None
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4990 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:51 pm
Yea they miscategorized the title and led to higher duty bracket.

It worked out to the same as if buying directly from US seller, but faster and simpler.
Tried them out last week and so far it's a mess.

Bought two items that literally say Made in USA in the title of the product and their site even correctly labeled the items as Made in the USA but their estimate had duties...
In addition their estimated taxes are higher than expected. Emailed them two days ago disagreeing with their estimates and nothing. Probably won't use them again in the future.
Plan: Public Mobile - $48/month Unlimited NA Talk/Global Text/8GB
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
icemasta wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:48 pm
Tried them out last week and so far it's a mess.

Bought two items that literally say Made in USA in the title of the product and their site even correctly labeled the items as Made in the USA but their estimate had duties...
In addition their estimated taxes are higher than expected. Emailed them two days ago disagreeing with their estimates and nothing. Probably won't use them again in the future.
This.

Did you try calling them? I called and they fixed the type of item on the file and my duty dropped immediately. However, when I asked about country of origin I was told "they correctly checked the label" that it's made out of USMCA that I must pay the duty.

I will find out soon enough if that was hot air or reality. Obviously, I don't have the product and the seller is a global company that has factories globally.

If they can't input duty-related info correctly they really have no business model.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4990 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:55 pm
This.

Did you try calling them? I called and they fixed the type of item on the file and my duty dropped immediately. However, when I asked about country of origin I was told "they correctly checked the label" that it's made out of USMCA that I must pay the duty.

I will find out soon enough if that was hot air or reality. Obviously, I don't have the product and the seller is a global company that has factories globally.

If they can't input duty-related info correctly they really have no business model.
I'll try calling them tomorrow. On the link they provided me to review the taxes and duties it is correctly listed as Made in the USA so I have no idea why there is duties on their estimate.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21224 posts
2074 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:58 pm
Got dinged by 13% duties and 15% HST!!?!?!?!

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/duty ... -and-taxes

First, no option to chose country of origin.

Secondly, the products are certainly incorrectedly identified. This makes me thing they don't even look at the labels on the product to input correctly.

Third, the duty and tax rates are all off.

WTF?
Tax rate is 13% HST if you're from Ontario. What's the item and tariff supposed to be?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5889 posts
1418 upvotes
Markham
For those who are complaining about duties, this is a risk of buying anything internationally. This has nothing to do with CrossBorderPickup who simply provides a service for you.

CrossBorderPickup is not assessing the duties on your packages. CBSA is charging the duty and taxes. The seller writes on the declaration, place and value and if that's different from what you're declaring, it's going to be your problem not CrossBorderPickup.

LongLiveRFD...you said no option to chose country of origin. (see the picture)...not sure but when I got something, there's a dropdown box.

With the number of packages they are handling, It is not their responsibility to determine and/or fight for anyone regarding how duties are assessed. If you feel that you were charged duties incorrectly, it's up to you to go fight it.
As a sidenote, most of the time, whenever I have gone thru the border, typically CBSA doesn't want to hassle with your trying to determine whether your purchase is duty'able or not, they just charge HST. Perhaps this is changing and they're going to charge duty and HST and it's up to you to go fight them.

As per their CrossBorderPickup website:

DO WE NEGOTIATE WITH CUSTOMS?
We are partnered with a Customs Brokerage that vets all our shipments with Canadian Customs. The process does not involve negotiation.

DOES CROSS BORDER PICKUPS REALLY PAY MY CUSTOMS FEES?
CROSS BORDER PICKUPS pays for all duties and taxes on your behalf as your package(s) passes through Customs. When you pick up or have your package(s) mailed to you, the paid duties and taxes will be included on your bill. Brokerage fees are included in our services – there are no additional charges, painful paperwork, and long drives and hours of waiting.

WHAT ARE THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH IMPORTING GOODS INTO CANADA?
There are usually four costs associated with importing goods into Canada

Duties – Duties and taxes are issued by the government and will depend on the category and price of the item being imported.
Taxes
Brokerage
Transportation.
Duties and taxes are issued by the government and will depend on the category and price of the item being imported.

Both brokerage and transportation are included in our services. That’s one of the CBP advantages! CBP will pay the duties and taxes on your behalf at the time of import, and you will be required to reimburse us when you pick up or have your package mailed to you.
Images
  • cbs Screenshot_6.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:11 am
For those who are complaining about duties, this is a risk of buying anything internationally. This has nothing to do with CrossBorderPickup who simply provides a service for you.

CrossBorderPickup is not assessing the duties on your packages. CBSA is charging the duty and taxes. The seller writes on the declaration, place and value and if that's different from what you're declaring, it's going to be your problem not CrossBorderPickup.

LongLiveRFD...you said no option to chose country of origin. (see the picture)...not sure but when I got something, there's a dropdown box.
The dropdown was frozen for me on Chrome. Forgot to check using other browsers. Did you use Explorer??

Or it's possible once it's set Made in China you cannot change it but you can only change if it's made in USA? i.e. you can only elect to pay higher duty?

CBP could put our best foot forward. I will find out soon enough if the label did say Made in USA or not.

I've used other freighter forwarder who added value by opening your packages. They inspect if the product is visibly defective and do the return on your behalf, remove excessive packaging and repack, and send you a pic when arrived....etc.

Maybe CBP is good for bulk and small biz but not individuals? I tested myself to find out.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:36 am
Tax rate is 13% HST if you're from Ontario. What's the item and tariff supposed to be?
Women purse, under 100USD. 11% tariff, 15% HST.

I guess the $150 tariff limit wouldn't apply if made outside USMCA??

Even if you use this: https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calc ... calculator

It will give you 15% HST if foreign, 13% if USMCA.

And I rotated through all categories under Apparel and cannot back out 11%.

Mind you, I already paid 7% NY State tax as the shipping address is Niagara Falls.

If you add everything up, buy and ship directly is around the same cost but a whole lot less hassle, since the sellers usually take care of the info correctly.
Last edited by LongLiveRFD on Jan 11th, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21224 posts
2074 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:28 am
The dropdown was frozen for me on Chrome. Forgot to check using other browsers. Did you use Explorer??

Or it's possible once it's set Made in China you cannot change it but you can only change if it's made in USA? i.e. you can only elect to pay higher duty?

CBP could put our best foot forward. I will find out soon enough if the label did say Made in USA or not.

I've used other freighter forwarder who added value by opening your packages. They inspect if the product is visibly defective and do the return on your behalf, remove excessive packaging and repack, and send you a pic when arrived....etc.

Maybe CBP is good for bulk and small biz but not individuals? I tested myself to find out.
Its frozen and only editable by CBP as far as I understand.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21224 posts
2074 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:34 am
Women purse, under 100USD. 11% tariff, 15% HST.

I guess the $150 tariff limit wouldn't apply if made outside USMCA??

Even if you use this: https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calc ... calculator

It will give you 15% HST if foreign, 13% if USMCA.

And I rotated through all categories under Apparel and cannot back out 11%.

Mind you, I already paid 7% NY State tax as the shipping address is Niagara Falls.

If you add everything up, buy and ship directly is around the same cost but a whole lot less hassle, since the sellers usually take care of the info correctly.
NAFTA has not been repealed and replaced yet so there is zero exemption.

I'm confused as you have seem to use HST and duty interchangeablely. Duty on a purse is only applicable if it's made outside US or Mexico. If it is, about 15% is applied. HST at 13% is then applied, regardless of where it was made, on top of the duties as well.

Your pick up email should break out duties and HST
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:19 pm
NAFTA has not been repealed and replaced yet so there is zero exemption.

I'm confused as you have seem to use HST and duty interchangeablely. Duty on a purse is only applicable if it's made outside US or Mexico. If it is, about 15% is applied. HST at 13% is then applied, regardless of where it was made, on top of the duties as well.

Your pick up email should break out duties and HST
I used CBP's actual dollar amount and the calculator they provided and found HST actually varies.

Duty and HST are separate, and both are based off merchandise value (before 7% NY State tax), so no tax on tax.

1.11x1.13=1.25>1.15, so duty being included as the base for HST is not possible. Their ON HST is simply 15%.

Will see the actual dollar values first, then figure out why. I think it's fair to say in this case there's almost no dollar difference for paying the seller's preferred brokerage vs DIY & CBP.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Update: Got notified parcel is ready for pick up, it's a day and 5hrs after approval email. This is fast, considering border clearing.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21224 posts
2074 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:36 pm
I used CBP's actual dollar amount and the calculator they provided and found HST actually varies.

Duty and HST are separate, and both are based off merchandise value (before 7% NY State tax), so no tax on tax.

1.11x1.13=1.25>1.15, so duty being included as the base for HST is not possible. Their ON HST is simply 15%.

Will see the actual dollar values first, then figure out why. I think it's fair to say in this case there's almost no dollar difference for paying the seller's preferred brokerage vs DIY & CBP.
What was the CAD value of the item, duties and HST?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:41 pm
What was the CAD value of the item, duties and HST?
Value USD$88, not including 7% NY State Tax

CBP quoted:
Duty CAD$13.16 (@11%)
HST CAD$17.27 (if @13%, HST->$15.12)
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4990 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
After 4 days of not hearing a response I ended up calling CBP.

I ordered a Made in USA backpack and duffle bag and was surprised to see duties because there shouldn't be as per NAFTA. The rep was saying how Trump enacted certain special duties despite the items being made in the USA and that my bags applied. I am aware of certain items but do not recall apparel or bags being in that equation. I asked for some kind of documentation that states that cause I found it hard to believe. The rep asked what my items were again and then went on their system and changed the description to backpack instead of textiles, it dropped the duties right away. No idea who thought 2 bags would not be classified under backpack considering even the CBSA Duty Calculator disagrees with them charging duties on bags. There was no need for the rep to argue when they were wrong from the start.

Thankfully it got resolved with a quick phone call but might as well use MyMallBox and self-declare the items properly to not run into this issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
icemasta wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:51 am
After 4 days of not hearing a response I ended up calling CBP.

I ordered a Made in USA backpack and duffle bag and was surprised to see duties because there shouldn't be as per NAFTA. The rep was saying how Trump enacted certain special duties despite the items being made in the USA and that my bags applied. I am aware of certain items but do not recall apparel or bags being in that equation. I asked for some kind of documentation that states that cause I found it hard to believe. The rep asked what my items were again and then went on their system and changed the description to backpack instead of textiles, it dropped the duties right away. No idea who thought 2 bags would not be classified under backpack considering even the CBSA Duty Calculator disagrees with them charging duties on bags. There was no need for the rep to argue when they were wrong from the start.

Thankfully it got resolved with a quick phone call but might as well use MyMallBox and self-declare the items properly to not run into this issue.
Same here. They defaulted my two almost identical purses to two different textile categories. Human error? carelessness? Problem in optical recognition?

Don't know but this overstating duty is the deal killer.