Art and Photography

Anyone want to learn Lightroom...Tonight?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2009 10:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes

Anyone want to learn Lightroom...Tonight?

I hosted a session a few months ago with some people at TPMG for those who wanted to learn Adobe Lightroom. I love this program and do most of my processing/workflow in it.

If anyone is interested in learning, maybe we can set something up with some RFD'ers in Toronto?

Neil
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
87 replies
Banned
Jul 1, 2009
128 posts
cambridge
i wouldnt mind... i've been using LR3 Beta for the last month or so, but always looking to take in more knowledge
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes
cambridgeseller wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 1:58 pm
i wouldnt mind... i've been using LR3 Beta for the last month or so, but always looking to take in more knowledge
We will also need the experienced ones to show everyone the way! Last session we did was advanced and beginner, split up. Worked well.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Dec 3, 2003
332 posts
Yes please.
I totally need this.

... not to mention a decent computer... but that's another topic.
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
I consider myself an advanced beginner at lightroom, and so can probably answer questions as best as I can. As far as conducting an actual workshop/lecture session is concerned, I'm not the best person to lead one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5864 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
The more you use it, the more you learn about it!

Unless there's more to just the develop tab?
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Aug 25, 2004
151 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
I would be interested as well depening on timing.
Oct 11, 2006
970 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
sounds great! learning is always a good thing
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 3:29 pm
The more you use it, the more you learn about it!

Unless there's more to just the develop tab?
I'm of the same line of thought myself. Lightroom is pretty intuitive as opposed to photoshop.

Although lately, I've tried to tweak different, efficient ways to incorporate the library modules' extra features into my workflow. Rating, keywording, etc seem obvious enough to learn how to use, but to use it to one's advantage might take some more thought. It's a subjective thing that everyone does differently of course.

eg. I usually run through a set of photos from, say and event with friends, in this manner (talking about 100+ shots):

- first pass: mark obvious garbage for deletion
- second pass: give star ratings
- filter out 3 stars and above
- third pass: examine duplicates/similiar shots at 100% to pick out the best one. mark the rest for deletion.
- forth pass: run the 5-stars, and maybe the 4's through develop first so that I can get the best ones done and onto the web, facebook, email, print etc. to whoever keeps bugging me to see the pics. :D
- Lastly, I process the rest as I find the time/interest to.

Others most probably do it differently, and more efficiently too!
I've barely even started to touch the other modules because I've never been able to get the print module to work properly, and so I print outside of lightroom, and have only played with the web module briefly. There aren't a lot of free web module plugins either.
Mar 18, 2007
714 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
I could use this tutorial quite badly. My patience with picasa photo editor is running out quite fast.
Sep 28, 2009
420 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I would be interested in a session.

I will follow this thread to see what comes up.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2155 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Neil,

Are you willing to teach Lightroom?

I'm interested in learning and just sharing what I know so far if you host it somewhere.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14951 posts
1915 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Would be a fun learning experience, I just installed lightroom on my computer :P lol. I have no clue how to use it.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2155 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I downloaded a bunch of presets and I haven't been able to find any that are particularly useful.

Do you guys have any favorite presets you would like to share?