Automotive

Anyone tried Autoeurope when renting cars in Europe?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2018 8:33 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48073 posts
13767 upvotes

Anyone tried Autoeurope when renting cars in Europe?

It's a rental car search aggregator.

I was checking out Hertz and just tried to google "rental car Italy" and found it on the top of the google search

$190.04 CAD for ALFA ROMEO GIULIA or similar (full size) doesn't sound so bad for a three day rental.

Or maybe I should just rent a X1 or similar (compact class) for $112.90 CAD lol
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
17 replies
Oct 20, 2010
433 posts
86 upvotes
look at goldcar.es they are based in spain but operate through europe(some of it). might need to switch website language.

Used them last year when i went to portugal for a few weeks. Cheaper by a bit
They send me promos all the time by email.
Apr 6, 2008
869 posts
420 upvotes
I used it to rent a car in Ireland. Ended up with Hertz cheapest car possible, I think it was like 330$ for the week including all inclusive insurance (insurance is super expensive there and you can't use coverage from a credit card). We got a Renault Clio, nice little car with air conditioning. 5 sp stick.

Went off without a hitch, only hiccup is I booked it like 9 months in advance. About a month before the flight they changed the flight time and we were leaving Ireland about 4 hours later. I tried to change the reservation but in order to do that I would have had to cancel and rebook, and it was like 800$ with the small change. So we left it as is and ended up going to the airport early. But otherwise happy camper.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2232 posts
910 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 11:00 pm
I used it to rent a car in Ireland. Ended up with Hertz cheapest car possible, I think it was like 330$ for the week including all inclusive insurance (insurance is super expensive there and you can't use coverage from a credit card). We got a Renault Clio, nice little car with air conditioning. 5 sp stick.
I rented with Hertz in Ireland too via Autoeurope... they [Ireland Hertz] don't recognize credit card insurance, but will let you rent from them without taking insurance, but they put a 6000euro hold on my credit card in case something happened and charge 30euros for declining CDW/LDW (wft??). Still can't complain - $88 for 6 days in a Passat diesel manual... awesome car to tour the island.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1394 posts
491 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I normally book direct with Europcar, Hertz or Sixt. Tried Autoeurope for an Italian rental 3 years ago. Hertz fulfilled the rental and it was less than what I would have got directly.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1839 posts
188 upvotes
I usually use Europcar or Sixt in Europe. The others are usually a lot more expensive.
Nov 13, 2013
30 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Sixt is my go to rental company whilst in Europe. Used them in the UK, Germany, and Netherlands. Last year rented a car in Germany, it has a issue whilst in the UK, they were quick to get Mercedes road side to come pick the car and have their local UK branch to drop me a replacement car. I usually do a quick drop off before the flight and never been hit with 'damage or cleaning charges with them. If you book out of their high volume locations during peak season you have a high chance of being bumped up. I've had 3 series to 5 , and C to E class on several occasions at no extra charge.

haven't tried many others besides Hertz, to which they claimed I curbed a rim and broke a had a dent on the car, I normally do a quick look around the car when picking and dropping and take a picture of damage or marks, but did not help they still charged the cc, luckily the credit card insurance covered the 1400 euro bill.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48073 posts
13767 upvotes
Thanks people.

Our OPCF27 in Ontario is only good in North America?

Edit: No good outside US and Canada:
http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broch ... nting.aspx

the OPCF 27 is only valid for driving non-owned automobiles in Canada and the United States. If you are driving internationally, you will have to purchase coverage elsewhere. Also, the auto rental agreement must be in your name, if you are the insured person named on the auto policy.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1201 posts
382 upvotes
I used Autoeurope in Norway, with Hertz. Wanted a manual for fun, but they didn't have one and upgraded me to a VW Polo with auto, A/C, adaptive cruise and Apple Play. It worked out fine.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7005 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Psychopathetic wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 11:54 am
I used Autoeurope in Norway, with Hertz. Wanted a manual for fun, but they didn't have one and upgraded me to a VW Polo with auto, A/C, adaptive cruise and Apple Play. It worked out fine.
First time I've ever heard of anybody being "upgraded" to a Polo :)