None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4314 posts
674 upvotes
LiquidHog wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 11:33 am
That makes no sense.

Let's use a hypothetical. You have 2 identical houses side-by-side. House 1 is being sold using an agent. House 2 is being sold by the owner. You're saying that house 2 should be priced 2.5%-5% lower than house 1 to give it a "realistic selling price"?
actually, a lot of buyers expect this to be the case.

"hey, he's selling without an agent, so he's savings up to 5%. I'm only going to offer at 97.5% of ask so that we split his savings 50/50"
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1186 posts
173 upvotes
BenK wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 2:18 pm
actually, a lot of buyers expect this to be the case.

"hey, he's selling without an agent, so he's savings up to 5%. I'm only going to offer at 97.5% of ask so that we split his savings 50/50"
These days I don't see that happening... Even if the price was lower by 2000 that would be enough.. With the hot housing market people end up getting way more than asking so if anything you would assume offering asking price is fair
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
awais wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 3:31 pm
These days I don't see that happening... Even if the price was lower by 2000 that would be enough.. With the hot housing market people end up getting way more than asking so if anything you would assume offering asking price is fair
The market isn't hot everywhere. Here in Ottawa I would definitely expect to get a break on the price based on them not paying a realtor. I would build that into my offer (discount the offer).
Nov 25, 2015
19 posts
13 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
kareshi wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 4:03 pm
i am interested to know some buyer's experience with their buying service. it seems a great deal
I just sold my home with comfree on March 29th 2016

Location - Brant, Ontario (Rural Property)
Details
- 12 year old custom built home on 2 acres zoned commercial
- 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 4 car garage
- Asking price $519,999 and sold for $510,000. House sold in 2 months and 29 days.

Signed up for a comfree promotion. $599 for MLS listing and comfree sale package. $1800 for Offer Assist when a sale is completed (com free agent negotiates and completes all paperwork)

I also had to pay a 2.5% commision to the buyers agent plus HST. $14,xxx. In my scenario i saved just over $10,000 selling through comfree. For our family, we used this savings to buy a used vehicle.

You have to show your own home and field calls from prospective buyers. I found this an advantage as you can give all the details directly to buyer/agent and not have to play the telephone game. Buyers agent calls to request a showing and instead of leaving the house you stay and show it with them.

Overall a great experience but you have to know what you are doing and be confident when discussing with buyers/agents. I bought through com free also. Comfree takes a flat fee of $5000 as your buyers agent. The remaining commsion is given to you!!!

I bought a $500,000 home in Brantford and the sellers agent was offering 2.5% to the buyers agent. Thats $12500. Comfree keeps $5000 and they wrote me a cheque for the remaining $7500. You can't go wrong with free money. Better in your pocket then in your agents.

I would highly recommend Comfree. The real estate market is changing with the availability of the Realtor/MLS app. You no longer need an agent to search homes when you can search at your fingertips.
Oct 10, 2012
52 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge
likethewine wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 3:00 pm
I just sold my home with comfree on March 29th 2016

Signed up for a comfree promotion. $599 for MLS listing and comfree sale package. $1800 for Offer Assist when a sale is completed (com free agent negotiates and completes all paperwork)

I also had to pay a 2.5% commision to the buyers agent plus HST. $14,xxx. In my scenario i saved just over $10,000 selling through comfree. For our family, we used this savings to buy a used vehicle.

Overall a great experience but you have to know what you are doing and be confident when discussing with buyers/agents. I bought through com free also. Comfree takes a flat fee of $5000 as your buyers agent. The remaining commsion is given to you!!!
So great to read this.

My wife and I are planning to sell our townhouse in Woodbridge with Comfree next winter. It just seems nuts to me to be losing a full $30k to real estate agents when a competent individual can do half the work IF THEY CHOOSE. I was worried about selling in Jan-Feb until I saw battles for properties in our neighbourhood this past winter.... most selling for 50-$100k over asking. Just crazy.

I used to stress about this upcoming sale. Now I'm looking forward to it.
Oct 27, 2013
146 posts
29 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Fsbo can work. But like some have said the majority of people are clueless so they get burned. And some fsbo sellers think their house is worth a lot more than market value so the property becomes stagnant.

I used comfree 2 years ago to sell my executive town in a 20 unit complex. Another unit in my complex had been listed by an agent for 1 month when I listed mine and was even $25k cheaper than mine. Granted location was not as desirable but these were only 4 yr old towns so everything inside was updated. I sold mine for asking in 1.5 weeks with 2 offers. Btw the buyer had viewed the other property and noted it was not staged as well as ours. I don't think the agent could have helped them much in that situation. But to each their own. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
172 upvotes
Arviat
LiquidHog wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 11:33 am
That makes no sense.

Let's use a hypothetical. You have 2 identical houses side-by-side. House 1 is being sold using an agent. House 2 is being sold by the owner. You're saying that house 2 should be priced 2.5%-5% lower than house 1 to give it a "realistic selling price"?
Yep most people don't bother with fsbo. And those that sell typically sell for way less than it would with an agent. Why do you think 90% of people use agents? There's one in Ajax now that has been on the market over a month, the house next door sold in 2 days with an agent, and this fsbo is asking the same as his neighbor so it's not like he is overpriced and the houses are basically the same....I don't know why anyone would want to put themselves through that stress, then having to deal with tire kickers and lowballers. No thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
172 upvotes
Arviat
wormburner wrote:
May 27th, 2016 8:53 pm
So great to read this.

My wife and I are planning to sell our townhouse in Woodbridge with Comfree next winter. It just seems nuts to me to be losing a full $30k to real estate agents when a competent individual can do half the work IF THEY CHOOSE. I was worried about selling in Jan-Feb until I saw battles for properties in our neighbourhood this past winter.... most selling for 50-$100k over asking. Just crazy.

I used to stress about this upcoming sale. Now I'm looking forward to it.
You're very optimistic , keep in mind the market changes on a daily basis, just because the past winter saw high sales doesn't mean this winter will...you're taking a gamble but my advice would be to wait until spring.
Oct 10, 2012
52 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 27th, 2016 11:36 pm
You're very optimistic , keep in mind the market changes on a daily basis, just because the past winter saw high sales doesn't mean this winter will...you're taking a gamble but my advice would be to wait until spring.
Actually, I think we're being very realistic about it. So long as we price our place at market - or even slightly below - and stage it properly, I'm confident we can sell it without the help of a selling agent. The commissions they ask are criminal. Pictures, marketing, staging and viewings for $14- 17 grand? What a racket! And so unnecessary when selling in a hot market like the GTA.

That said, I do wish we could wait till spring, but our new place closes in the winter.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2566 posts
298 upvotes
BC
wormburner wrote:
May 27th, 2016 11:58 pm
Actually, I think we're being very realistic about it. So long as we price our place at market - or even slightly below - and stage it properly, I'm confident we can sell it without the help of a selling agent. The commissions they ask are criminal. Pictures, marketing, staging and viewings for $14- 17 grand? What a racket! And so unnecessary when selling in a hot market like the GTA.

That said, I do wish we could wait till spring, but our new place closes in the winter.
I've seen a realtor in multiple offers drive up the price 100K in a few minutes. In this crazy market, a realtor is even more important than ever.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
172 upvotes
Arviat
wormburner wrote:
May 27th, 2016 11:58 pm

When a realtor is getting you 50-100k over what you would get selling on your own 14k is literally a drop in the bucket. To each their own though.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
172 upvotes
Arviat
Ren wrote:
May 28th, 2016 1:41 am
I've seen a realtor in multiple offers drive up the price 100K in a few minutes. In this crazy market, a realtor is even more important than ever.
It's not the realtor it's supply and demand. But it certainly helps having someone who can negotiate and get the most $ ...something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it. Everyone complains until they're the seller making $.
Nov 25, 2015
19 posts
13 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
You definitely have to have some knowledge when using a fsbo. I had 3 independent agents perform Comparative Market Analysis. I also had a friend of the family who is a broker with 30yrs experience. trying to convince me not to sell on my own.

CMAs were important as my house did not have many comparable properties. CMAS averaged between 475k and 535k I listed at 527k. Lowered to 520k 2 months in and sold for asking price.
Nov 25, 2015
19 posts
13 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:45 am
It's not the realtor it's supply and demand. But it certainly helps having someone who can negotiate and get the most $ ...something is only worth what another is willing to pay for it. Everyone complains until they're the seller making $.
Comfree.com offers an offer assist package where a licensed realtor performs all negotiations and paperwork.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
172 upvotes
Arviat
likethewine wrote:
May 28th, 2016 10:17 am
Comfree.com offers an offer assist package where a licensed realtor performs all negotiations and paperwork.
Legal aid gives free lawyers too. Lmao. You get what you pay for.