Careers

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 30, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
pilmania wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 9:36 pm
Hey, I got hired as a field technician for bell technical solutions (previously entourage) and started my training this monday and i am starting to get worried a little. the job looks extremely dangerous as we have to climb up the ladders, climb up the poles and deal with live electricity and stuff. and the first day, the trainer was mostly talking about the accidents happened in the past.. just kept on going and going how someone lost both the legs some lost an eye, thumbs, broke backs, shoulders you name it. yet the starting pay is basically same as what i was getting at call centre where i didn't have to risk my life and on top of that we have to pay for the benefit package and also union fee. well it's only the 3rd day of my training so i'll stop complaing for now. anyone been working for bell tech solutions or know a field technician in telecommunications field, please share your story. thanks
Your absolutely right, this job and the company are pure garbage I worked there, sat through their safety meetings and then as soon as you get out in the field your manager throws your safety out the window. My "manager/moron" Tim Jacky threatened to kill me after taking me into a small room for a man to man after I tried to safety a job, I grieved him to the "union/ ***** " and got fired under section 8.04 less than 400 hours, my ROE showed up with 752 hours on it.

These people are pure ***** , the job is ***** , take ANYTHING ELSE ANYWHERE.

PS: Hey Tim, come and get me pal.)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
ScrewBTS wrote:
Jul 31st, 2013 3:27 pm
Your absolutely right, this job and the company are pure garbage I worked there, sat through their safety meetings and then as soon as you get out in the field your manager throws your safety out the window. My "manager/moron" Tim Jacky threatened to kill me after taking me into a small room for a man to man after I tried to safety a job, I grieved him to the "union/ ***** " and got fired under section 8.04 less than 400 hours, my ROE showed up with 752 hours on it.

These people are pure ***** , the job is ***** , take ANYTHING ELSE ANYWHERE.

PS: Hey Tim, come and get me pal.)
Post the area you worked out of. One day, the person you despise may be looking for a job and if we know it is the same guy from the same area, he magically might not get a call back. It's happened...
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
Hi,

I have an interview tomorrow with BTS. The lady says my interview would take 4 hours to complete, what do you guys think about the job? I am in the Scarborough area.

Will i be sitting at home waiting for a call or will i have a certain fixed schedule most of the time? I currently work in retail getting paid minimum, do you guys think it would be wise for me to quit my current job for BTS?

Is this a good job to get my career started?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1516 posts
176 upvotes
smitty15 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2009 9:00 pm
Not dangerous at all. They give you the proper equipment, and with proper use, it is very safe. On average, ONE person falls of the pole a year. Out of 3000 employees, and thousands of customer visits, we've never had a death at BTS.
That's one too many ...
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
Evinecz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2014 8:54 pm
Hi,

I have an interview tomorrow with BTS. The lady says my interview would take 4 hours to complete, what do you guys think about the job? I am in the Scarborough area.

Will i be sitting at home waiting for a call or will i have a certain fixed schedule most of the time? I currently work in retail getting paid minimum, do you guys think it would be wise for me to quit my current job for BTS?

Thanks
They may give you little to no schedule because they want you to fill in whenever possible. So they may even need you to work for sure, but they don't want you to know that because you will plan to be busy or unavailable on your unscheduled days. So they do not inform you of when they exactly need you to work ahead of time. This way, when they do call, you are more likely to rush in and grab work with no complaints.

What career are we talking about? You didn't say if you work full time retail or not. Do you need the money or can you afford to change career paths maybe at a reduced income for a bit until things pick up?
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
AudiDude wrote:
Feb 18th, 2014 8:22 am
They may give you little to no schedule because they want you to fill in whenever possible. So they may even need you to work for sure, but they don't want you to know that because you will plan to be busy or unavailable on your unscheduled days. So they do not inform you of when they exactly need you to work ahead of time. This way, when they do call, you are more likely to rush in and grab work with no complaints.

What career are we talking about? You didn't say if you work full time retail or not. Do you need the money or can you afford to change career paths maybe at a reduced income for a bit until things pick up?
Hi

Sorry, to be more specific, im not sure what career path to take right now, i have just finished school and currently working in retail making roughly $14 an hour with 30 hours a week. My pay increase each year is 2% which is not much comparing to BTS.

Im not dying for money right now, but i would like to make at least $17 an hour in the next two years or so, which my current job wont allow.

Also what do you think of the job? It doesnt sound too safe to me. Thanks
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
If you can better your financial situation, by all means go for it. My only advice is try to be in a designated career such as a CA,PHARMA,P ENG, Lic trades....... skilled is always the better way. I heard class 'A' transport drivers are in big demand,$ 50- 80 k, not bad coin.
Aug 19, 2009
6 posts
Any techs got advice? I am an experienced tech Bell and BTS and also a previous out of province telco which I will not mention. Looking how I can get my resume to the front of the line. Considering the boat load of applications they must have. Looking to get back in, I quit BTS about 7 years ago for financial reasons. Realized how much I enjoyed the position and sick of dealing with the other side of telecommunications .
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13272 posts
1167 upvotes
Garbage company with garbage pay. Don't bother.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 7, 2014
5 posts
Evinecz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2014 8:54 pm
Hi,

Thanks
Working in toronto you will be getting a fair amount of hours per week as Toronto is fairly busy.

You will have a more or less fixed schedule although since BTS is a unionized company everything is based on seniority and you will be new as per the current contract they're allowed to change your schedule the day before your shift, they will either schedule for the day if they're short techs or unschedule you if too many techs are scheduled, this is all based based on the workload for the next day.

I've been at BTS for a while now, I don't work in Toronto, but since I started I haven't had single week that I've worked less than 40 hours.
Jan 5, 2009
430 posts
35 upvotes
BTSGuy wrote:
Mar 8th, 2014 4:54 pm
Working in toronto you will be getting a fair amount of hours per week as Toronto is fairly busy.

You will have a more or less fixed schedule although since BTS is a unionized company everything is based on seniority and you will be new as per the current contract they're allowed to change your schedule the day before your shift, they will either schedule for the day if they're short techs or unschedule you if too many techs are scheduled, this is all based based on the workload for the next day.

I've been at BTS for a while now, I don't work in Toronto, but since I started I haven't had single week that I've worked less than 40 hours.
BTSGuy, how long have you been a tech? How is the salary? Did you have prior experience in telecom before joining bell? Just looking for additional input. I'm 26, in IT, but always looking for other avenues to jump into.
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
How is the logistics attendant position? I inquire about this position since the tech position doesn't seem like it suits me.

Anyone know anything about this position?
Feb 24, 2013
577 posts
105 upvotes
none of your busines…
I seen a job posting for a field tech internship position. The pay stated on the job description isn't enough compared to the danger associated with it.
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
Evinecz wrote:
Mar 11th, 2014 11:55 pm
How is the logistics attendant position? I inquire about this position since the tech position doesn't seem like it suits me.

Anyone know anything about this position?
BUMP, anyone know anything about this position?
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
Evinecz wrote:
Mar 13th, 2014 6:54 pm
BUMP, anyone know anything about this position?
Anyone previously worked here know anything about the logistics attendant position?