None
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1054 posts
173 upvotes
Arviat
likethewine wrote:
May 28th, 2016 10:12 am
You definitely have to have some knowledge when using a fsbo. I had 3 independent agents perform Comparative Market Analysis. I also had a friend of the family who is a broker with 30yrs experience. trying to convince me not to sell on my own.

CMAs were important as my house did not have many comparable properties. CMAS averaged between 475k and 535k I listed at 527k. Lowered to 520k 2 months in and sold for asking price.
So it took you 2 months and a price drop to sell and you think that was a good move? SMH
Oct 10, 2012
54 posts
18 upvotes
Woodbridge
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 10:29 am
Legal aid gives free lawyers too. Lmao. You get what you pay for.
Spoken like a true realtor.
Got to be ready to deal with this nonsense when you decide to do the work yourself. But more people are realizing that the traditional realtor model is archaic and flat out robbery. Do they offer a service? Yes. But they rape homeowners for their own benefit.
5%... bite me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1054 posts
173 upvotes
Arviat
wormburner wrote:
May 28th, 2016 12:09 pm
Spoken like a true realtor.
Got to be ready to deal with this nonsense when you decide to do the work yourself. But more people are realizing that the traditional realtor model is archaic and flat out robbery. Do they offer a service? Yes. But they rape homeowners for their own benefit.
5%... bite me.
Gosh that's cold the average realtor is just trying to make a living! I have children to feed not a Mercedes to service . The hate is just insane to me. And you're still going to have to pay 2.5% to who ever brings you a buyer, and just like most fsbo your house will languish for a long time on the market people will wonder what's wrong with it, and you may get asking price or slightly lower. If that makes you happy then have at it my dear and good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5029 posts
573 upvotes
I find that Comefree listings are usually too high for the area.

Generally people trying to save on the realtor fees are pushing extra hard for every dollar and end up with some bizarre home valuations (most of the ones I have seen for my area are asking for all time high prices for their homes, while clearly not being the nicest in the community)
Nov 25, 2015
19 posts
15 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 2:16 pm
Gosh that's cold the average realtor is just trying to make a living! I have children to feed not a Mercedes to service . The hate is just insane to me. And you're still going to have to pay 2.5% to who ever brings you a buyer, and just like most fsbo your house will languish for a long time on the market people will wonder what's wrong with it, and you may get asking price or slightly lower. If that makes you happy then have at it my dear and good luck!
What do you get for 2.5% of the selling price? I had a very professional realtor from comfree visit my home,take pictures, measure rooms and install the sign in approx 1 hour. Later that night all my pictures and info were uploaded to the site and the next day my listing was on mls.

While on the market I received phone calls to my cell from interested buyers instead of an agent who can screen people and relay info to me.

I stay home to show the home myself and answer all buyers questions instead of telephone game between the realtora.

Comfree realtor from Offer Assist calls to inform me I have an offer and helps negotiate and facilitate the sale.

2.5% OF 500K is $12500 plus 13%HAT

I am a college graduate who has 15 yrs experience in a Manufacturing field where I currently manage a department of 6 college educated professionals.

It takes me 2 months of work for 40 hrs a week to make $12500.

I don't think the most difficult of sales could take 320hrs of a realtors time. As a realtor how can you explain to me that I should pay you my hard earned money that took me 320hrs to make and you only do a couple of hours of work?

The real estate filed is littered with part time agents that prey on their friends and family like Avon sales people. All these agents playing the lottery hoping to win someones 2.5%.

The real estate field is changing fast. The current 5% business model is as archaic as BlockbusterVideo
Nov 25, 2015
19 posts
15 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 2:16 pm
What do you get for 2.5% of the selling price? I had a very professional realtor from comfree visit my home,take pictures, measure rooms and install the sign in approx 1 hour. Later that night all my pictures and info were uploaded to the site and the next day my listing was on mls.

While on the market I received phone calls to my cell from interested buyers instead of an agent who can screen people and relay info to me.

I stay home to show the home myself and answer all buyers questions instead of telephone game between the realtors.

Comfree realtor from Offer Assist calls to inform me I have an offer and helps negotiate and facilitate the sale.

2.5% OF 500K is $12500 plus 13%HST

I am a college graduate who has 15 yrs experience in a Manufacturing field where I currently manage a department of 6 college educated professionals.

I don't think the most difficult of sales could take 320hrs of a realtors time. As a realtor how can you explain to me that I should pay you my hard earned money that took me 320hrs to make and you only do a couple of hours of work?

The real estate filed is littered with part time agents that prey on their friends and family like Avon sales people. All these agents playing the lottery hoping to win someones 2.5%.

The real estate field is changing fast. The current 5% business model is as archaic as Blockbuster Video.

I had realtors showing my house telling me that they would sell my house for free as long as I signed a buyers agreement with them so they could at least get the 2.5% from the seller on my purchase.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1054 posts
173 upvotes
Arviat
likethewine wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:42 pm

I stay home to show the home myself and answer all buyers questions instead of telephone game between the realtora.

The real estate field is changing fast. The current 5% business model is as archaic as Blockbuster Video.

I had realtors showing my house telling me that they would sell my house for free as long as I signed a buyers agreement with them so they could at least get the 2.5% from the seller on my purchase.
Buyers agents work really hard and showing countless houses to people on a daily basis is pretty exhausting, someone putting in an offer on one place that agent could've been working with them for 6 months before getting that commission. Anyway to each their own not every realtor is a slimy lazy scumbag that does 5 minutes of work and gets paid 50k and drive around in a Porsche looking for the next home owner to prey on. It's a business like everything else and a few bad apples spoil it for the bunch.
Oct 27, 2013
149 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
likethewine wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:38 pm

The real estate field is changing fast. The current 5% business model is as archaic as BlockbusterVideo
I wish I could give this post two thumbs up.
Oct 27, 2013
149 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 8:05 pm
Buyers agents work really hard and showing countless houses to people on a daily basis is pretty exhausting, someone putting in an offer on one place that agent could've been working with them for 6 months before getting that commission. Anyway to each their own not every realtor is a slimy lazy scumbag that does 5 minutes of work and gets paid 50k and drive around in a Porsche looking for the next home owner to prey on. It's a business like everything else and a few bad apples spoil it for the bunch.
I absolutely agree with you about slimy lazy scumbags in real estate. However I disagree in that there are many bad apples in real estate that spoil it for the few of you.

And I might ad the point gently eluded to by likethewine is that its an industry who's key purpose is not to help you find a home but to sell you one by making you feel rich (drive BMWs, on the golf course, flying to Vegas for the weekend) so that when push comes to shove you trust thee who beholdith thy gratification.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1983 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
likethewine wrote:
May 28th, 2016 7:42 pm

+1 it is changing. Travel agents are now a rarer breed since online travel sites allow one to buy vacations and online discount brokerages have pushed many Financial advisors more into the fee for service model including charging by the hour. It's a matter of time before this happens in Real Estate sales as well. So what's a fair hourly rate for a Real Estate Pro? $100 or $200 per hour? The market will ultimately decide.
Jun 10, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Etobicoke, ON
I don't understand while some people toot their horn how they used comfree or sold privately and saved 10k when using an agent they could have sold for 20-30 more if not even above that.

I think people have to remember that it's the net money earned in your pocket after all commissions are paid out.

Do you think the agent working for comfree is the best negotiator or would a top agent in the area earn you the extra money.

I pay for service and want the most cash out. That's their job so pay the pro.

Agents aren't going anywhere. There are enough in the city - pick a good one for heavens sake.

Is everyone worried about the pride of selling privately or is it the money in commissions paid even though you lost net money in the end. To each their own.
Mar 29, 2006
382 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of the sellers now set a fixed date for offer presentation. Will Comfree's $1800 Offer Assist package work for the fixed day offer? Thanks so much.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1566 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
I had a friend that used comfree to sell his condo. Used the sellers assist . saved him 7,000!!!!

CBC Marketplace did a bit on realtors last week. 6/10 were caught on camera breaking realtor rules such as saying they can guarantee the buyer to win or have the best price.

i call BS that a realtor will get you more money . There is just as big a chance that a realtor is gonna try and double dip and screw you over as there is get you more money.*edit* trying to point out there is no guarantee a realtor will get you more money...