• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2011 5:07 pm
Tags:
None
May 17, 2006
234 posts
2 upvotes

Anyone use extreme fitness?

im thinking about joining because its the only gym thats really close to my house. I hear from different people paying $40-$100 a month, if anyone is extreme fitness, how much do you pay and how can i get the cheapest deal?
62 replies
Aug 26, 2006
107 posts
GTA
I'm paying $45, + signup fee, don't remember what it was. That's a 1 year contract, and I get one month free.
Overall, it's ok.. lot's of cardio machines, but the free weight area isn't the greatest, my previous gym had better one, and was cheaper.
Jul 7, 2006
392 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Extreme has its flaws but overall, I would say it's a half-decent gym...hellava lot better than the SCAM called Premier Fitness.

I basically ended up paying $390/year (i'm including the free months I got) for the VIP membership. Don't ask how I got it, but basically, it involves connections with the people higher up. Since, they've done a lot of upgrades now, i highly doubt my renewal rates are gonna stay the same.

also one more piece of important advice. They will judge your membership rate based on the individual, YOU. if you look like one of those scrawny pasty dudes (or unfit, overweight guys) dying to get a membership, they will smoke you every way they can and add nice little gifts like "fitness test", "body fat % level" for a mere $90. They'll put you on nice little treatments with a PT just to squeeze every penny out of you. They'll pressure you hard enough until you give up.

if you look toned, buffed, or like someone who goes to the gym regularly, and look disinterested at their offers (instead of showing signs of desparation), you'll have a better chance of negotiating a better deal. Keep in mind, most gyms are like this, not just extreme, and it's part of the business.

Bring someone with you if you can if you are going to negotiate for a 1 year contract.
My Feedback: =475260]HEATWARE | eBay: 421-3-0

Unofficial RFD Slogan: "Helping people save money on things they will never need/use."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
God_Anubis wrote: Extreme has its flaws but overall, I would say it's a half-decent gym...hellava lot better than the SCAM called Premier Fitness.

I basically ended up paying $390/year (i'm including the free months I got) for the VIP membership. Don't ask how I got it, but basically, it involves connections with the people higher up. Since, they've done a lot of upgrades now, i highly doubt my renewal rates are gonna stay the same.

also one more piece of important advice. They will judge your membership rate based on the individual, YOU. if you look like one of those scrawny pasty dudes (or unfit, overweight guys) dying to get a membership, they will smoke you every way they can and add nice little gifts like "fitness test", "body fat % level" for a mere $90. They'll put you on nice little treatments with a PT just to squeeze every penny out of you. They'll pressure you hard enough until you give up.

if you look toned, buffed, or like someone who goes to the gym regularly, and look disinterested at their offers (instead of showing signs of desparation), you'll have a better chance of negotiating a better deal. Keep in mind, most gyms are like this, not just extreme, and it's part of the business.

Bring someone with you if you can if you are going to negotiate for a 1 year contract.
+1. Try to come in on a referral. More than likely you will be offered the same deal as they have.
May 17, 2006
234 posts
2 upvotes
if i bring people with me to sign a 1 year deal, they'll give a discount?
Apr 16, 2007
19 posts
I have a platinum membership with Extreme, and I'm paying $76 a month (ouch!). The platinum membership allows access to all of the clubs in the GTA, and because my work is client-based, it allows me to go to the gym more conveniently.

I think the best time to sign up for gym deals is after New Years -- they always have crazy deals to try to catch all of those New Years resolutions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
Lai-yee wrote: I have a platinum membership with Extreme, and I'm paying $76 a month (ouch!). The platinum membership allows access to all of the clubs in the GTA, and because my work is client-based, it allows me to go to the gym more conveniently.

I think the best time to sign up for gym deals is after New Years -- they always have crazy deals to try to catch all of those New Years resolutions.

Wow, you're getting raped!
I was paying $49.99 for your same membership and I actually just cancelled today since my contract has already expired. I wanted to get them to lower the rate but they actually wanted to increase it so I left.lol
I'll find somewhere cheaper.

Did you not bargain at all when you joined??
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
i pay 45 a month for the corporate vip that allows me to go to any of their locations actually...

i must admit the one i go to which is yonge and sheppard has some eye candy but when i'm training my wife i have to fight the urge to stare...lol
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2006
1335 posts
Rocketo wrote: i pay 45 a month for the corporate vip that allows me to go to any of their locations actually...

i must admit the one i go to which is yonge and sheppard has some eye candy but when i'm training my wife i have to fight the urge to stare...lol
I've become an expert at the "Quick Glance".

I used to go to a more private gym (ie. only one location) however I switched to Goodlife a few months ago. To my surprise, I've been very happy with them. My location is fairly new therefore the facility and equipment are quite good. The only thing I don't like is that it can get pretty busy on hectic days like Monday nights and I wish they had a tad more benches and squat racks (not smith machines). I don't really use machines but they have plenty. I only pay like 28/month with my corporate plan. Best of all, they have locations everywhere which are all accessible. Try to find someone with corporate access and you'll save a lot.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
skewed wrote: I've become an expert at the "Quick Glance".

I used to go to a more private gym (ie. only one location) however I switched to Goodlife a few months ago. To my surprise, I've been very happy with them. My location is fairly new therefore the facility and equipment are quite good. The only thing I don't like is that it can get pretty busy on hectic days like Monday nights and I wish they had a tad more benches and squat racks (not smith machines). I don't really use machines but they have plenty. I only pay like 28/month with my corporate plan. Best of all, they have locations everywhere which are all accessible. Try to find someone with corporate access and you'll save a lot.

oddly with the loblaws corporate i can get it for 25 a month for good life....and they actually have a good life in the office...but yeah i chose extreme because it's close to home and well good life isn't that close to where we live...yeah i use the mirror too as the means to look..so they don't know :D
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2006
1335 posts
In the end, it's all about location. I have a Goodlife near my work and home. I always prefer the home one since I'd rather beat the traffic driving from work, relax and walk to the one near my home.
Sep 10, 2007
1 posts
I entered myself and my boyfriend in a contest to win a free 12 month membership. The very next day after dropping our names in the box, they called my boyfriend to tell him that he'd won the second place prize - a 3 month membership. He went down there to pick up his prize, and they told him that in order to take advantage of the prize, he had to sign up for a 12 month membership at $76/month. He told them that I was already a member and was paying much less....in the end he got the same rate I'm paying but he had to forfeit his "prize".

He was going to join a gym even if he hadn't "won", but I'm really annoyed at this so called contest. It's not very fair, and it seems to be ongoing because the very same contest box is back with a fresh set of entry forms. It's just an evil ploy to get you to sign up.

I'm also annoyed that towel service isn't free (at least not for me).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
maniacmich wrote: I entered myself and my boyfriend in a contest to win a free 12 month membership. The very next day after dropping our names in the box, they called my boyfriend to tell him that he'd won the second place prize - a 3 month membership. He went down there to pick up his prize, and they told him that in order to take advantage of the prize, he had to sign up for a 12 month membership at $76/month. He told them that I was already a member and was paying much less....in the end he got the same rate I'm paying but he had to forfeit his "prize".

He was going to join a gym even if he hadn't "won", but I'm really annoyed at this so called contest. It's not very fair, and it seems to be ongoing because the very same contest box is back with a fresh set of entry forms. It's just an evil ploy to get you to sign up.

I'm also annoyed that towel service isn't free (at least not for me).
i thought everyone gets towels? well atleast i do
Feb 25, 2008
3 posts
I've spoken to managers at the Yonge/Eg location and they told me that even if I find other members paying less than me they won't honour the lower prices. How is that? Basically they are being unfair and I want out of the contract. I am paying $79.00/mth (taxes incl.) until September 2008 (inclusive). I want to transfer the account. Anyone know how I can go about getting out of this? The gym is nice don't get me wrong, but I am busy and hardly have time to go (1/wk currently) and more importantly could use the extra cash for going to a cheaper gym. They gave me 3 months free so which I've already used.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
35 upvotes
wetsnot wrote: $410 for the year taxes included.
did you pay that upfront? how many locations? I would rather pay a year upfront, as I don't want them taking $ from my CC or bank acct.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1312 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
maniacmich wrote: I entered myself and my boyfriend in a contest to win a free 12 month membership. The very next day after dropping our names in the box, they called my boyfriend to tell him that he'd won the second place prize - a 3 month membership. He went down there to pick up his prize, and they told him that in order to take advantage of the prize, he had to sign up for a 12 month membership at $76/month.
same scheme happened to me. my bro entered me for some eaton centre store contest that includes xtreme membership. Lo and behold, I was the winner of this 3month membership ;) the girl on the phone insisted I get down there asap to "claim the prize". I smelled her desperation and never went. Now I'm getting wkly calls from xtreme fitness.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1804 posts
348 upvotes
GTA
by far goodlife is the best... use anyone of their gym ( not including union station one ) .. i got a LOW rate from back in the day .. been a member for years ! ...no matter where i go theres always one close by ( gta )
Nov 23, 2006
231 posts
5 upvotes
czcdn wrote: I've spoken to managers at the Yonge/Eg location and they told me that even if I find other members paying less than me they won't honour the lower prices. How is that? Basically they are being unfair and I want out of the contract. I am paying $79.00/mth (taxes incl.) until September 2008 (inclusive). I want to transfer the account. Anyone know how I can go about getting out of this? The gym is nice don't get me wrong, but I am busy and hardly have time to go (1/wk currently) and more importantly could use the extra cash for going to a cheaper gym. They gave me 3 months free so which I've already used.
There is no way out unfortunately. Just tell them that you have a staph infection and that your doctor suggested that you shouldn't go to puplic gyms :P