Anyone try CrossBorderPickup?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 10:40 am
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Even for some extreme Ebay sellers who charge > $40 (USD) for shipping to Canada, that works out to be cheaper than CBP.

Clothes are exempt for duties if made in US (NAFTA) or Europe (CETA). Good for you if you buy clothing that's from a different country; I don't really care. Fedex/UPS/DHL can deal with customs and either give me CBSA docs for free, although I never had to pay anything other than sales tax and handling fee ($10, can be waived).

CBP ignores all that and charges duties/taxes on the reported price of the package -- for speed, supposedly, which is amazing, because if they don't ship my box tomorrow that means they require a whole week to re-ship a box from their warehouse.
Last edited by nidixicuc on Oct 24th, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 9:29 pm
do they only handle duty-free shipments?
They don't handle anything -- they take the value on the package and just charge all the duties and taxes (mind you, my package was coming from US, with a jacket made in US).

Well, actually, they might. Although I would never know because they don't respond to my emails, Facebook messages, or phone calls.

Edit:

Oh, so someone finally messaged me back on Facebook: How can we help you? Call Customer Service

I guess no one bothered to read my messages since last week. Cool.
Jan 5, 2007
230 posts
80 upvotes
Usually you have to confirm details like country of origin and value before it comes over the border. Did you confirm origin as USA? Also, $15 for a large package + $7 HST = $22 which is close to your $23 that you mentioned. Are you sure that the amount charged included duties?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1071 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 11:13 pm
They don't handle anything -- they take the value on the package and just charge all the duties and taxes (mind you, my package was coming from US, with a jacket made in US).

Well, actually, they might. Although I would never know because they don't respond to my emails, Facebook messages, or phone calls.

Edit:

Oh, so someone finally messaged me back on Facebook: How can we help you? Call Customer Service

I guess no one bothered to read my messages since last week. Cool.

hmmmmm...sounds like whoever pay them are simply idiots
Jan 5, 2007
230 posts
80 upvotes
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 10:59 am
I think you called almost everyone in the thread an idiot. The guy bought a $50 eBay jacket and CBP is in the business of bringing over the jacket by truck (taxes and CBP fees = $$) and the OP elected to have the package reshipped to his home (more $$).

I'm still wondering about the duties as CBP will confirm with you what the item is, country of origin and value. They also tell you the size and weight of the package. They have set categories, etc for what type of item it is and this seems to match whatever categories there are for the CBSA. So I would think that if he confirmed the right details, he shouldn't have been taxed the additional duties.

This service is best for multiple items of higher value, where the seller won't ship to Canada, where the shipping rates are absurdly expensive or a combination of the above. There are discounted rates for more than one package if they are brought over together. So you need to do your math. $50 is not a high enough value as it would be difficult to get a discount that would surpass the fees involved. He ordered one item and got it brought over. He had it reshipped from Canada ...

I'm sure there are affordable shipping forwarders out there that ship directly from the USA. That's not what CBP was meant to do. You should be picking up your item yourself from a GTA location if you are trying to save money. If you ever try to ship anything you'll quickly realize how expensive it is in Canada.

Quick math to see if you will save money: value of item + 13% tax + duties (if applicable) + CBP package size fee (discounted rate for 2 or more packages brought over together) must be < total when shipping the same item to your GTA address. If outside the GTA or reshipping you will need to add those costs.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
So it's day 7, and my package is yet to be shipped. I wonder if I would call CBP a shipping company anymore. And CS has no idea about what's going on, quite literally.

It's quite clear at this point that if I did pay 40 USD to USPS, I would have received it faster, which is an interesting thought. Maybe even cheaper! Because I paid $23 for shipping, and without disclosing the exact amount (because someone here seems to be overly interested), I paid more than that for duties and taxes.
Last edited by nidixicuc on Oct 27th, 2018 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Dex wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 4:39 am
Usually you have to confirm details like country of origin and value before it comes over the border. Did you confirm origin as USA? Also, $15 for a large package + $7 HST = $22 which is close to your $23 that you mentioned. Are you sure that the amount charged included duties?
Did you ever use CBP? All they do is take CBSA calculator (here) and charge the full amount, no matter where the item is from.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Anyways, I gave them a try and this is my experience. I don't even use RFD, but this seems to be the only relevant thread I could find. Good luck to anyone who wants to given them a try next. Fingers crossed CBP will eventually ship my jacket.
Nov 4, 2011
431 posts
257 upvotes
YYZ
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 1:27 am
So it's day 7, and my package is yet to be shipped. I wonder if I would call CBP a shipping company anymore. And CS has no idea about what's going on, quite literally.
Part of it may be due to Canada Post. With the shutdown in the GTA for Tuesday and Wednesday, they're really backed up. I dropped something off on Tuesday night and there's been no movement on the tracking information since then. To add to the confusion, my area in the GTA isn't on strike for some reason, we've been getting mail everyday and I saw the trucks on the road during the shutdown, so pickups should have occurred in the timeframe from my post office.

In any case, it's unfortunate that it's taking so long. I did a package where they received it on September 25th, I paid on Oct 3rd and I got it on October 10th. I'm in the GTA and this was pre strike so it's not always the fastest method.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
Dex wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 11:39 am
I think you called almost everyone in the thread an idiot. The guy bought a $50 eBay jacket and CBP is in the business of bringing over the jacket by truck (taxes and CBP fees = $$) and the OP elected to have the package reshipped to his home (more $$).

I'm still wondering about the duties as CBP will confirm with you what the item is, country of origin and value. They also tell you the size and weight of the package. They have set categories, etc for what type of item it is and this seems to match whatever categories there are for the CBSA. So I would think that if he confirmed the right details, he shouldn't have been taxed the additional duties.

This service is best for multiple items of higher value, where the seller won't ship to Canada, where the shipping rates are absurdly expensive or a combination of the above. There are discounted rates for more than one package if they are brought over together. So you need to do your math. $50 is not a high enough value as it would be difficult to get a discount that would surpass the fees involved. He ordered one item and got it brought over. He had it reshipped from Canada ...

I'm sure there are affordable shipping forwarders out there that ship directly from the USA. That's not what CBP was meant to do. You should be picking up your item yourself from a GTA location if you are trying to save money. If you ever try to ship anything you'll quickly realize how expensive it is in Canada.

Quick math to see if you will save money: value of item + 13% tax + duties (if applicable) + CBP package size fee (discounted rate for 2 or more packages brought over together) must be < total when shipping the same item to your GTA address. If outside the GTA or reshipping you will need to add those costs.
You know what? My day is worth a lot more than $23 I paid for (re-)shipping. And I did not need to pay for duties if CBP handled customs properly, which it did not.

So in the end, I don't know why CBP is calling itself a cross-border shipping company. It doesn't handle customs, and it doesn't ship packages. And for sure it does not have customer service.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 1:51 am
Part of it may be due to Canada Post. With the shutdown in the GTA for Tuesday and Wednesday, they're really backed up. I dropped something off on Tuesday night and there's been no movement on the tracking information since then. To add to the confusion, my area in the GTA isn't on strike for some reason, we've been getting mail everyday and I saw the trucks on the road during the shutdown, so pickups should have occurred in the timeframe from my post office.

In any case, it's unfortunate that it's taking so long. I did a package where they received it on September 25th, I paid on Oct 3rd and I got it on October 10th. I'm in the GTA and this was pre strike so it's not always the fastest method.
Yeah I know. But what was my package doing three days before the strike, then two days after (and logically over the weekend)?

Still, doesn't mean that CBP customer service went on strike -- though I have yet to have any meaningful interactions with anyone from CBP.
Last edited by nidixicuc on Oct 27th, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 4, 2011
431 posts
257 upvotes
YYZ
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 10:59 am
There's times when they serve their purpose. I did a bit of shopping on Amazon for stuff that was on deep discount due to clearance. Amazon wanted a significant amount to ship it to Canada whereas CBP was significantly cheaper since their "shipping" costs would be much lower due to the size of the items and the taxes they charge are about the same as Amazon.

Sure, I could have driven to the US to pick it up, but for 4+ hours of my life, I'll pay for the convenience of them. And no, I wasn't going to buy from another retailer since Amazon's pricing was significantly lower by a lot.
Nov 4, 2011
431 posts
257 upvotes
YYZ
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 1:53 am
Yeah I know. But what was my package doing three days before the strike, then two days after (and logically over the weekend)?

Still, doesn't mean that CBP customer service went on strike, as I have yet to have any meaningful interactions with anyone from CBP.
I don't think they bring packages to Canada everyday, but rather based on volume. So it's likely it may have sat waiting for a trip to Canada for a few days, the brought here and then sat before they shipped it out. I had that issue where it showed as ready for pickup for a few days before they did ship it out. Not sure why, but since I wasn't in a rush I didn't bother.

And 2 days after the strike is very likely to be a CP backlog if they did ship it out already. Again, my package I shipped during the strike has had no movement from the post office and it's been 3 full days, 2 of which had no strike action in the GTA.

I do find their CS a bit lacking, I contacted them about an issue but never heard back. I did get in touch with them regarding a dead link and we had a pretty rapid email conversation which was nice to get resolved so quickly.
Oct 22, 2018
16 posts
2 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 2:03 am
I don't think they bring packages to Canada everyday, but rather based on volume. So it's likely it may have sat waiting for a trip to Canada for a few days, the brought here and then sat before they shipped it out. I had that issue where it showed as ready for pickup for a few days before they did ship it out. Not sure why, but since I wasn't in a rush I didn't bother.

And 2 days after the strike is very likely to be a CP backlog if they did ship it out already. Again, my package I shipped during the strike has had no movement from the post office and it's been 3 full days, 2 of which had no strike action in the GTA.

I do find their CS a bit lacking, I contacted them about an issue but never heard back. I did get in touch with them regarding a dead link and we had a pretty rapid email conversation which was nice to get resolved so quickly.
It was 'available for pickup' last Friday. So three business days. Still no shipping label, no emails, nothing. I am not in a rush, but to think that I could have paid 40 USD to USPS and have a much better experience is rather exhausting. To be fair, I am the idiot who wanted to give them a try.
Nov 4, 2011
431 posts
257 upvotes
YYZ
nidixicuc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 2:06 am
It was 'available for pickup' last Friday. So three days alright. Still no shipping label, no emails, nothing. I am not in a rush, but to think that I could have paid 40 USD to USPS and have a much better experience is rather exhausting. To be fair, I am the idiot who wanted to give them a try.
Okay, from that it sounds like it's in Canada then. Not too sure why it's taking them that long to ship it out, but I didn't get updates on my last shipment until after it was in transit.

I don't necessarily agree using USPS would have been better. With customs delays and Canada Post, CBP might be faster in the end, especially since you said you're not in a rush.

I can't help you with the fees, shipping to your home is where they really get you since CP charges around $10 at minimum for a Canadian shipment so they're in line with what I would pay for a shipment. And I don't take the document soft copies, I just assume there's no real way to return items to the US since I would need to go back to the US or ship it back which is going to be another $15 at minimum.

If your jacket was made in the US, you shouldn't have had to paid duties, but just sales tax. If they didn't get the country of origin correct, you should have had them correct it. I just did a shipment with some US made food items totaling $40 USD and paid $6 in HST and $0 in duties.

Your jacket should have worked out to $0 in duties, $8 in HST (assuming Ontario), the $10 you paid for the documents plus $21-ish for the mailing charges. I wouldn't have taken the docs since if you were to refund the jacket, you would have recovered $8 but still paid $10 for the document, leaving you at -$2.

Let this be a lesson learned I guess. I know I quickly learned to pickup my items rather than get them shipped, although part of it is the Markham warehouse.