[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5056 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga

Anyone try CrossBorderPickup?

http://crossborderpickups.ca/

Sounds too good to be true. Anyone try them yet?

Plan on ordering something small from Amazon to test. Sounds really risky for them to do. (What if I buy a bunch of stuff and choose not to pay them the customs if I feel its too high)
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
180 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1864 posts
362 upvotes
Nunavut
Haven't tried these guys but a friend uses a UPS mailbox in Niagara, he recently made use of their new service which is exactly the same as this where they bring your packages to the GTA where you pick them up for a fee

A number of places are starting to do the same
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18325 posts
3430 upvotes
Thornhill
It's interesting how the rates are by size/weight and not by price. Especially if they're crossing it over the border. A small package with a high value may incur taxes, right? Something is off, it sounds fantastic though.
Jan 23, 2011
396 posts
261 upvotes
Dinujan wrote:
May 19th, 2015 4:03 pm

Plan on ordering something small from Amazon to test. Sounds really risky for them to do. (What if I buy a bunch of stuff and choose not to pay them the customs if I feel its too high)
Not sure about those guys, but I've used CBI USA 3 times for about 4K worth of stuff with no problems. I researched them and found nothing but good reviews and it seems they've been around for a while. They have a warehouse just across the Niagara Falls border. They're really cheap too. If I remember correctly it's based on package size. I remember paying $12 US for a mountain bike if that gives you any idea.

It sounds great to not have to drive across the border, but I'm skeptical about this. I'm sure there are lots of abandoned packages and if they're paying the customs and then collecting it from the customer how can they make money doing it so cheaply. Also, no reviews or feedback that I can find... I don't think I'd risk it with anything of real value.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5056 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
coriolis wrote:
May 19th, 2015 4:46 pm
It's interesting how the rates are by size/weight and not by price. Especially if they're crossing it over the border. A small package with a high value may incur taxes, right? Something is off, it sounds fantastic though.
well if you read their terms it says they open your package to speed up the customs process.

They also ask for the invoice which I guess helps speed up the process.

RedFoxComp wrote:
May 19th, 2015 6:30 pm
Not sure about those guys, but I've used CBI USA 3 times for about 4K worth of stuff with no problems. I researched them and found nothing but good reviews and it seems they've been around for a while. They have a warehouse just across the Niagara Falls border. They're really cheap too. If I remember correctly it's based on package size. I remember paying $12 US for a mountain bike if that gives you any idea.

It sounds great to not have to drive across the border, but I'm skeptical about this. I'm sure there are lots of abandoned packages and if they're paying the customs and then collecting it from the customer how can they make money doing it so cheaply. Also, no reviews or feedback that I can find... I don't think I'd risk it with anything of real value.
I use CBI too, but being able to pick up 10mins away from my house is a huge bonus. I'm going to try ordering that OBI202 from newegg and see how it goes.

I just signed up, My customer number is in the low 100s, so it looks like this a fairly new setup
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18984 posts
119361 upvotes
GTA
Definitely quite new:

From whois:

[QUOTE]Domain name: crossborderpickups.ca
Domain status: registered
Creation date: 2015/02/21
Expiry date: 2016/02/21
Updated date: 2015/02/26[/QUOTE]

So I guess as of now they only have the one location in Mississauga?
Feb 24, 2009
198 posts
16 upvotes
one thing to be aware of is that most businesses want your Credit Card address to be the same as your shipping address. You can add an address to your credit card, but it is a PITA to keep changing it every time you want to switch, and order something for home delivery.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5056 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
tdeem1 wrote:
May 19th, 2015 8:08 pm
one thing to be aware of is that most businesses want your Credit Card address to be the same as your shipping address. You can add an address to your credit card, but it is a PITA to keep changing it every time you want to switch, and order something for home delivery.
I've never had that issue yet. Bestbuy, Amazon.com, Amazon.ca don't require your cc info to match.

Bestbuy always processes my orders, and they don't even have the correct name. For Amazon.com I use Google's address for billing and never had any problems there. I guess it depends on the cc company.

Rogers just needs your cc number to sign up for pre-authorized billing.
Apr 13, 2010
329 posts
115 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
coriolis wrote:
It's interesting how the rates are by size/weight and not by price.
It makes sense if they're taking care of shipping it across the border.
Apr 13, 2010
329 posts
115 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
tdeem1 wrote:
May 19th, 2015 8:08 pm
one thing to be aware of is that most businesses want your Credit Card address to be the same as your shipping address.
I've rarely had a problem with that too. The odd time, but it's rare. When companies do verify the address with the credit card, they will usually allow you to specify a billing address different from the shipping address.
Mar 11, 2003
7 posts
1 upvote
I'm testing CBP currently. I placed a small order with Amazon.com on Monday 25 May and it was delivered to Niagara Falls NY on Wednesday 27 May at 6:57 am. CBP says it picks up packages from NF NY daily Monday to Friday and claims two-day delivery. I am waiting to hear from CBP and because, as I suspected, it is a new operation, I am prepared to give them some leeway. I'll report back what happens.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4247 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
May 19th, 2015 4:44 pm
Haven't tried these guys but a friend uses a UPS mailbox in Niagara, he recently made use of their new service which is exactly the same as this where they bring your packages to the GTA where you pick them up for a fee
How much does he pay for this service?

Is it on a per-package basis?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5150 posts
659 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Dinujan wrote:
May 19th, 2015 4:03 pm

Why is it too good to be true? There are other companies doing the same.

coriolis wrote:
I can guarantee that every package will incur taxes. How is "something off"?
RedFoxComp wrote:
May 19th, 2015 6:30 pm

They charge the delivery fee to their warehouse. Probably have a driver going across once a day with several packages. At minimum $4.99 a pop, I can see where it's worthwhile. They don't deliver it to your house for that price.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
May 31st, 2015 11:48 pm
How much does he pay for this service?

Is it on a per-package basis?
All of them are on a per package basis.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
8911 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
ajenkins wrote:
May 31st, 2015 10:41 pm
I'm testing CBP currently. I placed a small order with Amazon.com on Monday 25 May and it was delivered to Niagara Falls NY on Wednesday 27 May at 6:57 am. CBP says it picks up packages from NF NY daily Monday to Friday and claims two-day delivery. I am waiting to hear from CBP and because, as I suspected, it is a new operation, I am prepared to give them some leeway. I'll report back what happens.
yes, please update us with how their service is.. im interested in buying a few things