• Jun 6th, 2011 8:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19754 posts
1481 upvotes

Anyone use this "Salt Eraser" product?

So I've seen this new product which sells at Partsource/CT, called Salt Eraser... It's an aerosol product meant to, well, erase salt stains from carpet/upholstery in your car.

I have some rather stubborn salt stains in my car that will not come out :mad: even after using various products and even after using a Little Green Clean Machine (the stains go away when cleaning from the water but just reappear when the carpet dries!). I mean I've made them better but they are not gone.

I hear the solution is to use vinegar but I don't want to use vinegar because vinegar [literally] stinks! And I don't want to stink up my car. So I've been kinda holding back on the acetic acid there but I guess I will use it as a last resort.

However this product looks interesting, has anyone used it and had any success? Also, I hope it's not just a can of spray vinegar :|

Edit here is a link to the manufacturer:
http://www.lubco.ca/salt_eraser.php
22 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1043 posts
40 upvotes
Have not used it. But I just use a steamer and it gets the salt out well.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1015 posts
123 upvotes
Burlington
I just cleaned 90% of the salt stains off the carpet in my car last weekend just by scrubbing the carpet with a brush and sucking up the salt particles with my vacuum. No water or cleaning products were used at all.

I might need to use some kind of product like Salt Eraser to get it 100% clean though.
Apr 15, 2010
214 posts
GTA - West
have you tried dishwashing liquid with water? it worked for me...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19754 posts
1481 upvotes
rupert wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 10:59 am
Have not used it. But I just use a steamer and it gets the salt out well.
Phantasm wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 12:30 pm
I just cleaned 90% of the salt stains off the carpet in my car last weekend just by scrubbing the carpet with a brush and sucking up the salt particles with my vacuum. No water or cleaning products were used at all.

I might need to use some kind of product like Salt Eraser to get it 100% clean though.
chipotlecheapo wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 1:32 pm
have you tried dishwashing liquid with water? it worked for me...
Tried all that stuff guys, well the LGCM wasn't exactly a steamer but I used hot water in it. The dry scrubbing won't remove all the salt (that was my first move) and the wet cleaning methods all seem to take away the salt but then when it dries you can still see it. I've tried on several occasions--scrubbing, not-scrubbing (blotting), different soaps, cleaning solutions. It's a bit annoying at this point! I mean it's not bad, but it's still there and I don't want it to be there, lol.

I never had this problem with other carpets but this one seems to like to retain the salt. Oh yeah that and I guess I never scotchguarded it like I have with previous vehicles :( I'm going to do that this spring of course, but I have to actually get the salt lines out before I can go to the step of protecting the fabric.

I guess I should buy a can of this stuff and be the guinea pig...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
yea i would like to know too!

i have the same problem as you...

btw people kept telling me to use vinegar to get rid of the stains and use the normal carpet cleaner to clear the smell

but yea, saw it on sale at partsource.. try it and out and please let us know :)
--
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Hi All!

I'm j/ reviving this post and see if this product works?
cuz what i usually use is pouring boiling hot water to
the crystal salt area, scrub scrub scrub, and then
immediately vacuum it up w/ a dry/vac....and repeat to
other severe area....

anyone tried these stuff yet? it's on sale @ local CT~
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1225 posts
149 upvotes
Seriously, you're told that vinegar works, but you won't try it because of the smell?

Just sayin.. (I have successfully rid my car interior of all its salt stains with vinegar last season, the smell goes away).
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1219 posts
82 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 1:44 pm
I never had this problem with other carpets but this one seems to like to retain the salt. Oh yeah that and I guess I never scotchguarded it like I have with previous vehicles :( I'm going to do that this spring of course, but I have to actually get the salt lines out before I can go to the step of protecting the fabric.
I don't have any amazing tip to help you get your salt out (sorry) - but I did wonder about the scotchguarding. Did you just do it yourself? Is all you do is buy cans of it and then spray the fabrics you want to protect? (Been looking into a new car and rather than spend hundreds at a dealer, if it's $20 worth of stuff I can do myself...)

Best of luck getting the carpets to where you want them to be.
Feb 14, 2008
236 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Hot water in a spray bottle and a brush has always worked for me, and it takes very little effort.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
Curious as well!!

I will buy some soon and try it out if anything, for 5$ a can, whatever.

Guy at work claims 'its amazing' and 'easy' - no more hot water & wetvac apparently. Not like this takes long either, but i wouldn't have to detail using these extra steps. :razz:
Feb 4, 2005
411 posts
I bought this today and used it on my mats. It did work, but I don't know if it works any better than soap and and hot water that I usually use. I bought it from Canadian Tire today because it was on sale. One thing I would say is that there is not very much in the can. I think if there was a fair bit of salt inside your car, you may need more than 1 can. I used up the whole can in about 15 mins and my mats were not that stained at all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
I've used a simoniz version of that. it's ok. But I'd rather spray water like mist, then use a steamer, then vacuum. then use rug shampoo. saves some $.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2120 posts
71 upvotes
During the winter, even though I have rubber mats, I put bunch of newspaper around the floor [I know it's messy, but it protects my car] and when it gets dirty/wet, I change it which I do weekly.

So far I had no ink transfer or anything through the carpet. :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2581 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it 2 days ago. used this this mornign, works pretty good and no odour.
× < >