• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2018 4:20 pm
Tags:
May 5, 2010
965 posts
275 upvotes
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 11:00 pm
Shot some photos with current 10 year old setup (Canon 50D, 70-200 F2.8 II). Photos came out amazing.

Is the A7iii really different? Body + Sony 70-200mm will cost $6.5k. WTF.......I'm just an enthusiastic shooter (10+ years)

The body is well priced, maybe attach a 55mm Zeiss for like 1.5k extra. But to replace the Canon 70-200 F2.8 ii with Sony equivalent, it's making me second guess this whole "switch to Sony" thing.

$6.5k for just some photos...
Yes, the difference will be huge! It's 10 years old APS-C VS one of the best Full frame sensor in the market right now.
Any cameras from 4-5 years ago will be a huge improvement for you. The biggest changes will be the extra features mirrorless cameras provide, like EVF, focus peaking, etc.

$6.5k is a lot of money and you're the only one who can judge if it's worth it or not.

I'm also like you, doing picture for fun, capturing moments. I have a Nikon D610 that has amazing IQ, only a bit less good than the A7III, but I use it the least. I'll pick one of my APS-C cameras first most of the time because image quality isn't even an issue anymore now a day. Being more portable and fun to use are my biggest criteria. I'll get a $6.5k set up only if I'm doing a paid work, but I don't do paid work. My pictures are shared via FB and Instagram so I don't even pixel peep anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2817 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
May 30th, 2018 11:49 pm

I also find Sony GM lenses much better than the Canon variants.

The 70-200 Sony comes with a removable tripod foot that doesn't need the collar removed like on Sony. Plus you have three dedicated lens buttons you can make for Eye AF, focus hold or any other feature you like. I also find it optically sharper and lighter than Canon.

The 24-70 GM and Canon version are pretty similar is weight and features.

The 16-35 is interesting. It's much lighter than the Canon Mark 3, sharper too, but the barrel is not contained in one unit like the Mark 3 and there's no lock switch like the 24-70. It's probably due to it being lighter so no worries of creep.
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm still learning about the Sony lens lineup.

What's your take on the non-GM and non-Ziess lens, ie. FE 50mm 1.8 or FE 28mm 2.0. Will I be disappointed coming from L lens? I had a Canon 50mm 1.4 and ended up selling it (loud and clunky), photo quality was great though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2817 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
Gin Martini wrote:
May 31st, 2018 12:03 am

I'm also like you, doing picture for fun, capturing moments. I have a Nikon D610 that has amazing IQ, only a bit less good than the A7III, but I use it the least. I'll pick one of my APS-C cameras first most of the time because image quality isn't even an issue anymore now a day. Being more portable and fun to use are my biggest criteria. I'll get a $6.5k set up only if I'm doing a paid work, but I don't do paid work. My pictures are shared via FB and Instagram so I don't even pixel peep anymore.
Yea I agree with you. The best camera is the one you have. Hopefully A7 build is as heavy duty as DSLRs lasting 5-10 years.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2731 posts
345 upvotes
Vaughan
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 31st, 2018 10:16 pm
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm still learning about the Sony lens lineup.

What's your take on the non-GM and non-Ziess lens, ie. FE 50mm 1.8 or FE 28mm 2.0. Will I be disappointed coming from L lens? I had a Canon 50mm 1.4 and ended up selling it (loud and clunky), photo quality was great though.
I'll jump in here. I'm a long time Sony A7 user. All, I'm going to say, like most companies. You pay for what you get. If you're already spending the money on an A7iii, don't cheap out on lenses. I haven't used the 50 f1.8, but heard is mediocre. I have used the Zeiss 55 1.8. In fact, I've owned two copies, both crazy sharp. I sold one initially, because i wasn't using it that often. Now i use it a bit more, but still my least one of my least used lenses, due to focal length preference, not image quality. The fe28 is a pretty good bang for the buck. However, if you're going to compare it to something like the Batis 25, its not in the same league. I've owned both Fe28, and Batis 25. Batis 25 literally has no flaws. Sharp corner to corner, good contrast, good flare control, barrel distortion well controlled, but just bigger than the Fe28, and a bit heavier. The Fe28 corners are not sharp until you stop down to like f5.6 or f8, but the center sharpness is good. The fe28 does also have fairly heavy barrel distortion. One lens i wouldn't recommend is the fe 70-200 f4. Very soft corners wide open. Center sharpness wide open is meh as well. I bought that lens for a trip once, because i went whale watching, and that was a bit too short. If you must own a 70-200, go for the GM version. I would say the biggest gem in the Fe lineup that's not a GM or Zeiss lens, probably the fe 85 1.8. I'd buy the Fe 85 1.8, but i already own the Batis 85, which its comparable to. One of the most praised lenses for the Fe system, is the Loxia 21. I would say the only flaw in that lens, is its, manual focus. That could be a flaw or plus, depending on what type of shooter you are. The Loxia 25 seems to be a winner as well, nothing but good things from it. Although manual as well.

I'd personally recommend getting GM lenses, or Batis lenses. I would say those would be comparable to L lenses, although i can't say for sure, since i haven't owned a Canon since 2008. I do personally own 3 Batis lenses, and love them all.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2817 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
phuviano wrote:
May 31st, 2018 11:20 pm
I'll jump in here. I'm a long time Sony A7 user. All, I'm going to say, like most companies. You pay for what you get.
Good call. Thanks for the detailed write-up. 85mm 1.8 looks good, no brainer comparing to GM/Zeiss pricing.

85mm Focal length I prefer better than 55mm also.

Looking forward to it.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3609 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
May 31st, 2018 11:48 pm

Good call. Thanks for the detailed write-up. 85mm 1.8 looks good, no brainer comparing to GM/Zeiss pricing.

85mm Focal length I prefer better than 55mm also.

Looking forward to it.
The 85 1.4 GM is good, but it's slightly slower and louder than the 1.8 due to all the glass that the motor needs to move.

Officially, it's rated Sony GM > Sony Sigma ART E Mount > Batis > Zeiss

So if GM is out of your budget, the upcoming Sigma releases are worthwhile.

I own the trinity of GM for Sony, so 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 70-200 GM. I ended up getting the Sony 2X Teleconverter instead of the 100-400 GM since I don't do much wildlife at the moment.

The Voightlander lenses are also really nice on the Sony bodies.

The 100-400 GM would be my next pick up.
Sep 28, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
I put myself on Henry's 300+ waitlist about 3 weeks ago. Since then I ordered the camera and the Sony 24-105mm F/4 lens from Dell.ca. Ebates had 10% cashback at the time. Also got 3% in Dell Rewards and will get another 1% back on my CC once it's charged. Their shipping date was initially May 24th, but now that's been pushed back to July 20th. Getting impatient waiting but with the incentives totalling $600 off, I will remain patient.

Have a Nex-6 with a few lenses I've been using for the past 4 years, and will continue to use until my A7iii ships. Hopefully the July 20th date gets pushed forward!
Jul 12, 2010
411 posts
61 upvotes
Back on topic with the OP... I randomly went to sauga henrys and they had a cancellation was kind of getting bullied to get the body + basic kit version which I didn't really want. So I passed on it... 3 days later I called up aden camera they had some in stock body only..held it for me for 3 days and picked it up. Quite happy with the purchase, I got the MC 11 adaptor from bh for 220 after everything pretty good just to adaptor my canon stuff.. ofcourse I don;t recommend it for long term but sure as hell beats trying to sell all my stuff because sony lenses cost a heck of alot more. I kind of hate the A7iii EVF I agree its kind of ass. mirrorless turn on and off time is kind of a pain for me to miss shots like when I;m just walking around and wanting to quickly get a snap. It feels heavier to carry my a73 than my canons just mainly due to the weight imbalance between body and lense and carrying it for long sessions with heavy prograde glass kind of sucks ass...

I paid for the tamron 25-75 2.8 grabbing ti tomorrow, I hope they fix the auto focus issue, but its like the best price for performance 3rd party sony mount lens that gives E-AF so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. plus the size and weight seems good for a all around on the go setup . everyone is recommending that 55mm but its kind of super pricey for a 55f1.8. I know its super sharp. but I'm not a super fan of that focal length.

Any recommendations for a next lens I have a 70-200 f2.8 canon and 85mm that I'm probably just going to adapter for a while just due to sony counter parts are just too expensive and I already have them and can deal with the basic focus feature.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3609 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
andy28 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 6:02 am
Back on topic with the OP... I randomly went to sauga henrys and they had a cancellation was kind of getting bullied to get the body + basic kit version which I didn't really want. So I passed on it... 3 days later I called up aden camera they had some in stock body only..held it for me for 3 days and picked it up. Quite happy with the purchase, I got the MC 11 adaptor from bh for 220 after everything pretty good just to adaptor my canon stuff.. ofcourse I don;t recommend it for long term but sure as hell beats trying to sell all my stuff because sony lenses cost a heck of alot more. I kind of hate the A7iii EVF I agree its kind of ass. mirrorless turn on and off time is kind of a pain for me to miss shots like when I;m just walking around and wanting to quickly get a snap. It feels heavier to carry my a73 than my canons just mainly due to the weight imbalance between body and lense and carrying it for long sessions with heavy prograde glass kind of sucks ass...

I paid for the tamron 25-75 2.8 grabbing ti tomorrow, I hope they fix the auto focus issue, but its like the best price for performance 3rd party sony mount lens that gives E-AF so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. plus the size and weight seems good for a all around on the go setup . everyone is recommending that 55mm but its kind of super pricey for a 55f1.8. I know its super sharp. but I'm not a super fan of that focal length.

Any recommendations for a next lens I have a 70-200 f2.8 canon and 85mm that I'm probably just going to adapter for a while just due to sony counter parts are just too expensive and I already have them and can deal with the basic focus feature.
Well, the Sony 12-24 is quite worth the money. It's much cheaper than the Nikon and Canon equivalents plus a lot lighter. I suggested it since you might want a focal coverage in the wide angle area.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2817 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
andy28 wrote:
Back on topic with the OP... I randomly went to sauga henrys and they had a cancellation was kind of getting bullied to get the body + basic kit version which I didn't really want. So I passed on it... 3 days later I called up aden camera they had some in stock body only..held it for me for 3 days and picked it up.
Wow lucky! I've been calling Markham everyday but nothing. I guess I can just keep calling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2817 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 7:03 am
Well, the Sony 12-24 is quite worth the money. It's much cheaper than the Nikon and Canon equivalents plus a lot lighter. I suggested it since you might want a focal coverage in the wide angle area.
Yea that looks like a great lens.

3 lens I'm planning to get in order:
1. 85mm F1.8
2. 12-24 F4
3. 70-200 F2.8

Btw - Do macro lens in general tend to focus slow? Can I use a 90mm Sony Macro to replace the 85mm F1.8
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3609 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 8:43 am
Yea that looks like a great lens.

3 lens I'm planning to get in order:
1. 85mm F1.8
2. 12-24 F4
3. 70-200 F2.8

Btw - Do macro lens in general tend to focus slow? Can I use a 90mm Sony Macro to replace the 85mm F1.8
Do you do macro? Or looking to use it for portraits?

Sony has a 100mm portrait lens with special coating that brings out the bokeh. Too specific for my needs so I passed on it

Only drawback to the 12-24 is that you can't use filters with it. You can jerryrig a smaller filter with grafter tape to keep it in place but you get some light leaks on the edges.

It's also a F/4 which is why I went with the 16-35 GM since it's 2.8 and takes 82 mm filters like the 24-70 GM.

The Voightlander 12 mm is also a very nice lens. If Adorama does an accidental price on it again, I'll grab it.

My next pick up with be the 100-400 GM for wildlife/compression landscapes and the Sigma Art 14 for astro.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3609 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
andy28 wrote:
I kind of hate the A7iii EVF I agree its kind of ass. mirrorless turn on and off time is kind of a pain for me to miss shots like when I;m just walking around and wanting to quickly get a snap. It feels heavier to carry my a73 than my canons just mainly due to the weight imbalance between body and lense and carrying it for long sessions with heavy prograde glass kind of sucks ass...
The A7III EVF is the same as the A7II/R2. The A9 and A7R3 share the same EVF, so a lot nicer.

The new batteries are much better, so you can just leave the camera on the entire time so it doesn't need to boot up. I bought two extra batteries and have yet to find myself using them all in one or two days. I find it to last as long as the dSLR batteries now.

If you do sports or wildlife you really need to get the faster write cards to clear out the buffer.

I just started dambling into video/sports photography and the Sony G cards have been very clutch.

In terms of balance issues, I recommend getting a battery grip or the SmallRig/RRS grip. It gives you a bit extra to hold on the bottom of the camera and also acts as an L Bracket.

I'll post a few pics of it tonight.

If you find you use the 70-200 range often, I would just sell the Canon at some point soon and get the Sony version, assuming you have the 2.8.
The Sony 70-200 GM is crazy sharper and offers a lot more practical uses. It has a slot in the lens hood you can use for quick access to the polarizer you might be using. It also lets you just remove the tripod foot instead of the full collar. Also you can map custom buttons to the three custom focus hold buttons on the lens. I also found it lighter than the Canon 70-200 Mark 2.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2731 posts
345 upvotes
Vaughan
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 8:43 am
Yes, generally speaking. Especially at closer macro distances like 1:1. I'm speaking about macro lenses in general, not just the Fe 90 macro.

If your ok with having f2.8 as opposed to f1.8, then probably yes.

I have both the sony fe 90 macro, and batis 85 f1.8. I use the 90 strictly for macro only, and use MF about 99% of the time. I carry the batis as my general purpose short telephoto.

Everyone is different, but i think the 90 can definitely be used to substitute for an 85.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895