Careers

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2016 2:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1039 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

Hey, I got hired as a field technician for bell technical solutions (previously entourage) and started my training this monday and i am starting to get worried a little. the job looks extremely dangerous as we have to climb up the ladders, climb up the poles and deal with live electricity and stuff. and the first day, the trainer was mostly talking about the accidents happened in the past.. just kept on going and going how someone lost both the legs some lost an eye, thumbs, broke backs, shoulders you name it. yet the starting pay is basically same as what i was getting at call centre where i didn't have to risk my life and on top of that we have to pay for the benefit package and also union fee. well it's only the 3rd day of my training so i'll stop complaing for now. anyone been working for bell tech solutions or know a field technician in telecommunications field, please share your story. thanks
FS List:

263 replies
Sep 27, 2008
23 posts
Actually few people apply for pole-climbing, such a dangerous job. My friend attended Bell training last spring then quit after he saw/heard someone slipped and fell off the pole......
Mar 12, 2009
55 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a friend work at Bell Tech as well. He ended up leaving after about a year or so.

The pay is not that great when you consider the risks involved and the fact you have to work outdoors all the time sometimes in poor lighting and working conditions. He also complained it was very difficult to get proper equipment from the company and they'd frequently screw technicians over in terms of gear and supplies to save money.

I also work in a field techician job (slightly different field) and to be honest whats going on with Bell Tech is going on with most of the related industries. I don't know if its because of the large number of unemployeed computer/electronics/sci/eng grads out there or what but these companies are not looking for technicans to make a career working with them anymore. They view their technicians as disposable, they come and go all the time and can be replaced at any time.

Its gotten to the point after having gone through com sci at college I went back and got another diploma in a different field and I'm currently trying to get out of the technical field all together. Technical related professions are way too crowded and the salaries for those jobs have been falling like a rocks. Maybe its different in other parts of the country but Ottawa is horrible right now.
Sep 27, 2008
23 posts
lancing wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 11:08 pm
i had a friend work at bell tech as well. He ended up leaving after about a year or so.

The pay is not that great when you consider the risks involved and the fact you have to work outdoors all the time sometimes in poor lighting and working conditions. He also complained it was very difficult to get proper equipment from the company and they'd frequently screw technicians over in terms of gear and supplies to save money.

I also work in a field techician job (slightly different field) and to be honest whats going on with bell tech is going on with most of the related industries. I don't know if its because of the large number of unemployeed computer/electronics/sci/eng grads out there or what but these companies are not looking for technicans to make a career working with them anymore. They view their technicians as disposable, they come and go all the time and can be replaced at any time.

Its gotten to the point after having gone through com sci at college i went back and got another diploma in a different field and i'm currently trying to get out of the technical field all together. Technical related professions are way too crowded and the salaries for those jobs have been falling like a rocks. Maybe its different in other parts of the country but ottawa is horrible right now.
+1
Mar 27, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
toronto
What you are thinking is 100% true. Once you start working they will
bombard you with safety meetings, replaying the same topics over and
over. They do this to cover themselves legally. But once your in the field
you will see that many of the job situations are unsafe.
Managers are like robots repeating the same things over and over.
They will stress speed and quality and load you up with jobs.
Good managers will be fired or demoted and the ones that can fool you stay.
You will meet regular Bell technicians in the field and they look down
on Bell technical solutions. They are paid 32.00 p/hr and you are paid
13.20 . They have a really good arrangement and are compensated for the
work they do. But you will see you can never get what they have. At best
you will make 21.00p/hr but it will take you 5 yrs to get to this level.

If you have another job opportunity take it, if not be prepared to have
your patience tested. You will be blown away by how disorganized Bell is.

I spent 3 year with BTS and recently left to work for a cable locating company.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
25 upvotes
pilmania wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 9:36 pm
Hey, I got hired as a field technician for bell technical solutions (previously entourage) and started my training this monday and i am starting to get worried a little. the job looks extremely dangerous as we have to climb up the ladders, climb up the poles and deal with live electricity and stuff. and the first day, the trainer was mostly talking about the accidents happened in the past.. just kept on going and going how someone lost both the legs some lost an eye, thumbs, broke backs, shoulders you name it. yet the starting pay is basically same as what i was getting at call centre where i didn't have to risk my life and on top of that we have to pay for the benefit package and also union fee. well it's only the 3rd day of my training so i'll stop complaing for now. anyone been working for bell tech solutions or know a field technician in telecommunications field, please share your story. thanks
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/609589
Bell Canada just got fined $280,000 for deaths of cable workers . Bell had hired a private contractor to do the job for them & the safety conditions were pretty bad.

Your work is pretty similar to what these guys were doing.

Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1399 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
Lancing wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 11:08 pm
I had a friend work at Bell Tech as well. He ended up leaving after about a year or so.

I also work in a field techician job (slightly different field) and to be honest whats going on with Bell Tech is going on with most of the related industries. I don't know if its because of the large number of unemployeed computer/electronics/sci/eng grads out there or what but these companies are not looking for technicans to make a career working with them anymore. They view their technicians as disposable, they come and go all the time and can be replaced at any time.

Its gotten to the point after having gone through com sci at college I went back and got another diploma in a different field and I'm currently trying to get out of the technical field all together. Technical related professions are way too crowded and the salaries for those jobs have been falling like a rocks. Maybe its different in other parts of the country but Ottawa is horrible right now.
Weird.. to me it seems jobs in the technical field are pretty abundant and the pay is better than most other fields of work..
Mar 12, 2009
55 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
drey2k wrote:
Mar 29th, 2009 2:25 am
Weird.. to me it seems jobs in the technical field are pretty abundant and the pay is better than most other fields of work..
The jobs definately are abundant but thats largely due to heavy turnover in most technical field support jobs. A general rule of advice when seeking any career is you usually want to get into the companies/organizations where its difficult to get in. That usually means people like their jobs there and the turnover is low.

When I started with the current company I'm with (won't name them here for obvious reasons) it was one of the higher ranked companies on the list of top 50 in Canada to work for and everyone generally liked their job and few people ever left. Now they don't even qualify for that top 50 list anymore.

Over the past 6 years or so we've gone through 3 cycles of layoffs where the top paying technicians are laid off and replaced with new guys at a much lower salary bracket. The new technicians hired now start at a little over half of what the previous generation of technicians started at and get significantly less trainining. As a result of the poor salaries, under staffing and the insane schedules people are being asked to work our turnover rate is skyrocketing. Thus we have a constant cycle every year or so of new replacements coming in to take over for the old guys who are going out. Overall our level of service has become horrible but I think we're getting by dispite that because we are under bidding contracts but signficant amounts which is appealing to recession concerned companies. Ironically dispite the fact that technician salaries are frozen and we are brutally understaffed virtual all upper management still got a raise and large bonuses this year. Top exec bonus was about 2 million I beleive.

There are three senarios where I'd recommend this type of job:
1. Your a fresh grad who needs to get a few years of work experience for the resume to look for better positions.
2. Your just got laid off and need any type of job in your field to tie you over for a short time.
3. Your a student who can successfully mix their school schedule and work schedules.

Other then that my experience is your making a choice you will more then likely regret later.
Nov 28, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
tjthemanto wrote:
Mar 28th, 2009 6:01 pm
Bell Canada just got fined $280,000 for deaths of cable workers . Bell had hired a private contractor to do the job for them & the safety conditions were pretty bad.

Your work is pretty similar to what these guys were doing.

Not true. You won't be doing man hole work.
Nov 28, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
TK99 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 10:51 pm
Actually few people apply for pole-climbing, such a dangerous job. My friend attended Bell training last spring then quit after he saw/heard someone slipped and fell off the pole......
Not dangerous at all. They give you the proper equipment, and with proper use, it is very safe. On average, ONE person falls of the pole a year. Out of 3000 employees, and thousands of customer visits, we've never had a death at BTS.
Nov 28, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
shagharbour wrote:
Mar 28th, 2009 3:24 pm
What you are thinking is 100% true. Once you start working they will
bombard you with safety meetings, replaying the same topics over and
over.
Saftey meetings are once a month.
shagharbour wrote:
But once your in the field you will see that many of the job situations are unsafe.
Managers are like robots repeating the same things over and over.
They will stress speed and quality and load you up with jobs.
Good managers will be fired or demoted and the ones that can fool you stay.

Not true. You get your jobs one at a time. Managers are around for years at a time. It is very difficult to get into management with this company.
shagharbour wrote:
They are paid 32.00 p/hr and you are paid
13.20 . They have a really good arrangement and are compensated for the
work they do. But you will see you can never get what they have. At best
you will make 21.00p/hr but it will take you 5 yrs to get to this level.
You must have been talking to a Bell tech that was around for 30 years. Oh yeah, they all are.
shagharbour wrote:
I spent 3 year with BTS and recently left to work for a cable locating company.
Thanks for the extra work since you guys don't locate BSW's....
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1692 posts
58 upvotes
what's the difference between Bell technicians and Bell technical solutions?
Mar 12, 2009
55 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
As I understand it, Bell is big company that everyone knows the technicians there are significantly better paid.

Bell Technical Solutions is a seperate company that just does field service (and some sales). They had a different name a few years ago, can't recall the old name now.

My buddy from college worked in both as he got in straight out of college during the last strike. He loved working for Bell but did not have anything good to say about Bell Technical Solutions. He eventually got fed up with Bell Tech and ended up leaving and becoming and Avonics technician working with the military.

I'll try and talk to him sometime as ask him about some of the stuff he saw there, if hes got net access where he is right now he might even be willing to post about it.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1692 posts
58 upvotes
what about jobs with telus? anybody know? :lol:
Jul 20, 2005
177 posts
1 upvote
I worked at bts for about 8 months before I quit. Your pay starts at 13.20 and you get a $1.00 raise every 6 months. IMO, I think this was one of the easiest jobs ever! This job made me lazier than I already am, but the only problem I had was the winter time, I hate working in the winter time. And also it takes a long time before they remove your TPT (temporary part time) to RPT or RFT. By the way, where do you work? DOWNSVIEW?
× < >