Automotive

Is anyone taking their winter tires off this weekend in the Ottawa area??

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2016 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1965 posts
1096 upvotes
Kanata, ON

Is anyone taking their winter tires off this weekend in the Ottawa area??

I'm in the Ottawa area and are heading into New York for a few days next week. It would be nice to take the winter tires off for our trip considering the mild weather and lack of snow at the moment. Long range forecast shows the possibility of snow snow, but all day time temps are above 0.

Just wondering what the general consensus on here is about swapping winter tires for summer/all-season tires now? Or best to wait for another week or two to make sure we're not hit with any other major storms?

Thanks! :)
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1722 posts
1559 upvotes
I'm changing weekend.

Dunno why we need a thread for this. Nobody controls the weather, the forecast is just a prediction. If you want to wait, then wait. Its always a gamble, so take your risk.
Jul 3, 2015
65 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa
I would advise to wait least 2 weeks before doing so as we are supposedly expecting 10-15cm of snow along with rain. I was also thinking of it along with gettting car wash but its useless at the moment with snow melting and pot holes that leave you dodging around like crazy. Spring is around the corner but not there yet for me to put my all season tires back.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
I'm waiting until early April at the least.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I'm taking the winter tires off my truck this weekend. My summer tires are winter rated all terrains, so I'm not scared if it snows, which it likely won't in my area.
I'm going to leave the winter tires on my wife's car, as her summer tires are summer tires, and useless in the snow / cold. We might be driving (in her car) to Smiths Falls in a week.
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
Have two cars and will be taking it off on one car. It's a lease and I need to get another season out of them. If the weather goes bad, we'll just fall back on the secondary car that will have winters on until probably the end of the month.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
next weekend for me

I do remember taking off my tires one year and there was a snowfall right at the end of march when I was driving to NYC. I had performance summer tires so the drive was a bit nerve wracking when the snow started coating the road. Luckily it was only for a short stretch of the 416 until I hit the border
Feb 29, 2016
18 posts
6 upvotes
RealCop23 wrote: I would advise to wait least 2 weeks before doing so as we are supposedly expecting 10-15cm of snow along with rain. I was also thinking of it along with gettting car wash but its useless at the moment with snow melting and pot holes that leave you dodging around like crazy. Spring is around the corner but not there yet for me to put my all season tires back.
Agreed. There is still time for one last winter wallop. Plus the potholes are huge now, esp downtown. Queen street is very poor.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
I usually wait until at least April. Normally easter weekend but this year it is pretty early.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Swapping out the winter on my Explorer today, otherwise I will procrastinate and never get it done (not fun doing one wheel at a time and they're 20" A/S).

On the RX350, I'm going to wait until more snow melts, because the A/S are in the backyard shed.

The tire shops are starting to get booked and for those that can't swap themselves, maybe better to get ahead of the line up.
May 9, 2010
433 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Stock R wrote: Not until we have constant +7C temps.

What's the rush?
Quick wearing of winter tires I'm assuming.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
Changed mine this past Monday. Car was in garage for another item and had them do the seasonal tire change at the same time.
Sep 19, 2009
686 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
Freezing rain in the forcast for Monday in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
vkizzle wrote: Only applies to residents and not visitors.
You are right, my bad. Thanks (and thanked) for the update

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)