• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2018 12:48 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
*edit* The small issues were fixed. Can fully recommend them!

Other than that they are pretty good
Mar 19, 2015
27 posts
25 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I contact via contact us to ask them regarding the rates posted on the website if it is CDN ?

It is been two days and no response ?
Apr 28, 2010
64 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
Everything they will charge you will be in Canadian dollars.
Dec 15, 2016
2 posts
I haven't read all 13 pages. Amazon send your package to CBP's Niagara office. Is CBP a PO box? I ask because Amazon states they don't send to PO boxes.
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
DerekSitouDien wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:56 pm
I haven't read all 13 pages. Amazon send your package to CBP's Niagara office. Is CBP a PO box? I ask because Amazon states they don't send to PO boxes.
No. PO boxes are ONLY sold by the post office anyways.
Dec 30, 2013
181 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
When using this service do you claim actual paid value or lower value when they ask?
Oct 3, 2007
131 posts
80 upvotes
Just used this service for the first time.

Ordered some stuff from costco.com. it was delivered in the evening. Early the next morning I had received an email asking for value of goods and they provided estimated tax/duty. Also had to indicate whether I wanted them to bring it across the border or have them hold it to consolidate with other packages. The next evening I had an email indicating it was ready for pick up at their warehouse in Mississauga.

All in all it was about a week and a half between my order date and when I picked up. I ordered just before American Thanksgiving so there was an additional delay in shipping due to the holiday.

Tips:
Have your unit number when picking up
Pay cash at pick up to avoid additional fees
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5940 posts
3538 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
AkaTdog wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:55 pm
When using this service do you claim actual paid value or lower value when they ask?
If they are going to PUSH it across the border for you into Canada... then you need to BE TRUTHFUL about the value / what you paid for the goods, for the Customs Declaration.

To not do so is a Customs Offense... and not only could your goods be delayed or confiscated... but a fine for a False Declaration could be levied against you (most are over $ 1000 for the first offense and go up from there)

Plus, it could very well screw up your own position with Customs (both Canada CBSA & US CBP) where you’d be red flagged in the data base as someone who does not tell the truth.

It messes up both your ability to import goods as well as travel.

And trust me, you don’t want that.

Duties & Taxes owed are never as much as people fear them to be... actually quite inexpensive.
CBSA Duties & Taxes Estimator = https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html

It is typically the cost of Shipping & Brokerage (someone acting on your behalf) that is the costly bit to importing goods in Canada from elsewhere
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6229 posts
1380 upvotes
Hi guys, I was hoping to use crossborderpickup (CBP) for the first time in a week or two.

I plan on ordering one small item worth ~$80 USD (~$100 CAD currently) that should be duty-free on import into Canada.

Can someone explain to me exactly what the steps are? Will CBP allow me to declare $0 for duties and only the Ontario taxes applicable to the Canadian value of ~$100 CAD, plus CBP processing fee? Or will CBP automatically apply some default duty?
Dec 27, 2002
496 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
peanutz wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 9:37 pm
Hi guys, I was hoping to use crossborderpickup (CBP) for the first time in a week or two.

I plan on ordering one small item worth ~$80 USD (~$100 CAD currently) that should be duty-free on import into Canada.

Can someone explain to me exactly what the steps are? Will CBP allow me to declare $0 for duties and only the Ontario taxes applicable to the Canadian value of ~$100 CAD, plus CBP processing fee? Or will CBP automatically apply some default duty?
Main steps:
1) register and get a mailbox.
2) buy item and ship to that mailbox.
3) cbp will contact you with pricing, duties, etc.
4) you approve; only then will they ship the package. You can email them if there's a discrepancy.

I've shipped a few packages and got charged duty only some of the time (as i expected). They won't file any special paperwork for you, but if it's duty free and clear (e.g. the "made in XXX country" is clear if that's the duty free criteria), you should be ok.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5589 posts
1237 upvotes
Markham
Off topic question but if one has an American friend/family member....

when they send you a package via USPS do you still have to pay taxes/duties?
Is USPS the cheapest way to send a package to Canada?
or is there a $ limit which allows you to bypass taxes/duties.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sep 30, 2015
236 posts
221 upvotes
East York, ON
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:33 am

-Yes, but sometimes packages get waived through.
-Yes.
-$20 / $60 if declared as a gift.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5940 posts
3538 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:33 am

Gallifrey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:37 am
-Yes, but sometimes packages get waived through.
-Yes.
-$20 / $60 if declared as a gift.
Correct.

Here is the link from CBSA
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/cour ... u-eng.html

PS... I used to work for Customs many years ago.
Items declared as Gifts are tracked. So that is something to consider carefully.
(Ie too many Gifts and you are going to get “flagged” as person / importer of Interest... and you don’t want to be flagged by Customs)

With all these cross border mail & parcel drops popping up both sides of the border that is now for many the easiest way to handle items ordered from / bought in the USA. Many of the US ones offer long term HOLDS for peanuts (so you can just pick it up when it suits, or the next time you are in the USA visiting, and make it part of your Personal Exemption). Some places even PUSH the items north for a cost (such as the one in this topic)
Oct 17, 2017
257 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 4:25 pm
Items declared as Gifts are tracked. So that is something to consider carefully.
(Ie too many Gifts and you are going to get “flagged” as person / importer of Interest... and you don’t want to be flagged by Customs)
It may not be the same now compare to years ago, because there was no hugely developed eCommerce then. Now most Chinese sellers declare their small items as gifts in CN22 despite buyers never asked for that. Many of these items are below $20 threshold anyway, so there is no meaning for Gift mark. As well, the $20/60 threshold is well below any reasonable cut point, and was abandoned in border crossing years ago, still valid only for mail items, which doesn't make sense either. Why limit $20 for mail, despite $800 at crossing? Under these conditions, I highly doubt anyone tracks gifts any longer for any meaningful purpose, as CPC often passes through without taxing items declared at higher price, and the deminimus was unofficially kept at $100 threshold for 10 last years based on CBSA processing costs, except the last couple of years when Trump started renegotiating NAFTA, and CBSA pushed for more $20 enforcement as a bargaining lever. The only entities obsessed with $20 limit are large couriers like UPS and FedEx due to overcharging on clearance fees.