• Oct 3rd, 2017 3:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2082 posts
440 upvotes
Scarborough
After reading this thread I pulled the trigger and signed up. Purchased something on eBay and the shipping fee within US versus shipping to Canada was almost doubled. After using the calculator I would end up paying $15 to pick it up or for the extra $10 have it shipped to my door. I live in Scarborough so driving to Mississauga back and forth might end up breaking even so I will determine this when its time to pick it up. Also read there is either a $3 fee or 3% fee if paying by plastic. Sounds like a lot but on a $15 order I don't really care.

will post results in a few days.
Dec 27, 2002
435 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
I also just used this for 2 separate high value orders (Subwoofer + TV). I think the TV (Samsung) is exempt from duty, while the subwoofer isn't (made in China). I will edit this post with my thoughts and results next week.
----------------
EDIT: Both packages received!
TV:
- Shipped to CBP on Dec 13, they sent me an e-mail asking for value (since there was no bill attached to package). I responded promptly.
- Arrived in Mississauga Dec 16.

Subwoofer:
- Shipped to CBP on Dec 7, they sent me and e-mail asking for value (since there was no bill attached to package). I responded promptly.
- Arrived in MIssissauga Dec 15.

The combined value in CAD was about $1800. I picked up both items Dec 17, there were a few people inside (picking up car body kit parts, and some collectibles), and I was in and out fairly quick. I was able to use their dolly to bring the subwoofer to my car (it's big). Combined taxes and fees was about $180, which is way more than reasonable. I am satisfied, will use again, especially for oversized items.
Last edited by HappyDaze on Dec 1st, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 11, 2009
308 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I used them a couple months back and was very satisfied, actually paid less taxes then I had calculated myself. I just wish that they weren't blacklisted by bestbuy US then I'd definitely use them more often. Walmart US and Amazon have no problem shipping to them. Been a loyal CBI customer for years, but these guys are more worth it as I save on my time and gas alone, plus I'm in Mississauga so their warehouse location is icing on the cake.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3365 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 10:53 am
I used them a couple months back and was very satisfied, actually paid less taxes then I had calculated myself. I just wish that they weren't blacklisted by bestbuy US then I'd definitely use them more often. Walmart US and Amazon have no problem shipping to them. Been a loyal CBI customer for years, but these guys are more worth it as I save on my time and gas alone, plus I'm in Mississauga so their warehouse location is icing on the cake.
How did you know they are blacklisted by Bestbuy U.S.? According to their FAQ:

"WHAT ONLINE STORES CAN I SHOP FROM TO USE MY CBP ADDRESS?
You can buy from any retailers or individuals you wish and receive the items in Canada."

which I thought was hard to believe, knowing that CBI, etc. are blacklisted by some retailers.
Jan 11, 2009
308 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jm1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:48 pm
How did you know they are blacklisted by Bestbuy U.S.? According to their FAQ:

"WHAT ONLINE STORES CAN I SHOP FROM TO USE MY CBP ADDRESS?
You can buy from any retailers or individuals you wish and receive the items in Canada."

which I thought was hard to believe, knowing that CBI, etc. are blacklisted by some retailers.
tried purchasing in the past from bestbuy and the order went through using the Houston international billing address but was cancelled shortly there after, when I ordered something from bestbuy using the Houston international billing address and an "amerifriend's" address it went through and shipped out. I've also read number posts about bestbuy blacklisting known freight forwarders/US drop ship boxes and CBP is very well known. Were you successful??
May 31, 2008
452 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 8:56 am
I've also read number posts about bestbuy blacklisting known freight forwarders/US drop ship boxes and CBP is very well known. Were you successful??
I recently tried CBP address with Bestbuy USA- for Cyber Monday-the order was canceled No problem shipping to other usa mailboxes though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7559 posts
900 upvotes
Toronto
I just finished creating an account with Cross Border Pickups and it doesn't really tell you what to do next. If I go to profile i can see a Niagara Falls address with a unit #. I assume the unit # is unique per account? So I can just shop online and have the item shipped to that address?
Jan 11, 2009
308 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
appleb wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 11:38 pm
I just finished creating an account with Cross Border Pickups and it doesn't really tell you what to do next. If I go to profile i can see a Niagara Falls address with a unit #. I assume the unit # is unique per account? So I can just shop online and have the item shipped to that address?
Yes, so now just go shopping and use your FULL CBP address as the mailing address, when a package arrives you will get an email from CBP to provide them with the declared value of the items, 24-48 hrs. after you reply back to them with the value the "pending packages" in your CBP will have a tax/duty amount listed, then you can decide whether to wait for more item to come in and save by "consolidating" the items as one shipment to the Mississauga warehouse or you can have them shipped right away (higher service charge).
Jan 11, 2009
308 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Basheer wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 9:43 am
I use http://www.usaddressinc.com

No problems and it's $5 for each package
Have you ever successfully ordered anything from BestBuy US to this place? I ask because CBI and CBP is blacklisted by BestBuy US
Sep 18, 2004
476 posts
78 upvotes
With CBP, if I have an item shipped to Niagara, NY, do I have to pay NY sales tax?
Jul 24, 2010
383 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Airbum88 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 2:04 am
With CBP, if I have an item shipped to Niagara, NY, do I have to pay NY sales tax?
Only if the item was sold by a retailer also in NY. The retailer will charge this.
Sep 18, 2004
476 posts
78 upvotes
beaverdonut wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 7:34 am
Only if the item was sold by a retailer also in NY. The retailer will charge this.
Arrgh, I want to buy from Nike. I guess there's no way to avoid the tax.
Apr 21, 2009
846 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
A friend from the USA is going to ship me a MacBook Pro I had shipped to his address.

If I have him ship it to CrossBorderPickup, how much approx would I have to pay if i picked it up from their mississauga warehouse?
Jan 11, 2009
308 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BengaliPrince wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 7:21 pm
A friend from the USA is going to ship me a MacBook Pro I had shipped to his address.

If I have him ship it to CrossBorderPickup, how much approx would I have to pay if i picked it up from their mississauga warehouse?
You will pay 13% HST on what you paid for the MacBook, plus approx $15-20 CDN for shipping it to Mississauga. Which I think is still cheaper than having your buddy ship it to Canada, and cheaper (gas, bridge toll, your time) if you had it shipped to a place like CBI.