• Dec 8th, 2017 5:32 am
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2017
54 posts
14 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:46 am
Financial reasons and just timing are likely reason for taking a week...if you missed the "transfer date" you have to wait for the next one. If they received your stuff just before transfer date, you get it quick. If the "run" the packages more frequently, they'd have to charge more....it's their business practice.
And how do you explain the rudeness of the workers.
Is that also a part of their business practice?
Apr 28, 2010
44 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
" I've gotten around 75 parcels delivered to NYAddress and in last two years and several hundred to CBI with no problems from anyone ( but no specific costco or bestbuy items - one from Frys ). I suspect it has to do with using anything perceived to be a P.O. Box number as lots of places won't touch those.

I will be trying out Cross Border Pickups for the first time next week with one parcel from Amazon and one from Ken's fish - I will report back how it stacks up cost wise ( bearing in mind it will be about 2 hours travel instead of 6 for me roundtrip. )"

Here was the results of my test shipments. Note that I live in South Pickering so I have to cross the city on the 401 to get to the airport or to drive to Niagara Falls - getting through the city itself is always the worse part of the trip in one direction or the other.

My first two shipments were consolidated - they were small parcels - part duty free - I paid about 9.00 for the package plus about $14 each in taxes - altogether just $35.60

The second set of shipments was from ebay and from gowise. They were not consolidated. Each parcel was worth $90.00 US - I paid $9.00 for one and $15.00 for the other as parcel fees and $15.00 + in taxes each - total $58.70. The gowise parcel weighed 14 lbs
and was 15 X 13 X 13 inches. I really considered that parcel to be an excessive charge for the size involved. The travel time was 2 1/2 hours as there was a traffic jam coming back. Figure the whole thing as $94.30 in charges I paid for 4 parcels. Shipping in the US on all 4 of them was included in the price.

ANALYSIS

Had I went to NYaddress for the 4 items they would have charged me $3 X 4 for the parcels ( about $15 Can ) and another $5 to cross the bridge - and figure 6 hours travel time and about $24 more for gas - partly offset by the gas I buy in NY cheaper and a few groceries not available in Canada I buy at walmart. So my cash costs would be $44.00. I always declare properly so if the border guy dinged me for HST it would be for around $36.00 CAN on a value of $278.00 US- so worse case scenario around $80 total. At that level you have about a 50 /50 chance of customs not bothering with you though.

Conclusions
1/ If you have small infrequent shipments of low cost goods cross border may be a better choice.
2/ However if your parcels are high value, heavy, bulky, or frequent you will pay high for the convenience of cross border.
3/ If you are picking up more than 2 parcels at a time you are probably better off with NY address. ( most of the time I pick up 6 to 10 parcels at once which is why customs usually dings me. )
4/ The worst part of the trip is always the 401 through the city whichever place you go.
5/ If you get a lot of parcels ( 60 per year or more ) also consider the CBI Option #2: Annual Membership plan – $108 USD with unlimited $1.80 per package for 12 months - 60 parcels is where CBI and NYA is the break even point. The year I had the CBI plan I got over
300 shipments altogether there.

Putting my money where my mouth is:
I picked up those last two parcels at cross border Friday afternoon. This morning I ordered two more parcels to be shipped to NYaddress - value - about $100 US each.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
1957 posts
176 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I sent 2 orders to CBP for the first time this week. One arrived Wednesday morning and the second on Thursday afternoon. The first package I received the email by early afternoon and responded with the information immediately. It still shows as "pending details" when I login to my account. Is it normal for that step to take so long? It seems odd to me that it is a manual process done via email as opposed to me doing it through my account. I'm hoping the status on these change soon as ideally I'd like to have them released to Mississauga for pickup in the coming week.
Apr 28, 2010
44 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
Chicoquente and other interested parties

My experience on all 4 parcels was
1/ First email asks for value in US dollars and description and origin of goods.
2/ Second email - next business day is - approve taxes / duty amount - (usually 13% ) and do you want to consolidate or ship alone.
3/ Third email one or two business days later - your parcel is ready in Mississauga - owe taxes / duty amount plus package charge and HST on it.

I tried telling them in the first email answer that I approve whatever the tax / duty was and consolidate or not - but they ignored answer and sent second email anyway.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2166 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Lulaahmed wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 2:49 pm
I was just wondering if anyone had their package shipped to them from their location in Mississauga to them rather than go there in person to pick it up? If so how much were you charged?
I would like to know the same - seems everyone is picking them up in Mississauga.

How are the rates to ship from Mississauga to your home?

Any duties at the door?
Mar 30, 2017
196 posts
45 upvotes
I have used Crossborder pick ups many times. They are very good only downside is their location in Misissisauga. If you live in DT Toronto, it takes a while to drive there during rush hour traffic as they close by 7. If the package is over 20 dollars worth, be prepared for 10 dollars and above for duty and other addded charges. You cant lie about the value because they actually open the packages and for some reasons will still ask you what the value is. So do not tell the seller to not include any invoce or value, because if you do, dumbas sellers will print the same as invoice and put it inside the box. The crossborder pickup guys will just read that. lol horrible situation to be in. That aside, they are extremely good and professional. I had zero issues with them/
Oct 16, 2014
49 posts
5 upvotes
Timmins, ON
any of these reshippers offer a way to circumnavigate paying duty? Mymallbox was good for that but they've proven to be progressively worse in the past few months with missing parcels.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1077 posts
453 upvotes
A question to the people who have already used the service, about the address they give.
It's in the format of:
Unit No XXXXX
XXXX Maryland Ave
Niagara Falls, NY, 14305 USA

Is the unit number same for everyone. Also when you order something on Amazon, it expects you to provide a full name as well. Do you give your own name, or that of CBP.
So does the address you give to Amazon look like this?

Mr. John Doe
Unit No XXXXX
XXXX Maryland Ave

Also, Amazon asks for a phone number. Whose number do you give?
And a final question. Do you need to notify CBP before you order on Amazon? How do they identify the package is yours when they receive it from Amazon? By name, or by Unit Number (if that is unique for everyone, which I don't think is the case).
Jul 21, 2008
387 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
IndyBeak wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:20 pm
A question to the people who have already used the service, about the address they give.
It's in the format of:
Unit No XXXXX
XXXX Maryland Ave

Is the unit number same for everyone. Also when you order something on Amazon, it expects you to provide a full name as well. Do you give your own name, or that of CBP.
So does the address you give to Amazon look like this?

Mr. John Doe
Unit No XXXXX
XXXX Maryland Ave

Also, Amazon asks for a phone number. Whose number do you give?
And a final question. Do you need to notify CBP before you order on Amazon? How do they identify the package is yours when they receive it from Amazon? By name, or by Unit Number (if that is unique for everyone, which I don't think is the case).
The unit is different for everyone, everything else in that address is the same. When you order something form Amazon, you should use the same name you used to sign up with CBP, which is hopefully the same name on your ID in case they need to verify. Here is an example of the address you give to amazon:

Mr. Real Name
Unit No 2222
1823 Maryland Ave

I don't know what other people do, but I put my own personal phone number down for Amazon.
You don't need to notify CBP about an incoming parcel/package, they will notify you when they have received it. They identify the package using the name and address you gave the company that has shipped your item. It should be the same one that CBP has on record, which is the same that they gave you when you signed up. They basically go by name and unit number since the rest of the information is the same (14035, USA, etc).

I hope this helps. I've used them for over 100 orders over the past 4 years and have had nothing but good experiences.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1077 posts
453 upvotes
Slono wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:46 pm
The unit is different for everyone, everything else in that address is the same. When you order something form Amazon, you should use the same name you used to sign up with CBP, which is hopefully the same name on your ID in case they need to verify. Here is an example of the address you give to amazon:

Mr. Real Name
Unit No 2222
1823 Maryland Ave

I don't know what other people do, but I put my own personal phone number down for Amazon.
You don't need to notify CBP about an incoming parcel/package, they will notify you when they have received it. They identify the package using the name and address you gave the company that has shipped your item. It should be the same one that CBP has on record, which is the same that they gave you when you signed up. They basically go by name and unit number since the rest of the information is the same (14035, USA, etc).

I hope this helps. I've used them for over 100 orders over the past 4 years and have had nothing but good experiences.
Perfect. Thanks. I had also dropped their customer support a note and they replied the same.
Nov 15, 2007
111 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I just used CBP for the first time. I was looking for a Sharp air purifier, and the thing was basically $400 less in the US than it was here in Canada after you do the conversion and taxes etc. I had it shipped through Amazon using the 2 day free Prime shipping deal... and then cancelled the Prime membership.

Turnaround time between CBP receiving the package at the NY address and it coming into their Mississauga location took exactly 1 week. Throughout the process, I received emails asking about the contents of my items, and if I wanted to ship immediately across the border immediately, or wait until other packages arrived. I even called them today prior to the last email coming in, and the person on the phone was polite and helpful, and mentioned that he remembered my package coming in and it was ready for pick up.

I went to their drop off center, and the two gentleman working there were very professional, and friendly. I even told the gentleman who cashed me out, that because of them, they saved me $400. I'm definitely going to be ordering things from the US again, and having CBP do the rest. Highly recommended!
Aug 27, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
karyuudo wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 8:58 pm
I just used CBP for the first time. I was looking for a Sharp air purifier, and the thing was basically $400 less in the US than it was here in Canada after you do the conversion and taxes etc. I had it shipped through Amazon using the 2 day free Prime shipping deal... and then cancelled the Prime membership.

Turnaround time between CBP receiving the package at the NY address and it coming into their Mississauga location took exactly 1 week. Throughout the process, I received emails asking about the contents of my items, and if I wanted to ship immediately across the border immediately, or wait until other packages arrived. I even called them today prior to the last email coming in, and the person on the phone was polite and helpful, and mentioned that he remembered my package coming in and it was ready for pick up.

I went to their drop off center, and the two gentleman working there were very professional, and friendly. I even told the gentleman who cashed me out, that because of them, they saved me $400. I'm definitely going to be ordering things from the US again, and having CBP do the rest. Highly recommended!
How long did it take for them to scan in the item online?

I've been waiting 3 days and I KNOW that they didn't mess up the label (seller) since I've had stuff before and the format was correct.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1418 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious, what forms of payment do they take at CBP when you pick up your package from them? I thought I read cash only on their website, but I could be wrong.
Jul 21, 2008
387 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
tawpkek wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:46 am
How long did it take for them to scan in the item online?

I've been waiting 3 days and I KNOW that they didn't mess up the label (seller) since I've had stuff before and the format was correct.
Sometimes it takes several days. In the early days of CBP processing times would be a lot quicker but they've grown a lot so it takes longer now. I don't recommend CBP if you need something in a timely manner, I've learned that the hard way with a couple time sensitive packages. Look for other methods of shipment direct from the seller instead.