• Mar 27th, 2024 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
thanks for the feedback guys. I meant CBSA not CBP.

The bottle was made in Italy. I valued it at $150 USD.

Duties: $13.85
Taxes: $27.52
Pickup Fee : $11.30

I've ordered direct from Italy (Xerjoff) multiple times and only ever paid taxes (13% of converted to CAD value) and then a brokerage fee of $11.30. Never paid duties on a single order.

Whenever I buy/trade with someone from the US and the mail it via USPS to Canada, it's always sailed through without anything owing. I have no problem paying once in awhile but if I'm going to be hammered every single time then it's not worth it.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Apr 13, 2009
494 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Now when Ebay starting charging tax in NY state, these CBP guys are becoming less and less relevant.

And I'm not even commenting on governmental logic of triple taxing the same item (tax when buying new, tax when re-purchasing used, Canadian border tax). Or maybe it's quadruple if seller will have to pay income tax.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28753 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Boots. $400.

Nordstrom Rack
Buy direct to Canada., $400+int'l surcharge 20% (which apparently covers duty & any taxes)+$10Shipping = 490
Send to buddy in 0% tax State - $400 + $10 shipping = $410. But USPS for boots weight & box ($40'ish), or UPS ($28.xx), or DHL ($53). PLUS paying the CDN Taxes & Duty on them on top. PLUS the favour of asking my buddy to receive & redirect. $410+$28+ 13%Taxes = 491, not even counting what I'd pay for Duty on top.

If I used CBP, I'm screwed on the NY Sales Tax, right off the bat, plus pay the TAxes & Duty, plus they want $15-$18 to mail it to me from Toronto. Brutal. So I'm paying additionally:
NY Sales Tax
416 to my home postage (which is of course the slowest level of service).

There is absolutely no incentive to use them. God forbid anything goes sour. Sounds like there would be an abyss of a positional inbox to fight through to get answers.

I guess, I'm just late to cbp. For the infrequent once or twice or three times a year I'm ordering somethign, will keep doing it as I have been all along.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Jul 15, 2009
33 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
I have a package that has been refused delivery by USPS to CBP Niagara Falls location. CBP posted on their website that they are actively working with USPS to resolve the issue. Anyone having the similar issue and got any insight?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
qt168 wrote: I have a package that has been refused delivery by USPS to CBP Niagara Falls location. CBP posted on their website that they are actively working with USPS to resolve the issue. Anyone having the similar issue and got any insight?
Read the recent reviews on here....avoid CBP if you can
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
Had an amazing experience with CBP this week. Ordered from BestBuy.com on Monday night, order made it to Niagara Falls, NY on Thursday morning, and it was ready for pickup on Saturday morning! Orders from Canada usually take longer than this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7296 posts
71700 upvotes
Aznkid2000 wrote: one of my encounter with big ticket item was item was 800$ or something like and the 4 of us stayed 24 hours but when we were at the border he was charged tax on the full amount because there reasoning was its 1 item and you can't split the exemption.

Seems like they make up rules as they go?

They are correct, you can't split the allowed amount between people. And if you are over you have to pay the full tax on the amount. Happened to a friend of mine a few months ago. We went over for 30 hrs, he claimed like $190 USD, (was allowed, $200 CDN which is about $150 USD) they made him pay tax on the full amount.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Some ppl have posted problems with CBP...that their package was delivered and the CBP hasn't contacted them. Perhaps this explains why this might happen.

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-have-a-d ... 1821090068
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 29, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
There seems to be an increasing number of US eBay sellers who won't ship to Canada so I was wondering if anyone has used CBP for an eBay purchase recently?
I was looking for some feedback with regards to what additional fees you may have incurred.
Is it recommended to have the seller mark the item as low value to avoid high duties / taxes or does the value of the contents get reassessed when it's forwarded?
Thanks!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
hipshop416 wrote: There seems to be an increasing number of US eBay sellers who won't ship to Canada so I was wondering if anyone has used CBP for an eBay purchase recently?
I was looking for some feedback with regards to what additional fees you may have incurred.
Is it recommended to have the seller mark the item as low value to avoid high duties / taxes or does the value of the contents get reassessed when it's forwarded?
Thanks!
I've bought from Ebay and shipped within the US to CBP (shipping to Cda was really high in my case) who brought the merch to Markham Pickup Point. In my case, no duties, just tax and their fee. Excellent experience.

I didn't play any games with false valuation etc.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone have problem login to their account with their new portal ?
I cant login and the password reset does not work.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Anyone have problem login to their account with their new portal ?
I cant login and the password reset does not work.
I was able to login but it required me to update my password. After changing my password it seems to be working. I haven't shipped anything through it yet but the one inbound package is still sitting there waiting for approval as it was before.

One thing to note is that I can't get my old outbound shipments to show up - but click "undo order" and a bunch of "grouped orders" show up. Nothing I can really interpret from those but they seem to be linked to my old shipments. Clicking on "outbound > bulk upload> download file: postage & delivery" I get what looks like a test spreadsheet file.

Basically they seem to be still transitioning to their new portal.
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
I forgot to mention that I can also see my old inbound "requested shipments" back to September 2018 (I've been using CrossBorderPickups since October 2015). So yes it appears to be working for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dex wrote: I forgot to mention that I can also see my old inbound "requested shipments" back to September 2018 (I've been using CrossBorderPickups since October 2015). So yes it appears to be working for me.
FYI, you can still login to the old portal at
http://portal.crossborderpickups.ca

I think you may want to download all the record from there.
The new portal does not seem like it is linked to the old one.
You will lose all data.
I personally hate the new design. It seems like it is really buggy and is not compatible with my browser.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
theflyingsquirrel wrote: FYI, you can still login to the old portal at
http://portal.crossborderpickups.ca

I think you may want to download all the record from there.
The new portal does not seem like it is linked to the old one.
You will lose all data.
I personally hate the new design. It seems like it is really buggy and is not compatible with my browser.
My old data is still there.

Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1862 posts
882 upvotes
Markham
Well I have some stuff coming from eBay US, so let's hope my experience with CBP is a good one.
RTX 4090 FE & 5800X3D
Aug 26, 2019
2 posts
Hi,

I found out about CrossBorderPickup from redflagdeals. I setup a new account 2 weeks ago and ordered from Amazon.com to be shipped to their US address. The tracking says it arrived August 21 by USPS around 10:45 am hand delivered to someone at that address. I have not heard back from CrossBorderPickup. I've sent a few emails inquiring about my package starting August 25. I have not received any reply. I tried calling the number and nobody answers. Has any one else experience the same problem?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1862 posts
882 upvotes
Markham
Anne55 wrote: Hi,

I found out about CrossBorderPickup from redflagdeals. I setup a new account 2 weeks ago and ordered from Amazon.com to be shipped to their US address. The tracking says it arrived August 21 by USPS around 10:45 am hand delivered to someone at that address. I have not heard back from CrossBorderPickup. I've sent a few emails inquiring about my package starting August 25. I have not received any reply. I tried calling the number and nobody answers. Has any one else experience the same problem?
You're suppose to receive an email asking you to login to your account and declare the value there to clear customs... then once you approve it, you have request to have it shipped to one of the warehouses in Mississauga or Markham.
RTX 4090 FE & 5800X3D
Nov 16, 2016
209 posts
88 upvotes
Alberta
So from the sounds of things CBP has gone downhill in the last ~year. What's everyone using now? Or what are some alternatives?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Firecatman wrote: So from the sounds of things CBP has gone downhill in the last ~year. What's everyone using now? Or what are some alternatives?
Problem is there aren't alternatives.

I haven't had issues using CBP and many others similarly have not had problems.

Issues have been usually duty related which isn't really CBP issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)