• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 5:32 am
Tags:
None
Jan 10, 2011
317 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
If CBP asks you the contents and value of the package, could you not underestimate the value to pay less duties and taxes?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1019 posts
448 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
I imagine they would want to see an invoice in advance or since the package is opened at the border there is most likely a shipping invoice. Failing that why would you want to put the screws to a company that is really doing you a big favour? Now you are asking about CrossBorderPickup (CBP) as opposed to Canada Customs (CBSA)?
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Just adding a follow up here about CBP.

My two small packages from Amazon were charged a $17 fee for consolidated shipping and I paid $30 in HST.

If I had not consolidated the packages it would have been $18.
Feb 16, 2014
470 posts
90 upvotes
London
Guncho wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 1:56 pm

My two small packages from Amazon were charged a $17 fee for consolidated shipping and I paid $30 in HST.

I am not quite sure that I understood your point.

Do you mean that CBP is pretty useless and by using their service,you have paid too much?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Not at all and I didn't have a point.

Just sharing my experience.
Dec 27, 2002
441 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
I received my items a few days ago, edited my previous post #92. Totally satisfied, these are both oversized items and I paid a very reasonable amount.

The TV was the Samsung KS8000 55", for which my final cost was <$1200 CAD all in, which is the deal of the year for me considering the pricing in Canada. Tested it, no damage or dead pixels (whew!).
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13694 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
Are they opening and inspecting your package?
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
They opened my packages.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5424 posts
289 upvotes
TO
Planning to use them for my next amazon order. What are some other cross border shippers that are very competitive and similar to cbp? I remember there were discussions of mymallbox or myusaddress, kinek etc.

I used to go cross the border and pick up items at cbi but with the us$, bridge toll and time, it's just easier having it shipped to a warehouse in mississauga.
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
RIP Marriott Visa card :(

You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm not aware of any others that offer pickup in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1359 posts
29 upvotes
I'm not sure how it works... other companies, you use DHL or USPS etc. But, this co., they ship your purchases (they're located in the USA near the border) to a depot in Mississauga or what? How long do you have to wait for your purchase? I assume they just use Canada Post when they ship from their Mississauga location?
Dec 27, 2006
60 posts
7 upvotes
The way it works is they give you an American address, then you use that address for your orders. When the package shows up at the American address they send you an email asking you to provide a description of the contents and the value. Once you respond, they send an email with the estimated taxes and duty owing. You then approve (or disapprove) their estimate and indicate whether you want them to hold the package to consolidate it with other shipments that are en-route to the American address or go ahead and clear customs. They then pay the taxes and duty owing and clear it at customs, put it on their truck, send it to Mississauga. Once it gets there they send you another email indicating the package is ready for pickup and how much tax/duty you owe along with their fee. You can have them send it to your Canadian address if you want, but I've never done that.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1808 posts
700 upvotes
GTA
Guncho wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 1:56 pm

$47 would pay for trip to Buffalo and back. Buy some cheap gas down there, couple cans of $5 Plasti Dip, get the package from Kinek point and come back. What is the advantage of using CBP?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
How do you know you wouldn't have to pay HST on the items on the way back?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3414 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto
Tommy74 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 8:53 pm
$47 would pay for trip to Buffalo and back. Buy some cheap gas down there, couple cans of $5 Plasti Dip, get the package from Kinek point and come back. What is the advantage of using CBP?
Saving at least three hours of driving (can be much more, depending on border delays, weather, accidents on the 401, etc.). Maybe you misunderstood and didn't know that you pick up your CBP packages from Mississauga.

So in this example, the comparison is $47 to pickup from Mississauga or $47 and three hours driving to pickup in Buffalo (picking up some cheap U.S. gas is offset by the additional gas to go to Buffalo).