• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 5:32 am
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2017
25 posts
HappyDaze wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 7:16 am
I received my items a few days ago, edited my previous post #92. Totally satisfied, these are both oversized items and I paid a very reasonable amount.

The TV was the Samsung KS8000 55", for which my final cost was <$1200 CAD all in, which is the deal of the year for me considering the pricing in Canada. Tested it, no damage or dead pixels (whew!).
How much did CBP charge for something that big and heavy?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1359 posts
29 upvotes
theburner wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 5:51 pm
The way it works is they give you an American address, then you use that address for your orders. When the package shows up at the American address they send you an email asking you to provide a description of the contents and the value. Once you respond, they send an email with the estimated taxes and duty owing. You then approve (or disapprove) their estimate and indicate whether you want them to hold the package to consolidate it with other shipments that are en-route to the American address or go ahead and clear customs. They then pay the taxes and duty owing and clear it at customs, put it on their truck, send it to Mississauga. Once it gets there they send you another email indicating the package is ready for pickup and how much tax/duty you owe along with their fee. You can have them send it to your Canadian address if you want, but I've never done that.
'Describe?' You only have to say what it is and what's valued as, right? They have the item so I don't see how the purchaser would have to describe it more than that. ;)
jm1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 10:06 pm
Saving at least three hours of driving (can be much more, depending on border delays, weather, accidents on the 401, etc.). Maybe you misunderstood and didn't know that you pick up your CBP packages from Mississauga.

So in this example, the comparison is $47 to pickup from Mississauga or $47 and three hours driving to pickup in Buffalo (picking up some cheap U.S. gas is offset by the additional gas to go to Buffalo).
I think it's more convenient to just have them forward/mail it to you than to pick it up - unless the buyer is in the GTA - and even then, it is probably more convenient to just have it mailed.
Dec 27, 2006
60 posts
7 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 1:18 pm
'Describe?' You only have to say what it is and what's valued as, right? They have the item so I don't see how the purchaser would have to describe it more than that. ;)
Ya, they have the item, but unless there's a shipping manifest on the outside of the parcel they don't know what the contents are. Don't forget the shipper isn't filling out paperwork for a cross border shipment as to them it is a domestic shipment. My understanding is that CBP doesn't open the parcels (unless requested by the purchaser).

When there's a manifest they only ask for the value. If not, then they request description and value. I've provided a detailed list of all the items, a quantity and value for each and a total value. Whether that's overkill or not, I'm not sure. For one of my shipments I got lazy and just put 'Electric Motor' instead of the actual part number and exact type of motor and they incorrectly indicated I needed to pay duties. I then provided a proper detailed description and no duties were in fact owing.
Dec 27, 2002
441 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
Greg8642 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 12:47 am
How much did CBP charge for something that big and heavy?
For both the 55" TV and 60lb subwoofer valued at about $1800 CAD, I paid CBP $180 for taxes + fees. I think this was a fluke however, since this is actually less than HST itself. The busy holidays must've caused some issues.

A friend bought the same TV (just the TV), and ended up paying $160 or so, which is more in line with HST + the CBP fee as stated on their online calculator.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2646 posts
137 upvotes
Mississauga
cmge wrote:
Jun 6th, 2015 3:26 am
yes, please update us with how their service is.. im interested in buying a few things

I wonder how Canada Border Services or Canada Customs feels about this new service ??
Don't be surprised if customs , taxes are due and payable on delivery unless it is included at the time the order
is processed and paid for in the US.

I have used CBI in Niagara Falls, a bit more expensive than most, but never had a problem ~
I have tried NYaddress.ca in Niagara Falls, cheaper but a bit slower service and a bit disorganized overall.
I will probably try them again just to make sure it wasn't just birthing pains with a new loaction startup !

For really expensive or critical packages , I would recommend CBI hands down !
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The same taxes are due at pickup that you would pay for when you cross the border back into Canada.

"Do you have anything to declare?"
Apr 20, 2007
67 posts
Mississauga ON
I have used them a couple of time in the past without any issues but recently I have had some issues with them. The prices went up slightly and the level of customer service has definitely gone down. One time they sent my package back without notifying me and I had spend hours on the phone with the sender and FedEx to track the package. Not to mention, there was further process involved to get my refund from the sender. The customer service isn't always great as they don't always reply to emails on time and the guy on the phone is pretty rude.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41480 posts
10183 upvotes
Some members got banned. Maybe they were affiliated with the company?

So CBP charges 6.1% duties and 13% HST yet still some had been charged less than 13% based on the invoice value? Interesting.
Dec 27, 2006
60 posts
7 upvotes
I wanted to do a post specifically regarding using CBP for Amazon.com orders. This might already known to some, but I wasn't aware in advance. It doesn't necessarily only apply to CBP either, but I thought it might be of value to some.

1. Amazon.com will charge you the NY State sales tax on your order, so be aware of that
2. Amazon.com has a lot of warehouses and even selecting to ship in the minimum number of shipments may still result in a lot of separate parcels that you're going to have to pay for each.

Regarding point 2; I put an order in at Amazon.com for 16 items and the order was split up into 6 separate shipments! I couldn't believe how many different shipments they made. You would think splitting it up into that many shipments would kill your profit margin; 5 of the 6 packages came via Amazon Logistics, so I guess that saves them a decent amount of money. In the end I had to pay $38 to CBP (1 small, 4 regular and 1 large) because of the splitting of the shipments vs my original guess of 2 shipments, both being large which would have been $20. Oh well; I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Yeah I really wish Amazon would tell you this before you hit "Place order".
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4639 posts
836 upvotes
Markham
theburner wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:44 am
I wanted to do a post specifically regarding using CBP for Amazon.com orders. This might already known to some, but I wasn't aware in advance. It doesn't necessarily only apply to CBP either, but I thought it might be of value to some.

1. Amazon.com will charge you the NY State sales tax on your order, so be aware of that
2. Amazon.com has a lot of warehouses and even selecting to ship in the minimum number of shipments may still result in a lot of separate parcels that you're going to have to pay for each.

Regarding point 2; I put an order in at Amazon.com for 16 items and the order was split up into 6 separate shipments! I couldn't believe how many different shipments they made. You would think splitting it up into that many shipments would kill your profit margin; 5 of the 6 packages came via Amazon Logistics, so I guess that saves them a decent amount of money. In the end I had to pay $38 to CBP (1 small, 4 regular and 1 large) because of the splitting of the shipments vs my original guess of 2 shipments, both being large which would have been $20. Oh well; I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Not sure if this is still the case or not but Amazon used to have a option to "ship all packages together" . You should have advised CBP about the multiple packages and perhaps they would've given you a break. I think I did ask them before and they said they have some flexibility to reduce the charge in this case.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The choices Amazon gives you are:

A) Group all items into as few packages as possible

B) Ship items as fast as possible.

Choosing option A does guarantee all items will be in one package.

The only break I got was to "consolidate" the packages which saved me a grand total of $1.00.
Sep 13, 2016
96 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
These guys open all your packages even if they say they don't and even if there is an invoice on the outside of the package/box. I had an expensive small item go missing and there was no recourse from the store because I shipped to a 3rd party. The store is highly reputable and I do not believe they didn't ship it since there was only one other item in the package.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41480 posts
10183 upvotes
Guncho wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:23 am
The choices Amazon gives you are:

A) Group all items into as few packages as possible

B) Ship items as fast as possible.

Choosing option A does guarantee all items will be in one package.

The only break I got was to "consolidate" the packages which saved me a grand total of $1.00.
Sometimes it works for add-ons because most warehouses stock them but mine keeps getting broken up.

Dinamo2016 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 12:16 pm
These guys open all your packages even if they say they don't and even if there is an invoice on the outside of the package/box. I had an expensive small item go missing and there was no recourse from the store because I shipped to a 3rd party. The store is highly reputable and I do not believe they didn't ship it since there was only one other item in the package.
Damn. How are you claiming the lost, through your credit card issuer? Hopefully you get reimbursed.
Dec 27, 2006
60 posts
7 upvotes
Dinamo2016 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 12:16 pm
Hmmm, interesting (and shitty). I noticed on my last group of packages that they had all been opened and re-taped. There was no doubt as the Amazon branded tape was clearly cut. I had assumed that customs opened them up for inspection. When bringing packages across the border yourself I assume border agents will sometimes (always?) open packages for inspection. If they do that, do you have to re-tape them yourself? Do they re-tape and use a branded CBSA inspection tape?