Anyone try CrossBorderPickup?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 10:40 am
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2016
23 posts
12 upvotes
Any of these operators in the GVRD area. I hate the border hassle in Blaine each time. Especially for small orders.
Jul 3, 2007
208 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
pantherlite wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 5:35 pm
What I meant was that I didn't see an option to pick the pick up location, and only saw the options for consolidation. Sorry for the confusion.
For those of you who have a CBP account, you can edit your profile to specify to have the packages shipped to Markham instead of Mississauaga.
It is not intuitive as when you view your profile it doesn’t show a default location. However if you click to Edit it, then there is a field for delivery location

After editing my profile, I had a package sent and it went to the Markham location without me specifying it during the process

edyee
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3005 posts
648 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey guys, question for you. I am looking at buying a used Seiko watch from the watchuseek forums. it's about $200 and I plan on declaring the purchase value.

The one thing I don't understand is, that the watch in new retail condition costs a few hundred $ more. Is it possible that it gets opened and assessed based on the new retail value instead? Would I have to prove that what I declared is what I paid for it? I don't want to get flagged somehow.

Also, Seiko watches are made in Japan and should not be subject to NAFTA duties...how is this point declared?
Apr 13, 2010
461 posts
186 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
Tig wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:03 am
Is it possible that it gets opened and assessed based on the new retail value instead? Would I have to prove that what I declared is what I paid for it?
Tax and duty are based on what you paid. So yes, you need to show proof of payment.
Tig wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:03 am
Also, Seiko watches are made in Japan and should not be subject to NAFTA duties...
NAFTA means there are no duties for North-American-made products. The fact it came from Japan means you might have to pay duty on top of HST. According to the CBSA Duty Calculator, you would pay $37.30 in HST + duty (Category: Jewellery, Product: Watches).

But they might let it go.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3005 posts
648 upvotes
Mississauga
cybersaga wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:30 am
Tax and duty are based on what you paid. So yes, you need to show proof of payment.

NAFTA means there are no duties for North-American-made products. The fact it came from Japan means you might have to pay duty on top of HST. According to the CBSA Duty Calculator, you would pay $37.30 in HST + duty (Category: Jewellery, Product: Watches).

But they might let it go.
Got it. Thank you. Yes, you're right, I had NAFTA backwards.
Nov 19, 2016
22 posts
3 upvotes
I use these guys and they're absolutely wonderful to deal with and their fees are very reasonable. Once your package is at the border they send you and email to confirm the value. Once confirmed it takes them 1 day to ship it to the pickup location whether it's Markham or Mississauga.

The Markham location is very convenient as it's right by 14 and Warden.

A painless process for sellers who don't ship or charge insane amounts to ship to Canada. Remember for tires and wheel, you will only be charged 6% for customs and then their fee. So it's worth shopping in the states for tires too.
Jul 15, 2009
30 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
brokeadult wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 10:03 am
I use these guys and they're absolutely wonderful to deal with and their fees are very reasonable. Once your package is at the border they send you and email to confirm the value. Once confirmed it takes them 1 day to ship it to the pickup location whether it's Markham or Mississauga.

The Markham location is very convenient as it's right by 14 and Warden.

A painless process for sellers who don't ship or charge insane amounts to ship to Canada. Remember for tires and wheel, you will only be charged 6% for customs and then their fee. So it's worth shopping in the states for tires too.
You are lucky to have your package shipped to the Markham/Mississauga pickup location 1 day after you have confirmed the value. My package has been "In Transit to Canada" since Friday, September 21. This is the first time that I'm using CBP, but it gives me impression that their shipping time varies and is quite slow in my case.
Nov 19, 2016
22 posts
3 upvotes
Perhaps give them a call or email, they’re very quick to respond.

Did you order a large package?

Either way I hope everything works out for you.
May 1, 2018
410 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver
User452441 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 6:59 pm
Any of these operators in the GVRD area. I hate the border hassle in Blaine each time. Especially for small orders.
If you don't want to deal with the Blaine traffic, head on over to Point Roberts just south of Tsawwassen. If you don't mind paying $3.75 USD per small parcel package below 20lbs, then head on to In Out Parcel. If your package is small enough, it'll be in a locker where they'll give you a PIN to open it. It's 24/7 and you can go anytime. Point Roberts also has very low volume of traffic and those who go to Point Roberts are either picking up a package or filling up gas.

https://inoutparcel.com

Before I got NEXUS, I used to go to these guys all the time. Now that I have NEXUS, I go to Blaine to 5dpackages which is $2 USD a parcel.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Here's my experience. Bought a $50 jacket off Ebay, which translates to $23 in duties. Sure, I knew they don't deal with customs at all.

Then CBP requires a $10 fee for CBSA documents, which I need to make a refund request. At this point it's pretty clear I won't be using their service again, but I guess it's me who wanted to give them a try. Oh, there's also another $23 for shipping within Canada.

Back to driving across the border and waiting until I have multiple items in the warehouse. Literally anything would have been cheaper than this.
Jan 5, 2007
230 posts
80 upvotes
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 1:50 am
Here's my experience. Bought a $50 jacket off Ebay, which translates to $23 in duties. Sure, I knew they don't deal with customs at all.

Then CBP requires a $10 fee for CBSA documents, which I need to make a refund request. At this point it's pretty clear I won't be using their service again, but I guess it's me who wanted to give them a try. Oh, there's also another $23 for shipping within Canada.

Back to driving across the border and waiting until I have multiple items in the warehouse. Literally anything would have been cheaper than this.
Clothing has extra duties on it on top of HST. And CBP has to submit their documents when they cross back over the border. Report your items or the CBSA will make your life a hassle every time you cross. As CBP is a business several years running I would think that they do things properly like deal with customs as required.

I don't usually get the CBSA document. Can't you just use your email receipt and the same CBP address?

So you elected to ship the items instead of picking them up. Shipping costs money. Especially in Canada. $23 would be about right for shipping something within Ontario.

So the service isn't for you. If you are trying to stay as cheap as possible you need to do the math. Everything you listed are set costs. Sure, driving over the border and wearing/smuggling your new jacket could seem cheaper but even if you don't have anything better to do it's going to cost you time and gas. This service isn't free. It's a business that has to follow laws and has set costs. And I think their pricing is quite fair.

I use CBP when I need something that I can't get in Canada or when shipping is too high or the price difference is significant enough. For example, ordering material for my business the shipping is very expensive since the supplier only wants to ship FedEx International Priority with some slower methods that are only slightly cheaper (~$150USD on ~$250USD material). I'll still have tax and duties on top of that. So basically I'll save a bit on shipping even after I pay the CBP service fees. That supplier offers to ship material cut to size so it's usually about 20" x 24". Now try to order from a supplier that will only sell 4' x 8' sheets. I've done this, there was basically no alternative than CBP. I paid extra to have the supplier precut it so I could load it into my car once it got here but it went to CBP on a double skid. I could have ordered a truck for pickup and delivery or I could have spent a few days in a truck trying to get it here. Both would have been much more expensive. Not to mention the paperwork.

You won't save money if using this service for small/inexpensive items and you need to do your own calculations. CBP has made my business easier from both the receiving side and the shipping side (I use their shipping service to save money shipping out packages).
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Also my experience:

Sent an email last Friday for a simple request, no response. Facebook messages (and they claim they will get back within on business day), nothing. Phone calls, no one answers them.

The package must have crossed the border on Monday, if not last Friday, and yet it hasn't been (re-)shipped.

For a company dedicated to shipping things fast (their own words), this is disappointing.
Last edited by nidixicuc on Oct 24th, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
So does anyone have other suggestions? CBP won't handle ANYTHING customs related, which makes it more expensive than literally anything else.
Jan 5, 2007
230 posts
80 upvotes
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 8:46 pm
So does anyone have other suggestions? CBP won't handle ANYTHING customs related, which makes it more expensive than literally anything else.
Define "customs related", in your mind what are they supposed to do? If they are more expensive than "literally anything else", then you are making it seem like you know all the other options. So why are you asking? Seems a bit trollish.

I'd like to know if there are similar services local to GTA without driving over the border but haven't heard of any. Maybe there was mention of some earlier on the thread but I believe those were mail box services. In theory (never had to use one) a mail box service would still need to charge you shipping fees and they would still need to declare what is inside the package. So you're still going to have HST and added duties (averaging 17.5% on clothing from a quick Google).

So what are the other options? A cost breakdown would be nice too but given you didn't even acknowledge my previous response ...

Yes, they are a bit slow to respond to emails. My average has been about 48hrs but they have always responded. When I've been there during business hours they were picking up the phone but I haven't had to call them. I prefer to email.