Tags:
None
Aug 8, 2005
436 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
theburner wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 12:57 pm
Hmmm, interesting (and shitty). I noticed on my last group of packages that they had all been opened and re-taped. There was no doubt as the Amazon branded tape was clearly cut. I had assumed that customs opened them up for inspection. When bringing packages across the border yourself I assume border agents will sometimes (always?) open packages for inspection. If they do that, do you have to re-tape them yourself? Do they re-tape and use a branded CBSA inspection tape?
I was impressed by these guys. Great service, great pricing, etc. Could get over the mediocre customer service if those two things were good.

Now a lot has changed in the last ~6 months.

1. Previously my boxes were always sealed. Maybe they opened a random one here or there, but not that I noticed. Last order was 6 boxes and EVERY one had been opened and re-sealed. I guess it was in the terms and conditions somewhere, but would have been nice if they said something and/or posted a note on their site saying "we now open all boxes". Just a customer service thing...
2. Still less than helpful. There used to be the weird guy at the front, now there are two people. But customer service is the same if not slightly worse!
3. Got a consolidated order ready in Buffalo for shipment to Toronto. On a Thursday. By next Wed, no notification that it was ready for pickup! Waited till Thurs (an entire WEEK!) and called. All I got was a "yeah, your stuff is here". No apology or nothing. Sent them an email on the Wed but it hadn't been responded to by Thurs. Crap customer service.
4. Sent a few packages to the US using their cross border service (they were items being returned). Sent them on a Sat and by the next Thurs, I called the vendor (since they should have been returned by then). UPS still didn't have the packages!!! They used to do 1 business day in either direction, now it seems like stuff might be sitting around for up to a week (or more!)

I can't wait a week for them to bring packages to Canada (or do it faster but take a week to tell me they're here) because they used to do it in a day (or 2 at most). Not that I'm in a rush, but if I know a package was in the US by Thu, I could always go on Sat and pick it up. Now I don't know that any more and might have to wait till the next Sat before I can go get it. That's pointless to me as I could just pay the extra few bucks and ship it to my house from the US using their slowest service.. it will probably get to me faster!

Also the return thing is unnerving. They missed my return window. I had 3 days to return the item (via overnight shipping) and by day 4 they still hadn't given it to UPS. Still waiting for it to arrive to see if the vendor is going to refuse the shipment or not. If they do, I'll be quite upset at CBP for taking a frickin week to hand a package to UPS!

I'll only use them for 'urgent' items now. Needed a tire last year that was backordered in Canada yet Tire Rack had it in stock. Got it in 3-4 days including CBP time. Not sure if I'd try that again, or just pay Tire Rack the extra bucks to ship to my house.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4639 posts
836 upvotes
Markham
Interesting developments that some of you guys are experiencing. May have to reconsider ever using these guys.... Maybe it's new ownership?

They shouldn't be opening packages in my opinion... Anyone know if CBP opens it they advise us with a note or something.

If you're turning stuff to the US, consider using Chit Chat (google it).... Don't use these services if time is super sensitive however.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 22, 2008
212 posts
22 upvotes
Anybody else order anything lately? Sounds like experiences haven't been so great as of late, opposite of how this company was first received. I created an account with them awhile back but still haven't made an purchases yet..planning to though.
Jul 25, 2009
75 posts
31 upvotes
@ BHA1: Kinda funny how you mentioned the "weird guy at the front." I always used to think the same thing when I went there to pick up parcels. He was pretty efficient about getting my parcels from the back, but he had zero social skills. I always used to wonder if he was also replying to customer service emails because once or twice I had to contact them about a shipment, and I'd only ever receive one sentence answers from them in response.

As for CBP opening parcels, they probably had a couple of bad experiences with customers misdescribing parcels or perhaps using the service to ship illegal stuff into Canada (weapons, etc). So long as they are registered as a legit bonder courier, they wouldn't be on the hook legally for this but I'm sure it would lead to delays at the border for them. It's not like they are Fed Ex with 1000's of trucks and aircraft crossing the border everyday. It's probably just one or two guys in a truck.
Apr 20, 2009
78 posts
Why are people surprised that their packages are opened?

DO YOU OPEN MY PACKAGE?

Opening the package to confirm the contents and getting them processed for transfer to Canada results in quicker pickup times. If you give us permission (using the Automatic Processing feature) and otherwise, we can open your package to expediting the details for Canadian customs declaration. We may also have to open the packages to provide the photos if requested.

We reserve the right to open packages to check contents of the package.

http://crossborderpickups.ca/faq/#14645 ... 2c92f-7e6a
Apr 11, 2017
1 posts
I used them for the first time ever for a chair delivery. In retrospect I probably should have tried them out with a less significant purchase first! But happily all went well. No surprises, exactly as described. Not overly friendly at the pick up desk, it's true, but really, who cares about that?!!
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the packages get opened. I mean, they're transporting them across the border, and presumably need to make sure they're not bringing over a suitcase full of cocaine!!
Anyway, I would certainly use them again, and recommend them to others.
Jul 7, 2006
94 posts
9 upvotes
toronto / thornhill
I have used CBP's services before, though I did get my goods delivered (eventually), they were VERY unprofessional and non responsive most of the time. I was given the run around for quite some time and still have lingering issues with them. I cannot recommend them at all unless you have the patience and drive to deal with such lack of customer service. If there are issues with them, its best to keep in contact with them and do not let any issues drop or you may begin to wonder what ever happened to your orders.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5958 posts
127 upvotes
vandal138 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:02 pm
I have used CBP's services before, though I did get my goods delivered (eventually), they were VERY unprofessional and non responsive most of the time. I was given the run around for quite some time and still have lingering issues with them. I cannot recommend them at all unless you have the patience and drive to deal with such lack of customer service. If there are issues with them, its best to keep in contact with them and do not let any issues drop or you may begin to wonder what ever happened to your orders.
what happened? They are not the fastest in terms of responding, but they do respond in a timely manner. Keep in mind the number of packages gets sent to them everyday, you can't expect them answer you within the hour. Did you email them or call them?
images are not permitted in sigs
Aug 8, 2005
436 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Wierd, they seem to have gotten better again for some random reason.

Since my previous post on Feb 2nd with a bunch of complaints (Opening all boxes when they didn't used to, weird guy at front, very slow emails & notifications, etc) I also noticed that they randomly started charging 6.1% duty on EVERY box, along with HST.

For one item, when they emailed asking what the value was, I provided a value PLUS an HS code (which specifically identified the item as having no duty at all). They must have to look up the HS code on their own, but it seems they ignored my HS code that I provided. They charged me 6.1% duty on a non-dutiable item. I let it go since it was just one item and amounted to less than $10 total in duty.

So now it seems they have improved. Packages received have an email sent out within 24 hours asking for the value, and at least this week once the value is provided they respond a few hours later saying the package is ready for shipment to Canada. I have had this process take as long as 3-5 days in the past.

Also seems that nothing at all has duty added any more. Thank god because it was just them adding 6.1% profit for sure. They were adding it on every single item. Someone must have complained to them!

Also finding that there is no duty OR HST on items under around $20. They seem to be charging just the package fee. Just got an item that was USD$16 and they listed it as $14 and didn't charge any duty or tax. I think any item USD$14 or less (which is $20 Cad) is not getting charged any duty or HST by CBP.

So starting to use them again. Weird Guy at the front is still creepy, although they have a girl working there who seems much better. Still not a lot of social skills but she is WAY better than he is.
May 31, 2008
459 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
EH
They are o.k.
Last time I dealt with them, they incorrectly applied duty, and the charge was off.
I emailed them and they adjusted it.
Just be careful.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1067 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
I have used them a couple times within the past few months. Very pleased. Beats driving to Niagara Falls from Toronto. Packages were not opened. Amazon doesn't include a paper copy of the invoice in the box so there is a slight delay in CBP emailing me for the receipt which I then send back. Never have been charged duties on items for which duty is not applicable.
Jul 28, 2017
1 posts
I was just wondering if anyone had their package shipped to them from their location in Mississauga to them rather than go there in person to pick it up? If so how much were you charged?
Jan 22, 2017
52 posts
14 upvotes
Did not quite like the service.
The front desk lady was quite rude, and they take almost a week to get your stuff here (from the time it is delivered to their US office).

I dont understand, how just doing logistics and bringing it across takes a week???
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4639 posts
836 upvotes
Markham
membrs wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:03 pm
Did not quite like the service.
The front desk lady was quite rude, and they take almost a week to get your stuff here (from the time it is delivered to their US office).

I dont understand, how just doing logistics and bringing it across takes a week???
Financial reasons and just timing are likely reason for taking a week...if you missed the "transfer date" you have to wait for the next one. If they received your stuff just before transfer date, you get it quick. If the "run" the packages more frequently, they'd have to charge more....it's their business practice.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!