[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2820 posts
51 upvotes
Markham

Anyone waiting for their A7 iii?

hey guys

I "reserved" an A7 iii at Henrys. They didn't ask for deposit which I found odd. The body only is backordered by 300+. The body + kit lens is back ordered by 80~.

Anyone else waiting for theirs? How long does this usually take?

Upgrading from my 10 year old Canon 50D. Getting rid of the Canon system: 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 ii, 60mm Macro.

First lens for Sony will probably be 55mm 1.8 Zeiss.

Excited but will miss the Canon 70-200L 2.8. Maybe adapt it?
109 replies
Aug 3, 2011
814 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Keep calling Henrys and Vistek. You might bump into one which is spare or the buyer denied pickup.
At least I got lucky this way, Vistek had a spare as they ordered two for one client and my call timing was good. They gave me a small window to come and pickup.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
If the wait is that long, I would just wait for Sony to offer a sale on the A7III.

That's when I picked up my A7R3, when the stock finally came through and Sont started their trade in event.

I wouldn't adapt your lenses, better to go with native since it will help with the EyeAF.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
They probably didn't take a deposit since they know it is a hot seller and they know there will be other people ready to take your spot if you don't complete the sale and is not like they ordered it in just for you.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
May 29th, 2018 8:07 pm
They probably didn't take a deposit since they know it is a hot seller and they know there will be other people ready to take your spot if you don't complete the sale and is not like they ordered it in just for you.
I don't think anyone takes deposits for camera gear.

I ordered the new DJi Ronin S from Adorama today and all they took was a $1.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
Probably depends on their relationship with the distributor, how likely they may be able to return it back or if it is an item they could easily sell to someone else so they are could treat it as restocking, instead of custom ordering it in.

The real test may be is if you try to order a hasselblad and see if they will require a deposit.Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
rebel_rfd wrote:
May 29th, 2018 11:33 pm
I don't think anyone takes deposits for camera gear.

I ordered the new DJi Ronin S from Adorama today and all they took was a $1.
Last edited by hdom on May 30th, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
On a side note, I got my SmallRig L Bracket for my A7R3 today.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2820 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
May 30th, 2018 10:44 pm
On a side note, I got my SmallRig L Bracket for my A7R3 today.
What kind of video you produce?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2820 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
Shot some photos with current 10 year old setup (Canon 50D, 70-200 F2.8 II). Photos came out amazing.

Is the A7iii really different? Body + Sony 70-200mm will cost $6.5k. WTF.......I'm just an enthusiastic shooter (10+ years)

The body is well priced, maybe attach a 55mm Zeiss for like 1.5k extra. But to replace the Canon 70-200 F2.8 ii with Sony equivalent, it's making me second guess this whole "switch to Sony" thing.

$6.5k for just some photos...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 10:49 pm
What kind of video you produce?
Real Estate and Engagements, trying to dabble in wedding as a secondary.

But I got the SmallRig L bracket since I needed a bit more volume to the body for my pinky. I didn't want to get the Sony grip.

Since the A7 series has silent shutter, I started doing timelapses since it won't wear down the mechanical shutter.

However it's been a process. Sony removed the built in intervalometer. So I had to find a third party that can actually trigger focus and shutter.

I also just picked up a motorized three axis slider. It does slide, tilt and pan.

To solve the issue of hyperlapses, I've been waiting on the Ronin S. I was going to get the Tilta G2X but the Ronin S is cheaper and offers more options. Adorama expects to ship it by June 11th.

Plus the Ronin will be easier to carry for travel based timelapses.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 11:00 pm
Shot some photos with current 10 year old setup (Canon 50D, 70-200 F2.8 II). Photos came out amazing.

Is the A7iii really different? Body + Sony 70-200mm will cost $6.5k. WTF.......I'm just an enthusiastic shooter (10+ years)

The body is well priced, maybe attach a 55mm Zeiss for like 1.5k extra. But to replace the Canon 70-200 F2.8 ii with Sony equivalent, it's making me second guess this whole "switch to Sony" thing.

$6.5k for just some photos...
Depends on what you shoot.

I dumped all my Canon Gear, so a brand new 6D Mark 2, Canon 24-70 Mark 2, Canon 70-200 Mark 2, Canon 16-35 Mark 3, so the 2.8 trinity zooms.

The 6D2 only offered a slightly better focus system than the 6D, but crippled compared to Sony.

Plus you should play with the A7III/R3 files. The dynamic range is RIDICULOUS. Even a ill timed shot you can recover.

Don't forget you also get image stabilization on every lens due to body stabilization.

I felt held back by Canon for landscapes and cityscapes. My option was to pay the price of the A7R3 for the 5D4 which was already 2 years older. I decided to risk it all and dump Canon. And now the A7III makes an even more compelling reason to switch. The longer you hold onto Canon, the less demand in the resale market. It took me two months to get rid of my Canon 16-35 Mark 3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2820 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
Oh that's a lot of high end gear.

Do you think I should upgrade? I'm not a pro shooter and don't need to "get the shot". If I sell my Canon stuff and go to Sony, I would've spent $5k out of pocket....The photos will look similar to my current setup, don't you think? Considering 80% of the stills quality is from the lens.

Edit: I guess you just anwsered my question. :D

P.S. I'm really unfamiliar with the creative/technical aside of photography. most of my photos are just to capture memories and vacation. However, I do look forward to shooting more often than once a week.
Last edited by chinaboy1021 on May 30th, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 11:09 pm

Do you think I should upgrade? I'm not a pro shooter and don't need to "get the shot". If I sell my Canon stuff and go to Sony, I would've spent $5k out of pocket....The photos will look similar to my current setup, don't you think? Considering 80% of the stills quality is from the lens.
How much of your free time goes into photography? Value you the investment from time and enjoyment you get out of that hobby. It could always become a secondary form of income.

You don't need to shoot a wedding or an engagement. You can make passive income from just stock photography. Plus, photo gear is never a lost investment, as you can always sell whatever gear you no longer use.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3931 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 11:09 pm

Edit: I guess you just anwsered my question. :D

P.S. I'm really unfamiliar with the creative/technical aside of photography. most of my photos are just to capture memories and vacation. However, I do look forward to shooting more often than once a week.
I think you are due for an upgrade and I would consider the leap to Sony.

If you don't want to leave Canon, a used or grey market 6D2 is pretty decent too.

I started with a T1i, which I returned in a week to get a 50D. So around 2009. I had the Canon 10-22 EFS, 50 1.4, 18-85 Kit Lens. I used that until 2015 when I sold everything to get the 6D and 24-70 Mark 2. I held onto my 50D for a long time too like you.

I then sold the 6D last year in November and bought the 6D2 from Adorama when they were blowing them out on sale. I had the 6D2 new in the box and thought maybe this would be a smarter move to jump to Sony. My cost to upgrade from 6D to 6D2 was only $50 CAD. I sold the printer, paper, spare grip, battery that the kit came with. And cashed the rebate from Canon.

However when I moved to Sony, only the A7R3 was out. You'll have much cheaper adoption cost for Sony than I did, with respect to bodies.

I see the A7III as a capable body for the next 5 or more years, or until you get an itch again.

Plus since it's capable as a hybrid stills and video, you might see yourself playing with video too.

I also find Sony GM lenses much better than the Canon variants.

The 70-200 Sony comes with a removable tripod foot that doesn't need the collar removed like on Sony. Plus you have three dedicated lens buttons you can make for Eye AF, focus hold or any other feature you like. I also find it optically sharper and lighter than Canon.

The 24-70 GM and Canon version are pretty similar is weight and features.

The 16-35 is interesting. It's much lighter than the Canon Mark 3, sharper too, but the barrel is not contained in one unit like the Mark 3 and there's no lock switch like the 24-70. It's probably due to it being lighter so no worries of creep.