Home & Garden

Anyone used RUST-OLEUM Cabinet Transformations Wood Refinishing Kit?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2013 7:25 am
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2008
494 posts
126 upvotes
Pickering
Finally decided that I will give this a go on the kitchen cabinets starting this weekend.

cdooer, what colour did you use in the kitchen (pic in post #30)? I am leaning towards Espresso myself but deciding between that and Kona.

Are there any in store samples to see how the colours look?

For those who have used this product:

Are there any other supplies you would suggest picking up (brushes etc.)

Any tips or suggestions for a great end result or other things to be aware of?
[OP]
May 23, 2006
529 posts
52 upvotes
We used Rustic. It's turning out a bit darker then the sample, but it's looking great. Go to the rust-oleum website and go through the gallery of user submitted pics. This will give you a good idea of what the colours actually look like when they're on the cabinets.

The only real painful part is applying the top coat. It can be streaky if you don't get it just right. If I've got one tip, it's to Google "Rust-Oleum top coat video", and look for the video where the guy shows how he puts the top coat on, then quickly goes over it with a foam brush. That works really well.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Phat, Lowes has actual samples hanging on the rack with the kits of all the colors.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Banned
May 13, 2012
48 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello everyone, I'm planning on using Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation on my kitchen cabinets. Presently I have a birch like color on the cabinets with stainless appliances. I'm wondering which color will suit best. Toying with the idea of choclate or white. Would have certainly preferred white since its a small kitchen and a light color will give a more open look. But then I also realize that I will lose all the visible wood grain with these colors. Anyone tried Toasted Almond? Which color is more in "fashion" today? Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Banned
May 13, 2012
48 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Also if anyone is interested, Rustoleum is coming on sale at Canadian Tire this Friday :)
× < >