5509 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:16 pm
88USD to 119.64CAD
You owe HST on 13.16 plus 119.64 or 132.80 total. At 13% thats 17.26

HST is 13%.
Thanks. I can get to the 4th decimal now.

The trick is to back out the FX inferred by duty, then apply HST on duty.

Somehow CBP used prior week's FX, while I used the current day FX per their calculator...
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/excha ... nge-rates/

Jan 2nd 1.3600 (CBP used this to calculate duty)
Jan 5th order made
Jan 9th 1.3221 (CBP sent approval on this rate on 10th)

A 2.8% slippage.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21293 posts
2122 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:59 pm
Thanks. I can get to the 4th decimal now.

The trick is to back out the FX inferred by duty, then apply HST on duty.

Somehow CBP used prior week's FX, while I used the current day FX per their calculator...
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/excha ... nge-rates/

Jan 2nd 1.3600 (CBP used this to calculate duty)
Jan 5th order made
Jan 9th 1.3221 (CBP sent approval on this rate on 10th)

A 2.8% slippage.
I noticed the same on my transaction but it was only less than a buck. At least when you cross yourself the rate is that days.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5509 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:04 pm
I noticed the same on my transaction but it was only less than a buck. At least when you cross yourself the rate is that days.
Well, lesson learned.
1. Just buy/ship direct but settle in USD (via any FX Conversion free CC) would be the best bet for most consumer small orders. For my order, it's only 3% more than using CBP.
2. If not, CBP being cheapest, but extra fuel cost and stress for correcting them and the driving to pick up in GTA. That's it if they don't misread country of origin on product labels.
3. Try to avoid paying in CAD to US sellers. 5% more than #2 for zero benefits

I simply don't order enough to justify the 2-9 hr traffic jam.

And it's not like our resource sectors and the Canadian Rupee is going to help x-border shoppers for a very long time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5509 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA
Picked up my parcel today at CBP Markham, everything went as expected.

1. The label was indeed Made in China. But I was told no matter where it's made, duty must be paid.
2. You can forward the pickup email to anyone and have anyone pick up on your behalf. No ID check, only provided the account number.
3. Their Markham location can't handle crate, the door being too small. Mississauga is the only option.
Nov 9, 2005
179 posts
48 upvotes
"But I was told no matter where it's made, duty must be paid." NOT SO and Illegal, many items can be imported duty free into Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7461 posts
2681 upvotes
Markham
Just a FYI that even though the courier/delivery company says "they attempted delivery at X:XX time and CBP was closed" doesn't actually mean they attempted delivery. Case in point: I have package coming from Amazon to my office here in Markham and according to Purolator tracking, they "attempted delivery at 4:30pm yesterday" => Not true I was here the whole time. I think what happens is the driver is behind and sometimes they don't even try to deliver some packages, they just say they do.

Lesson to be learned, don't trust what the courier company says about attempting delivery...just be patient and CBP will notify you when they have your package - at that time they usually ask for invoice value etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Verified Rep
Dec 5, 2010
493 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Hi gr8dlr, so sorry to hear about this incident. If you can please send us the tracking number of the Amazon shipment, we'll verify what happened.

Thanks,

Catherine/ Social Media Coordinator
Email: customer.care@purolator.com
Customer Care Team / Purolator Inc.

E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com / Twitter Handle: @PurolatorHelp
Apr 10, 2017
813 posts
269 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:52 pm
Picked up my parcel today at CBP Markham, everything went as expected.

1. The label was indeed Made in China. But I was told no matter where it's made, duty must be paid.
2. You can forward the pickup email to anyone and have anyone pick up on your behalf. No ID check, only provided the account number.
3. Their Markham location can't handle crate, the door being too small. Mississauga is the only option.
If at anytime you feel that the assessment is incorrect, file a B2G with CBSA. Make sure you get the breakdown of the charges from CBP.

This is very irresponsible on CBPs part. I asked who their broker was and the girl didn't know off hand.
Sep 7, 2008
10 posts
Toronto
I had an order sent to CrossBorderPickups and was originally told to pay taxes on a total that included shipping costs. There wasn't suppose to be duties on my shipment either, as the items I ordered were made in the USA. Before I accepted/approved the costs for them to ship over to the Mississauga location from NY, I emailed them and had them make corrections to duties and taxes. So far, I'm happy with the responses they gave and the turnaround on the email replies. I have yet to go to Mississauga to pick up my package, will probably do that next weekend (not this coming weekend) and will update on my experience.
Aug 8, 2005
479 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
I had an order sent to CrossBorderPickups and was originally told to pay taxes on a total that included shipping costs.
Which is actually correct

The declared coat of your goods has to be “fully landed” which means the full delivered cost including all shipping and taxes

I once imported a car and was asked if shipping was included or extra. I paid separately to ship it to Buffalo. They asked for the shipping receipt and included shipping in the cost of the car

Makes sense because you could order a $100 free shipping item for $1 + $99 shipping, and declare it as $1. The rule says either way you need to declare $100

Just pointing out that CBP was doing the right thing. Nice of them to reduce the cost, but they did you a favour
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7461 posts
2681 upvotes
Markham
BHA1 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:21 am
Which is actually correct

The declared coat of your goods has to be “fully landed” which means the full delivered cost including all shipping and taxes

I once imported a car and was asked if shipping was included or extra. I paid separately to ship it to Buffalo. They asked for the shipping receipt and included shipping in the cost of the car

Makes sense because you could order a $100 free shipping item for $1 + $99 shipping, and declare it as $1. The rule says either way you need to declare $100

Just pointing out that CBP was doing the right thing. Nice of them to reduce the cost, but they did you a favour
I disclose the amount BEFORE shipping in USD. My rationale is that I "consumed" the item in the US as it's shipping within the US and I'm not "bringing the service back", so I don't want to pay tax on something I'm not bringing back. By your rationale, I should include the cost of gas I've consumed in the US to bring my package back....Not! They only want to know the value of the item I'm bringing, the shipping is not value in my mind because I could in theory pick it up at the place I'm buying from instead of having it shipped.

I'm not 100% sure that is correct but I figure Border Services is not likely to hassle me for that as it's interpretation so I figure why pay HST on that.

Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21293 posts
2122 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 12:38 pm
I disclose the amount BEFORE shipping in USD. My rationale is that I "consumed" the item in the US as it's shipping within the US and I'm not "bringing the service back", so I don't want to pay tax on something I'm not bringing back. By your rationale, I should include the cost of gas I've consumed in the US to bring my package back....Not! They only want to know the value of the item I'm bringing, the shipping is not value in my mind because I could in theory pick it up at the place I'm buying from instead of having it shipped.

I'm not 100% sure that is correct but I figure Border Services is not likely to hassle me for that as it's interpretation so I figure why pay HST on that.
That would be correct if it was direct ship to Canada, the freight for that portion would be backed out. However since it landed in NY it becomes part of the value for duty.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7461 posts
2681 upvotes
Markham
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 2:39 pm
That would be correct if it was direct ship to Canada, the freight for that portion would be backed out. However since it landed in NY it becomes part of the value for duty.
I don't agree. I think the shipping within the USA should not be dutied.

If my friend sends me a gift, I don't think UPS expects them to include the shipping cost in the declaration of value so why would I pay duty on it.

Similarly, if I show up at CBSA without a invoice (say I lost it).....CBSA will not look up the value and add notional shipping to it. They just lookup the value ie price.

In the case where someone said $1 item plus $99 shipping....similarly you can't BS the true value/invoiced value. The value is the value, it needs to be reasonable or they won't likely accept it.

Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21293 posts
2122 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 4:26 pm
I don't agree. I think the shipping within the USA should not be dutied.

If my friend sends me a gift, I don't think UPS expects them to include the shipping cost in the declaration of value so why would I pay duty on it.

Similarly, if I show up at CBSA without a invoice (say I lost it).....CBSA will not look up the value and add notional shipping to it. They just lookup the value ie price.

In the case where someone said $1 item plus $99 shipping....similarly you can't BS the true value/invoiced value. The value is the value, it needs to be reasonable or they won't likely accept it.
Disagree all you wish, however we have the Customs Act in force. Read section 48.

If you ever show up at a CBSA checkpoint and had lost your receipts, you're headed to secondary.