the new MQN09 charger
in the Sanyo link and you will see it has a rounder top and larger body then the older MQN06. You'll
also note that plastic blister pack that I received was made for the newer MQN09 charger's shape
and the old MQN06 that's in there is 'floating' inside there because it's the wrong shape and size.

The only reason I bought these Eneloop ECH420 kits was because they came with the new MQN09
charger as described in the 'highlights'. I even went to Sanyo.ca's website to confirm that the
MQN09 was the new one with the blue LEDs. Believe me it was shown with the new charger and
listed the highlights for the MQN09 during the sale.
Jul 9, 2006
117 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Well, maybe I remembered wrong, but I remember looking at it and seeing the one on sale including the mqn06 charger and never saw the newer sanyo charger pic. I needed more eneloop double A so I was debating buying that or an 8 pack or sale for $24.99 in just a regular sale. I remember specifically thinking, I already have a charger, so if I bought 2 of these I would get 8 AAs for $30 plus 2 chargers and triple As that I don't need. Therefore I decided to buy the 8 pack of batteries for $24.99 instead.
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
Rover wrote: Well, maybe I remembered wrong, but I remember looking at it and seeing the one on sale including the mqn06 charger and never saw the newer sanyo charger pic. I needed more eneloop double A so I was debating buying that or an 8 pack or sale for $24.99 in just a regular sale. I remember specifically thinking, I already have a charger, so if I bought 2 of these I would get 8 AAs for $30 plus 2 chargers and triple As that I don't need. Therefore I decided to buy the 8 pack of batteries for $24.99 instead.

The highlights CLEARLY mention the model number MQN09 and the flip lid so even if you
'thought' you saw the old MQN06 charger in the picture you couldn't have mistaken the
highlights.

Maybe you were looking at another sale item or another sale date but the September 13, 2010
sale on the ECH420 was CLEARLY for the new MQN09 charger + 4AA and 2AAA. Heck even the
plastic blister pack is shaped for the rounder MQN09 charger. The MQN06 charger that came with
this ECH420 kit is smaller and is loose in that blister pack. How do you explain that?
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
Dell shipped stock from the Toronto warehouse as well last week and the were shipping
the old ECH420 with the old MQN06 chargers. So this isn't just the Vancouver warehouse
with old stock, it's all of Dell.ca selling old stock but listing the new stock. That to me
sounds like 'Bait-n-Switch'.
Jul 9, 2006
117 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
LesCMoore wrote: The highlights CLEARLY mention the model number MQN09 and the flip lid so even if you
'thought' you saw the old MQN06 charger in the picture you couldn't have mistaken the
highlights.

Are we looking at the same page? The highlights in your link here http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=A4049269 doesn't show that. It shows this. Those are the same highlights I remember reading the day it was on sale.

Highlights

* MQN06 Charger
* Charges up to 4 x AA or AAA
* Dual Voltage (Ideal for Travel)
* Fold-away plug (Ideal for Travel)
* Charges 5-7.5 hrs
* Original EneloopAA x 4
* Original EneloopAAA x 2
* PET and Cardboard packaging
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
Rover wrote: Are we looking at the same page? The highlights in your link here http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=A4049269 doesn't show that. It shows this. Those are the same highlights I remember reading the day it was on sale.

Highlights

* MQN06 Charger
* Charges up to 4 x AA or AAA
* Dual Voltage (Ideal for Travel)
* Fold-away plug (Ideal for Travel)
* Charges 5-7.5 hrs
* Original EneloopAA x 4
* Original EneloopAAA x 2
* PET and Cardboard packaging

Here is the original page. I took a screen capture of it when I was on the phone with Dell
customer service just in case this very thing were to take place and then I would have no
proof.

[IMG]http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47 ... 20page.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the close-up of the image of the MQN09 charger that was on that page.

[IMG]http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47 ... 049269.jpg[/IMG]

I find it odd that you would just 'pop up' here and pretty much 'defend' Dell.ca when
they had 'just' changed their website. I'll just assume you 'like' Dell.ca a lot but it does
make one wonder on your timing...
Jul 9, 2006
117 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes you caught me red handed. I work for dell. It was more coincidence I saw this thread cause I was looking at the 2209wa thread and this one just happened to be at the top today. Maybe you're right though, who knows as I don't remember 100%.
Sep 13, 2010
508 posts
701 upvotes
Censored
Rover wrote: Yes you caught me red handed. I work for dell. It was more coincidence I saw this thread cause I was looking at the 2209wa thread and this one just happened to be at the top today. Maybe you're right though, who knows as I don't remember 100%.

No offence but I have heard first hand that Dell plants 'shills' into forums to cause confusion. What I said was more 'tongue-n-cheek' ;) as
I knew this would be too obvious if Dell were to plant a shill with this kind of timing but then again you really can't put much past Dell.ca.

I find it really odd that Dell would alter their webpage for the ECH420 just out of the blue unless they received a lot of complaints or
someone from Dell.ca is watching these forums and gave them the heads-up. The odd part of all of this is I'm hearing people getting
replacement orders arriving with the same old MQN06 charger that was first shipped.

Is Dell that stoooooopid or do they not know what they are shipping? :facepalm:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)