Entertainment

Anyone remember the 90s sitcom Newsradio which had a couple Canadian actors?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2013 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
247 upvotes

Anyone remember the 90s sitcom Newsradio which had a couple Canadian actors?

Does anyone remember a 90s sitcom called NewsRadio? It had a strong cast that included Canadian Dave Foley from Kids In The Hall and Phil Hartman from Saturday Night Live and the voice of Troy McClure from The Simpsons. Both were funny guys. Unfortunately, Hartman passsed away during I think the 4th season of the show due to his wife shooting him which is a shame. He was the funniest character in that show and from all his interviews, I could just imagine him being an excellent character on a show like The Office.

Anyways, I've been seeing a bit of this lately and have to say that it's one of the best sitcoms from the 90s. Friends and The Simpsons would be my two favourites from that time period but this show at its best was better than many others including Frasier and more popular ones like Home Improvement. It was one of the best early workplace comedies. It didn't have a mockumentary style like The Office or Parks & Rec but had a similar dynamic and the jokes weren't cheese despite a laugh track.

Anyways, I really miss shows like this one. There are 17 new sitcoms premiering and most of them are not laugh-track comedies. The ones which are such as Dads look extremely unfunny and distasteful. There are very few of these types of sitcoms that are consistent and do not rely on awkward humour plus have a feel-good type of story without getting too mushy or focusing too much on romantic relationships.

4 replies
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
yes.....a very under-rated show...i had forgotton joe rogan was in this.

phill hartman was funny as hell, loved him on SNL.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
Yah the show was pretty good. Then Phil Hartman died. The last season wasn't quite the same, but at least they gave it a go.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i liked the show and i liked the owner who now is on Boardwalk Empire. I cant remember his name though.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Jun 30, 2009
905 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
I liked the show. The later seasons got weak, then just died when Phil Hartman passed. The scene where Dave Foley and Phil Hartman quit coffee and cigarettes, then rip into the spaz during withdrawal was great.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)