• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 6:59 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
750 posts
38 upvotes
Coquitlam

Anyone using Private Internet Access with Frostwire? - Very slow

I downloaded PIA and my download speeds on Frostwire have decreased from 1500 KB/S down to 50 to 150 KB/S. I emailed PIA for help but they responded back that they couldn't offer much help in regards to third party torrents. For those that have PIA and are using Frostwire how have you configured PIA (or Frostwire) to maximize your download speeds?
6 replies
Jan 5, 2003
603 posts
40 upvotes
I don't use Frostwire so can't offer any help with configuration, but I experienced the same low speeds with any of the torrent clients I've tried over a couple of years of being with PIA. Attempted to "fix" this with various configuration changes suggested on the internet, but didn't see any speed increase.

After I switched from torrents back to newsgroups, the download speeds I am seeing now are way better - often so fast they saturate my 150 mb/s connection. I have no idea what is different about newsgroups to account for this, or whether other PIA users may or may not have the same experience. Just sharing my observations with you.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
750 posts
38 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the response Igor!

I am finding PIA very inconsistent in speeds when using Frostwire. It usually downloads at 20 to 50 KB/s but then can occassionally shoot up to 2,000 KB/s or even faster. I haven't used newsgroups before for downloading movies. Is there a good newsgroup program that you recommend for downloading that is easy to use?
Jan 5, 2003
603 posts
40 upvotes
Newsgroups are a bit more complicated than torrents to set up and usually require a monthly (US $5-10) cost to use a newsgroups provider. But, since you don't really upload anything when grabbing newsgroups downloads, you arguably don't need to use a VPN anymore, so the cost kinda balances out.

You may want to check out SABnzbd for grabbing newsgroup downloads, PFMonkey.com or similar indexer site and a combination of Sonarr/SickBeard for automatically downloading new episodes of TV shows. This may sound unnecessarily complicated but there are plenty of how-to's on the net and once you've spent a couple of hours reading and playing with the settings, you should have a very smooth running system with very fast downloads.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28802 posts
922 upvotes
Fernando Po
If for movies and shows why not Exodus on Kodi?
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
750 posts
38 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the responses everyone. Even though the PIA slows down Frostwire by 90% or more I think I will for simplicity sake just keep PIA.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1838 posts
1142 upvotes
Montreal
Have you run actual tests by downloading the same file with/without PIA? For example, when downloading the Ubuntu torrent without the VPN, I can reach 2.3 MB/s but through a VPN 2 MB/s. I have a 25mbit down connection and on Wi-Fi.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel