• Apr 18th, 2017 6:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13670 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone try Double D's deep dish pizza?

Looking to check this place out soon. Anyone tried their Chicago style deep dish pizza? Any good? Reviews seems good.
26 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10223 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
I have not tried this place yet, but there are some who believe the trip to Hamilton will lead you to a better pizza...
LNahid2000 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 10:28 pm
Tried this place today...doesn't even come close to Chicago Style Pizza Shack in Hamilton. You could tell the quality of the ingredients was lacking...It tasted a little like frozen pizza. Also, the place was way too hipster. I guess I'll have to continue my pilgrimages to Hamilton.
#27: recommended-chicago-deep-dish-style-piz ... 2033634/2/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4437 upvotes
I love Double Ds!
What's pizza have to do with it?

EDIT: As work too.
#allsizesmatter
Jul 20, 2012
439 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:08 pm
I have not tried this place yet, but there are some who believe the trip to Hamilton will lead you to a better pizza...

#27: recommended-chicago-deep-dish-style-piz ... 2033634/2/
Chicago Pizza Shack is worth the drive to Hamilton. The place was busy at 3 on a Sat.
It was better than Mickey's in Miss.
I couldn't eat more than 2 pieces at a time. I had leftovers for 2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8840 posts
661 upvotes
GTA
A friend got takeout from Double D's the other weekend. She said it was bad. Not good value for the money and didn't taste good.
I am still curious to try it for myself in case it was a bad day but hopefully some other RFDers will try it first.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35488 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:38 pm
A friend got takeout from Double D's the other weekend. She said it was bad. Not good value for the money and didn't taste good.
I am still curious to try it for myself in case it was a bad day but hopefully some other RFDers will try it first.
I don't think its a bad value. It seems that way... But remember this isn't really a pizza. Okay it is... But the crust is merely a method of delivery for a huge chunk of cheese and pepperoni...

Taste might not be the greatest, there are better pizza's out there. But I do enjoy the novelty of eating just cheese and pepperoni (with some crust holding it up). I'd try I once... Just so you can get a taste of deep dish pizza. But Don't think too much of it... It isn't a gourmet affair. This is just a different style of pizza that isn't common up here in Canada.

I went with a party of 4... 1 big eater, 2 semi-big eaters, 1 tiny eater. We couldn't finish the medium which was $34... Not bad.

I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Or wait in line for I like some people still do on Fri/Sat nights. I just tried it as a local that's within walking distance. I guess I didn't have the stress of a long drive (or even a short commute) to get to it. I just walked across the street on a quiet weekday to try out.

I live in the area... and it pisses me off that all the 905'ers are coming down here with their huge pickup trucks and SUV's clogging up Marjory street with their illegal parking... Also the same douche bag 905'ers hogging up the tiny parking lot of the 241/pho place next door.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
2948 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
I had it two week ago before the TFC game, its filling even the small pizza's wish the location in the west end was a little bit bigger.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13670 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto
So had it today and wasn't impressed. The crust is terrible, thin and undercooked. Don't even attempt to eat this like a pie, it will fall apart. The medium was so small. The toppings were light and the sauce was too sweet. A waste of $30. Poor attempt at Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10223 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
So had it today and wasn't impressed. The crust is terrible, thin and undercooked. Don't even attempt to eat this like a pie, it will fall apart. The medium was so small. The toppings were light and the sauce was too sweet. A waste of $30. Poor attempt at Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.
Under cooked is good enough to scare me away. $30 is the second reason.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6543 posts
919 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
Looks like they haven't improved since I tried it January. I highly recommend Chicago Style Pizza Shack in Hamilton. It's cheaper than this place, and consistently excellent.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10223 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 10:22 pm
Looks like they haven't improved since I tried it January. I highly recommend Chicago Style Pizza Shack in Hamilton. It's cheaper than this place, and consistently excellent.
People shouldn't have to travel that far. The ironic part of all this is that Double D's isn't even located in a high(er) rent district.
They should be able to afford to offer quality...it's not like they're paying shopping mall rent or Bloor st, Queen st, type rent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6543 posts
919 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 11:50 pm
People shouldn't have to travel that far. The ironic part of all this is that Double D's isn't even located in a high(er) rent district.
They should be able to afford to offer quality...it's not like they're paying shopping mall rent or Bloor st, Queen st, type rent.
They just don't have the experience. Chicago Style Pizza Shack has been around for 25+ years. And I think it's worth it to travel that far.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10223 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 12:20 am
They just don't have the experience. Chicago Style Pizza Shack has been around for 25+ years. And I think it's worth it to travel that far.
No. It's not. If they're as good as made out to be they can come to Toronto. No excuses.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6543 posts
919 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 7:30 am
No. It's not. If they're as good as made out to be they can come to Toronto. No excuses.
LOL. They can come to Toronto? They're already super successful in Hamilton so why do they have to come to Toronto? I love how you always dictate what businesses should do without knowing their circumstances.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13670 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto
Chicago Style Pizza Shack seems to have mixed reviews as well. Not really worth the 2 hr drive in total for it. I tried Mickey's Pizza a few years back and honestly it failed to live up to the hype. It wasn't even true Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, it was pan pizza. I think the problem is that not a lot of people have had the true Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago so don't really know what it is. That's why places like Mickey's and Double D's can get away with serving below par Pizzas. I am sure people will try Double D's initially, but not sure how many customers are going to go back. I don't mind paying $25-$30 for a med to large if the pizza was as authentic as possible. The problem with Double D's is that they don't know how to make a proper Deep Dish crust, look at the Yelp pictures and the crust looks so inconsistent and at times looks like it was made by a 5 year old as a school project. I also noticed that they were missing the top layer of dough which is critical to ensure that the toppings below and the sauce above don't mix causing soggy pizza. If you see Youtube videos the places in Chicago have a solid base dough with high edges followed by cheese, then toppings, another layer of cheese, maybe some more toppings, then a layer of dough like a pie, followed by sauce and then grated cheese.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel